Kentucky Kingdom

Well, this was news worth waiting for.  I've never ridden one of these contraptions, and don't know if I will since I don't like going backwards.  But I think it makes good sense for the park and ties in well with the weather theme they have going on.

I'm more intrigued about the train and work on Thunder Run.  It's a great ride as is after the million dollars put into it in late 2013 with RMC retracking it. 

• Like 4

Honestly.. I might have to stop by next year despite it not being on my priorities list. I'm just a little curious about these Larson Loopers.. They obviously don't look that fun, but I need to try it before I continue to roll my eyes at whenever Six Flags adds one. Luckily they don't have too many other parks that don't have them :P

Almost feels like KK is still a SIX park when we look at its addition for this year and next year haha now all we need is a 4D free spin!

• Like 2

I wonder if Eye of the Storm will go in the old dragster area. They had sgns up there last seasons about "Fun Under Construction" or something so maybe they are clearing that space for the ride. Would fit in easily there and give an attraction there on that long stretch between Storm Chaser and Raging Rapids

• Like 2

(regarding KK's 2017 addition) Not bad! I've never been on a Larson Looper before, so that should be interesting! They are really running on that storm theme, though! Might try to sneak a trip down there next year to try it out! 

EDIT: Also, I'm really glad they are not calling it a "coaster"

• Like 2

So, in addition to EotS and work/train on TR, there are several improvements coming: A new entrance to HB, more shade structures at HB and KK que lines, tables, chairs, etc, more AC in food places and restrooms (which is awesome,  that is something that KK is miles ahead of KI on, comfortable inside eating and cold restrooms--those blasts of coolness on hot, humid days is great and the restrooms don't stink!), more ticket windows at front gate and new tech to speed up pass sales and in park sales.

Pretty solid year ahead it seems.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/33816449/kentucky-kingdom-announces-new-attractions-for-2017

• Like 2

I wonder if Eye of the Storm will go in the old dragster area. They had sgns up there last seasons about "Fun Under Construction" or something so maybe they are clearing that space for the ride. Would fit in easily there and give an attraction there on that long stretch between Storm Chaser and Raging Rapids

I've seen video touring the closed KK and it seemed like an area was getting prepped for a flat over by SC in the 2nd inversion and turn around area. The video narrated a possible psth going under the corked roll where there is that space we've all seen.

At one point back when Holiday World was trying to make Timberliners happen on Voyage, it was revealed that they had paid something like $600,000 for two trains. Someone here with industry knowledge pointed out that that would be a great deal for one train.

Later on, one or both of those trains showed up on a used ride website. I don't remember the price, but I don't think they were over $1 million. That was a couple years ago. I can't remember what site they were on, or else I'd check to see if they're still there.

If no one has bought them, I'd wonder if one of them is heading to Kentucky Kingdom. $500,000 for a new train AND additional work on the ride sounds like a pretty good deal...

^

Timberliners are the most uncomfortable coaster trains I've ever ridden, and I've ridden a Chance Toboggan coaster. (And Whizzer with a close childhood friend, though that's a completely different sort of uncomfortable ;))

I'm glad I haven't renewed my season pass yet, because if I found out that they had rendered my favorite ride in the park completely unenjoyable, I'd be pretty bummed to have spent the money on a season pass. I think I'll wait until we get more details on that train before I renew.

I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to retrofit a transfer track onto the ride so that it could run two trains?

• Like 5

From the ACE Facebook page:

On the heels of a very successful 2016 season, Kentucky Kingdom
is upgrading its classic wooden coaster, Thunder Run, which will receive a new train from our friends at Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc. and track modifications at a cost of more than half a million dollars. Bill Hargrave, the park’s Vice President of Construction, remarked, “This new train replaces the original Thunder Run train first put into service in 1990. With its advanced technology, the new train, together with the track improvements, will give coaster enthusiasts a smoother and faster ride.”

In addition, the park will be adding a new ride, “Eye of the Storm,” described as a 24-passenger, high-speed thrill ride with a roller coaster train that circles a seven-story loop, featuring continuous rotations, inversions, and both forward and backward motions, which is clearly a Fire Ball/Super Loop from our friends at Larson International. Two additional children’s rides will also be introduced in 2017.

Source: facebook.com, ACE page.

• Like 1

That's actually kind of disappointing.  I was hoping for something different than PTC rolling stock.  I'll still give it a shot, though.

if I had to guess, these trains are going to look somewhat similar to Thunderhawk's new trains, in my opinion I love the look of the new trains! Can't wait to see how they ride! 

http://coasterinsanity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Thunderhawk-Train1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...