Kentucky Kingdom

Any news or pictures of the new Enterprise replacement whose name escapes me? Seems like the park would have released construction photos by now but so far, nothing

During the Winter Walkthrough they said it should get in by April or May (Cant remember) the Enterprise Pad is completely gutted

Fun Fact: The Enterprise gondolas are still on site but they are sold. One of them is going to a museum!
dc9a9f0bda81c5b7227c46cb2f302b90.jpg
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

After looking through this thread, what is with all the hate from this interpreter guy?  KK is doing very well.

Been hearing of a potential t rex hyper in 2019.  I thought there was a height restriction?

Park officials have stated at enthusiast events that additional land is available to KK from the fair board and the height restriction would allow for a hyper in that location.

• Like 2

I am excited about KK being reopened.  It appears that they have done well.  They have a great coaster collection, a good combination of flat rides and a good water park (or so I have been told.)  If they continue to carefully build out the park they should be successful for a long time.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

I could see kk having the worlds #1 ranked coaster.

I don't think that if they built a hyper it would be a good business move.  That's way too much of an expense - especially if we are talking about B&M.

There is, however, a company out west in the mountains that they've worked with before, and I'd speculate that they'll work with them again.

Inexpensive and excellent.  That's what they need.

• Like 1

I don't think that if they built a hyper it would be a good business move.  That's way too much of an expense - especially if we are talking about B&M.
There is, however, a company out west in the mountains that they've worked with before, and I'd speculate that they'll work with them again.
That didn't stop hart from being the first independent theme park company to purchase a b&m rollercoaster in 1997.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stashua123 said:
6 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

That didn't stop hart from being the first independent theme park company to purchase a b&m rollercoaster in 1997.

How did that end up for them?

How did that end up for them?
That ended up well for the time. Kentucky kingdom was purchased by premier parks in July 1997. Their attendance skyrocketed to 1.3 million.

Because of premier parks and later six flags neglect and lack of upkeep after 2000... They allowed the park to decline.

2 minutes ago, stashua123 said:

That ended up well for the time. Kentucky kingdom was purchased by premier parks in July 1997. Their attendance skyrocketed to 1.3 million.

Because of premier parks and later six flags neglect and lack of upkeep after 2000... They allowed the park to decline.

I think that in today's environment if they dropped $20MM on a hyper they'd be closed in 3 years.  Remember that a sharp spike in attendance can destroy a park that doesn't have the infrastructure to support it.  See also: Geauga Lake.

I think that in today's environment if they dropped $20MM on a hyper they'd be closed in 3 years.  Remember that a sharp spike in attendance can destroy a park that doesn't have the infrastructure to support it.  See also: Geauga Lake.
The thing is. They did not overbuild to that degree. They had a sharp spike and were prepared for it. Geaugua lake was not. Kentucky kingdoms downfall was the neglect and poor upkeep and service by six flags from 1998 onwards

^They don't have the means to have that kind of plan right now though.  They're a niche park and should continue to operate like one.  It's a wiser long term plan than putting all their eggs in one attraction.  

Not to mention there is no way that Kentucky's government approves of such a large expenditure. 

• Like 2

I'd bet good money they get a raptor or t-rex track. It's just too good of a perfect fit from a company that has been involved with two of their other rides that have done phenomenal for them.

Honestly I would like for them to get something different, Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are really fun, but they almost feel like they are the same? Minus inversions and all that. They are both crazy air time coasters. 

1 hour ago, TheRickster said:

Honestly I would like for them to get something different, Lightning Rod and Storm Chaser are really fun, but they almost feel like they are the same? Minus inversions and all that. They are both crazy air time coasters. 

If I'm not mistaken, both rides' centerlines were done by Ride Centerline, LLC, which is a company that Alan Schilke is part of. Alan also does most/all of the centerline work for RMC's rides. That's almost certainly why.

I haven't ridden Storm Chaser myself, but I've noticed some similarities between Lightning Run and other RMC rides.

1 hour ago, TheRickster said:

I'd bet good money they get a raptor or t-rex track. It's just too good of a perfect fit from a company that has been involved with two of their other rides that have done phenomenal for them.

Diversifying their lineup is one way they can compete with Kings Island on a smaller scale. Adding unique coasters would set Kentucky Kingdom apart from KI. I'm not saying that I'd prefer Kentucky Kingdom to Kings Island but if they add were to add something like a Dive Coaster, an RMC Raptor, or even a 4d free spin, I'd trek down to Louisville more often.

1 hour ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Lightning rod is at a totally different park.  Lightning run is a chance. 

Thanks, I fixed it. I've also been calling Storm Chaser Storm Runner all day. I might as well just start talking about greased lightning now to... xD

29 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

If I'm not mistaken, both rides' centerlines were done by Ride Centerline, LLC, which is a company that Alan Schilke is part of. Alan also does most/all of the centerline work for RMC's rides. That's almost certainly why.

I haven't ridden Storm Chaser myself, but I've noticed some similarities between Lightning Run and other RMC rides.

Both are from different companies, but they share a ton. Which I'm sure it a big part of why they feel so close. If lightning run was made by RMC and the track looked a hair different, everyone would be going crazy talking about it. The trains are also identical as far as I can tell other than the looks of them. I actually kind of like LRs handle they have on the bar though. Wish SR had them.

Both the rides feel like they were made by the same person and other than the looks of them and inversions they ride very much alike.

A GCI would also work very well for them. But from a marketing perspective they already have a wooden coaster. I think a 4d RMC or Raptor is the most likely. It just would fit the best for the park from a business relationship and what the park is capable of dealing with. I think RMC should also really be using it to push what their rides are capable of doing to a small park that has really struggled. Without RMC I don't think that park would be what it is. They fit a PERFECT void and need for small parks that can't afford to have a big B&M/Intamin operation.

2 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Honestly I would like for them to get something different, Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are really fun, but they almost feel like they are the same? Minus inversions and all that. They are both crazy air time coasters. 

At the winter event they had, they kayfabe hesitated to answer questions about another RMC. I think you’re correct: the size is right, the price is right, and the park is right.

I think an RMC Raptor would be perfect for Kentucky Kingdom. I'd also love to see an Inverted Impulse there; perhaps in the front half of the park as most of the coasters (T3, Storm Chaser, Thunder Run, even Roller Skater) are in the back of the park while Lightning Run is all by itself.

But please, don't touch T3; I love that ride!!!*

*Unpopular Opinion, I know... 

EDIT: Maybe a small (full-circuit)launch coaster could work?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Both are from different companies, but they share a ton. Which I'm sure it a big part of why they feel so close. If lightning run was made by RMC and the track looked a hair different, everyone would be going crazy talking about it. The trains are also identical as far as I can tell other than the looks of them. I actually kind of like LRs handle they have on the bar though. Wish SR had them.

Both the rides feel like they were made by the same person and other than the looks of them and inversions they ride very much alike.

I worded my post poorly--I realize Lightning Run isn't an RMC. My point is just that the same person almost certainly *did* design the forces for both rides. Sorry, I got kinda muddled there.

• Like 1

I think an RMC Raptor would be perfect for Kentucky Kingdom. I'd also love to see an Inverted Impulse there; perhaps in the front half of the park as most of the coasters (T3, Storm Chaser, Thunder Run, even Roller Skater) are in the back of the park while Lightning Run is all by itself.
But please, don't touch T3; I love that ride!!!*
*Unpopular Opinion, I know... 
EDIT: Maybe a small (full-circuit)launch coaster could work?
Ed Hart has said he won't have a launched coaster.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Does KK have any buildings they could use for a dark ride?  

You could argue the 4d theater... but other than that I think that's it without losing a store or food location. A dark ride like what holiday world has could be great there to. I was actually kind of impressed with their kiddie kingdom when I went last year. That's the kind of thing that will really boost season passes. Especially in that type of a market. 

• Like 1