Kentucky Kingdom

18 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

But you are comparing a MSA to a city. (Mason Ohio to a large section of Kentucky. Etown is a fur piece from KK.). Also, a huge market for KK is Nashville which has a very high median income. Finally, KI draws daily tickets and season passes way beyond Mason and even Cincinnati. I have a platinum pass to the CF parks and a season pass to KK and I live much closer to KK, but I visit KI much more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Correct, I'm not familar enough with Louisville to really compare it. But I'd be willing to bet the majority chunk of KI dollars (at least the bread and butter) are from families in Mason, West Chester and the other suburbs. I bet many who live in Cincy cannot afford to take the trip to KI frequently, let alone season passes and return trips.

• Like 2

If there's any park that KK is drawing from, its more likely Holiday World than Kings Island.  HW fits KK's mold a bit closer.  Most Louisville residents I talked to down there were pretty split on which of those 2 particular parks they visit more.  KI seemed to be a distant 3rd, and most of those were only once a year type trips for those people.  

• Like 2

Correct, I'm not familar enough with Louisville to really compare it. But I'd be willing to bet the majority chunk of KI dollars (at least the bread and butter) are from families in Mason, West Chester and the other suburbs. I bet many who live in Cincy cannot afford to take the trip to KI frequently, let alone season passes and return trips.
Interesting viewpoint! I would have guessed that the closer to KI you get, the higher the percentage of gold passes you would have, but out of these folks, you would have a lower amount of per visit spending because it's just right there...vs a gold pass holder from Lexington who comes two or three times per season but spends money on souvenirs, blue ice cream, the dollar refills etc. I never looked at it in the context you do. Maybe KK is on to something here. Big season pass sales, but instead of meal plans, make decent park food at decent prices, have reasonably priced merch etc so that even daily visitors spend money each visit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^There's been interesting things that KK has done in Cincinnati as well.  I've noticed billboards near the less fortunate neighborhoods in Cincinnati (mostly on the west side) and NKY.  But those areas are places KI likely doesn't have much of their demographic from, at least on a multi-visit basis.  Add onto that the out of state discount and they make it work.

However, that was when KK initially reopened.  The billboards insanely rare to find on the Ohio side of the river now.  

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 12:10 AM, silver2005 said:

^There's been interesting things that KK has done in Cincinnati as well.  I've noticed billboards near the less fortunate neighborhoods in Cincinnati (mostly on the west side) and NKY.  But those areas are places KI likely doesn't have much of their demographic from, at least on a multi-visit basis.  Add onto that the out of state discount and they make it work.

However, that was when KK initially reopened.  The billboards insanely rare to find on the Ohio side of the river now.  

True. There were loads of billboards on the Norwood Lateral last year.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw an interesting post from someone who works at the Kingdom saying team members get into KI, CP, and several other parks with their kk team member badge.  Does anyone that works at KI know if this was a two way agreement and you all also get into KK with your badge?

KK is definitely hitting the Indy market.  We saw on south 465 a KK ad while heading to 74.  About a mile later was a KI ad, still on 465.  However, on 74 there is another KK ad.  Maybe its just letting folks know, but to go to KK from 74 towards Cincy is a bit of detour.

31 minutes ago, Gannersdaddy said:

KK is definitely hitting the Indy market.  We saw on south 465 a KK ad while heading to 74.  About a mile later was a KI ad, still on 465.  However, on 74 there is another KK ad.  Maybe its just letting folks know, but to go to KK from 74 towards Cincy is a bit of detour.

There are KK and HW adds all over Indy. I have even seen a CP sign, but only one KI. CF needs to step up their adds in Indy.

I have heard HW allows other park employees in with their badge. Call the park to verify, to be sure.

• Like 1

^It wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Most people aren't like us. Most people go only to the park that is closest to them with maybe the occasional trip to a destination-type park. Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom really don't compete with each other, so an agreement like this costs both parks nothing and gives them a nice perk that can help with recruitment. Kings Island dollars are much more threatened by movie theaters, the Cincinnati Reds, and other entertainment options in Cincinnati than they are by Kentucky Kingdom.

When I was at Silver Dollar City an employee there told me that they have an agreement so that they can get into SFStL with their employee badge, so I know that agreements like these do exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoF96" said:

I seriously hope you aren’t being serious, especially with the new RMC having a similar incident less than a month ago without any such remarks being made.

Especially since this ride up until yesterday had a clean record. They’re now saying the person who went to the hospital went so on the request of their parents.

from how the article reads it sounds like that for whatever reason there was no train in the station and that the second train ran through the second holding brake which normally brings the train to a complete stop before it proceeds to the transfer brake area.