Kentucky Kingdom

5 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

What did it hit then?

T3 has a 0 car, only it’s mounted to the rear.  I would think the people in the train that got hit would be more shaken up because they couldn’t see it coming.

7 hours ago, FoF96" said:

from how the article reads it sounds like that for whatever reason there was no train in the station and that the second train ran through the second holding brake which normally brings the train to a complete stop before it proceeds to the transfer brake area.

So there was two trains on the brake run?

There is a brake area on the backside parallel to the amphitheater which brings it to a complete stop.  The train then slowly makes a 90 degree turn into the transfer brake area which is normally where it waits while one is in station.  Then after another 90 degree turn there is the station.  It sounds like train 1 was stationary on the transfer area while train 2 either overshot or was released from the second break run. 

Early in the day today, there were several people in the station at T3 looking at various things. Later in the day, there was no sign of activity at the ride. Near the end of the day, we did see (from a distance) one train cycle empty, but only one.

• Like 1

That’s almost the equivalent of Kings Island Diamondback rollercoaster strands riders! When it was halfway onto the lift and half on the tires.  Then following that up with something like “Young boy fell from Eiffel Tower many years ago at Kings Island”

im just glad they determined it was the result of a computer error and not poor maintenance.  I’m not sure how they would have had any idea about the error unless the computer told them which obviously it didn’t or the ride would have e-stopped itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoF96" said:

That’s almost the equivalent of Kings Island Diamondback rollercoaster strands riders! When it was halfway onto the lift and half on the tires.  Then following that up with something like “Young boy fell from Eiffel Tower many years ago at Kings Island”

im just glad they determined it was the result of a computer error and not poor maintenance.  I’m not sure how they would have had any idea about the error unless the computer told them which obviously it didn’t or the ride would have e-stopped itself.

It wasn’t a computer error, it seems like the whole circuit board was acting up due to the presence of water. There have been numerous systems failures (outside of amusement parks) where water has sept into electronic boards and making them go haywire.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Storm Chaser Review:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride Storm Chaser 21 times in a three hour period. After being slightly disappointed with Steel Vengeance’s lack of insane ejector, I wanted to make an effort to get to Kentucky Kingdom. Interestingly, Storm Chaser opened an hour after the park itself opened. I ran into the plaza, through the queue, and into the station. Despite the one hour delayed opening of Storm Chaser, ops still had to wait for their supervisor to check restraints, back pads, and run two test trains. Sadly the back row was closed due to a poor adhesive job. There was no question... Only one train was going to be in operation throughout the day, however, this seemed to cause no problems. 

I boarded into a middle row for my first ride. I tightened my restraint, allowing a substantial gap between by thighs and the restraint. The op who checked my restraint encouraged this and never tightened my restraint. We slowly pulled out of the station, gaining speed and descending to the right. I immediately noticed the lack of clever tensioning mechanism (I would love for u/noxegon to explain this), providing a slight jolt when the train engages the chain. The ascent was quick and relatively steep, providing amazing views of downtown Louisville and the rolling Indiana hills. The bank left is taken quickly no matter your seat. The first drop is a definite highlight of the ride experience, giving sensations I’ve felt no where else. The “hangtime” acts in such whacky ways. The best way to describe this phenom is “reverse airtime”.  I felt the front provided this sensation the best. The train quickly rises again into the star moment of the ride, a large parabolic airtime hill. This hill provided the craziest sustained ejector airtime I’ve ever felt (stronger than any Vengeance pop). Gaining speed quickly, the train glides through a 140 degree overbank turn, making it the second inversion. The extreme diversification through the first three elements allow for a top tier RMC case to be made. The train rockets up into an off-axis airtime hill, again, providing extreme ejector airtime. It then dips into a small turnaround, this element slams you into your seat allowing for you to experience positive forces. Then again, you get insane ejector twice in a row with a twisted airtime hill and another airtime hill. Both these moments feel like you’re riding a buckin’ bronco. Once you hit your seat your upside down in the best zero-g-roll (corked roll) I’ve experienced. You feel weightless without getting dragged out of your seat. It’s a refreshing element  before all hell breaks loose. This fabled section of track compares to no other. Your thighs grimace and prepare for Lucifer’s lash... The trick track double-up and double down. No words can describe this element. You can hear the anti-rollbacks retract and fall after every pop. The ride concludes with a underrated, low to the ground “FEAR” helix and inward banking turn, which caught me off by surprise. That element felt somewhat similar to Vengeance’s in between the first and second inversion. The unbanked turn into the brakes packs lateral forces into a somewhat perfect coaster. The extreme diversification of forces makes for a seamlessly flawless coaster. It’s short layout packs every force under the sun. I preferred the front of the train, the “hangtime” in the downward barrel roll drop felt exponentially stronger. This coaster is a MUST ride! A 10/10 ride and possibly my favourite coaster (ahead of Vengeance).

AAF69480-A661-4B40-A278-2101771EA14A.jpeg

0C92BCE5-B663-42F0-8188-B65BDD5B74C9.jpeg

A2AE375B-7BDB-4431-A3EE-602642903E32.jpeg

• Like 5

Good review, but I think Steel Vengeance is better. I was not a fan of Storm Chaser last time I rode (in the front seat, IIRC) as the airtime was too violent. Steel Vegeance is crazy, but (imo) the airtime doesn't hurt like Storm Chaser does.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I loved Storm Chaster as well but I thought Lighting Run was more fun even though it left some bruises on my thighs.  

Yea I love Storm Chaser but feel it loses too much momentum at the end. After the last inversion the final hills over the entrance plaza and helix into the brakes are pretty tame and feel slow compared to the first 2/3 or so of the ride. Lightning Run is small but makes a big impact and keeps its pacing until you hit the brakes 

^I feel the same way, though I'll add that I think RMC crammed in elements at the end where it feels like they're trying to do too much in a small amount of space.  The ending is really awkward to me.  

The ride up until the last roll though is incredible.  Love the first 2 drops.  

11 hours ago, purdude86 said:

Yea I love Storm Chaser but feel it loses too much momentum at the end. After the last inversion the final hills over the entrance plaza and helix into the brakes are pretty tame and feel slow compared to the first 2/3 or so of the ride. Lightning Run is small but makes a big impact and keeps its pacing until you hit the brakes 

I am sort of glad for my thighs that it slows down a bit near the end. 

Yea could see that. Didn;'t notice it too much, it's definitely no SoB haha, but still could see being rough. Love the intensity from the drop to the final inversion though. Feel like I get thrown more on Lightning Rod though with even more directional changes. The bunny hills at the end of it bang my knees some but not too bad and worth it for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please don't take Loose Articles on rides, bins are provided on every attraction at KK. The women was hit in the temple by an object and apparently is not doing very well. I'm pretty sure she will be ok though. 

http://www.wave3.com/story/38963674/officials-woman-hit-in-face-by-loose-article-brought-onto-kentucky-kingdom-roller-coaster

On 8/9/2018 at 10:30 AM, jtro223 said:

Is the park sticking up for pass holders, or is it biting the hand that it leases it's home from?  You decide.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38842477/kentucky-kingdom-sues-state-in-expo-center-parking-dispute

I have an annual pass to Kentucky Kingdom and was planning on visiting August 18th, until I noticed it was during the state fair.  Because I would be required to pay for parking, and admission to the fair I changed my mind and went to Kennywood instead.

These kinds of issues should have been decided between the fair and KK when the lease was signed.  At this point the fair is over for the year and as long as that is the only event which is causing issues then the two sides have a long time to work out any differences.

I used to work there, that is not the only time it’s an issue.  Anytime anything is going on at the fairgrounds,  KK employees and guests are forced to move to less desirable lots that are much farther away from the park than necessary.  Some examples Derby,  fair, street rod nationals, gun show, etc.  all of those events get the parking lots immediately surrounding the park and KK guests are forced to park much farther away while KK employees are forced to park on KK private property which is meant for horticulture and maintenance staff and it basically clogs up all of the space behind T3.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...