Kentucky Kingdom

It looks like another solid hit for Kentucky Kingdom.  The brief birdseye animation they did looked like a fun layout for a junior coaster.  I am surprised not more parks have installed some of these junior wooden coasters.  Looks like a solid addition to Kentucky Kingdom.

I wonder where they are placing it in the park.

• Like 1

I considered the possibility the flyer name was just a name.  But never even considered the possibility it was a gravity group wooden.

^^ Max speed is 35 MPH, the length makes sense.  Not sure on layout, but the specs make it sound like Oscars Wacky Taxi.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Timber! from Holland.

Seems like a solid addition to the park, especially for the smaller enthusiasts just starting to ride bigger coasters- heck maybe the adults will have as much fun as the kids.

Criticisms-

• Kinda odd that they themed a wooden coaster to something that flies.
  • This ride is extremely short- I'm not saying Kentucky Kingdom is poor but I felt like they could afford something bigger.
  • Is Gravity Group the B-list GCI nowadays? It seems like all they do anymore are small coasters

Personally I'm kinda bummed that it wasn't a Firehawk relocation, most likely because I want it to stay close so I can still ride it, but this seems like a "neat" addition to the park. 

• Like 1

So, a Gravity Group Jr. woodie? That's actually a GREAT addition, and from the brief view of it from the animation, it looked like a Mini-Raven to me. Probably a much better addition to Kentucky Kingdom than a used Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Especially if Vekoma really has stopped making parts.

I have never ridden one, but I have heard great things about these mini-woodies, and in many polls they do far better than you'd expect from their size.

Yes, the announcement video was a little, lacking.  It seemed like it was a very low budget production.  Keep in mind though, that parks have to pay for the pretty animations and renderings that are created.  Maybe they didn`t want to pay for that service.  It is similar in architecture.  We can produce a pretty picture of a building for the client to use in their marketing purposes, if they want to pay for that service.  Most do not, so we typically don`t (other than very rough design studies in programs like SketchUp).

Yes, the notion I have always heard is that Gravity Group rides are cheaper than CCI rides, but Gravity Group rides require more maintenance/upkeep while GCI rides are more expensive up front, but require less maintenance than a Gravity Group ride.

That being said, I think that the junior coasters that Gravity Group are producing have been very well received by both enthusiasts, and the park.  Wooden Warrior, Roar A Saurus and Oscar`s Wacky Tax all seem to have been great additions to the parks they have been added to.

I rode Wooden Warrior last year, and it's a thrilling ride with plenty of airtime despite its relatively small size. It's no Woodstock Express, even though it has the same height restriction. If Kentucky Flyer's experience is anything similar, we're in for a treat.

• Like 1

Just saw the video a few minutes ago and boy was I fooled! With all the "Kentucky Flyer" name and the teasers, I thought it would be a Sky Roller flat. I then thought, "Wait, they wouldn't do this much teasing for a flat?". The ride looks nice and the layout is like a mini-Mystic Timbers. Wonder where in the park this will go?

• Like 2

I don't know this for a fact, but on a recent visit to the park markings and minimal tree clearing were visible behind the picnic area, adjacent to SkyCatcher. This would lead me to believe based on the rendering that the lift would point south towards the airport with the majority of the layout running parallel to and sitting behind the newer section of the waterpark. Again this is conjecture, but it seems like a plausible spot to me with the sort of out and back layout.

I am really excited about this addition! I didn't really think they would announce a new coaster (was guessing Sky Roller or Air Race), so it is a surprise. I haven't ridden any of the other smaller Gravity Group wooden coasters, but have often read good things. It seems like a nice intermediate step between Roller Skater and Thunder Run. As a business decision it really does make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

I think this will be a great addition to the park, though I am wondering where exactly they're going to put it. Maybe in the back of the park next to their Larson Looper?

According to a post on reddit from someone who stated they were at the announcement, it will be going behind the waterpark.  The station will be next to the picnic shelters and it will hug the current edge of the property heading towards the stadium, although I do not believe it will even get close to the stadium.  Looking at the layout this makes a lot of sense.

Based on what I have heard for pricing on these coasters, I am kinda surprised we do not see a lot more of these being built.  If the numbers are accurate they are an amazing value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spooky21 said:

How it should have been announced.

100% agree. In this day and age, marketing is everything. When Mystic Timbers was announced, I was underwhelmed at first because of the poor quality of the ride animation as opposed to the release videos for Diamondback and Banshee. Its kinda sad when enthusiasts can make a better promo video in a matter of a few short hours as opposed to the final product the park released. 

3 hours ago, Kenban said:

According to a post on reddit from someone who stated they were at the announcement, it will be going behind the waterpark.  The station will be next to the picnic shelters and it will hug the current edge of the property heading towards the stadium, although I do not believe it will even get close to the stadium.  Looking at the layout this makes a lot of sense.

Based on what I have heard for pricing on these coasters, I am kinda surprised we do not see a lot more of these being built.  If the numbers are accurate they are an amazing value.

I would imagine the biggest concern on these rides is capacity.  

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I would imagine the biggest concern on these rides is capacity.  

Agreed. I wonder how many trains this thing will have and even with two, can they dispatch quickly enough before the other train returns?

It's a short, small, quick ride. Looks to be a nice addition. 

• Like 2

I think they need to hire KIC as their marketing team.  KIC members can generate the marketing materials and put out the announcement. We have enough knowledge around here to do an awesome job.

Oh, we will not be releasing info on a new coaster at 9:00PM on a Sunday night! :wacko:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Agreed. I wonder how many trains this thing will have and even with two, can they dispatch quickly enough before the other train returns?

It's a short, small, quick ride. Looks to be a nice addition. 

I figure there will be 2, if the lift hill is slow enough, they might not sit in the brakes too long.

59 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I think they need to hire KIC as their marketing team.  KIC members can generate the marketing materials and put out the announcement. We have enough knowledge around here to do an awesome job.

Oh, we will not be releasing info on a new coaster at 9:00PM on a Sunday night! :wacko:

I'm trying to get a job in the corporate amusement park industry so I'd be happy to apply if they were ever hiring

Let's not forget this is a small park, not part of a corporate chain.  Remember the Storm Chaser teaser?  This is a definite step up from that.  Underpromise and overdeliver.  (Sidenote, to give people an idea of how KMAA would look, KI could have easily done something like this.  Yes, I realize it is "just" a bunch of antique cars, but at least give it some perspective.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, homestar92 said:

I have one and only one problem with this coaster.

"Let's make a fun little wooden coaster for families to enjoy together"
"Great idea!"
"But give it a name that, when Googled, turns up almost exclusively alcoholic cocktails"

Brilliant.

My son is an alcoholic because of this. He's in rehab now. Thanks, Ed Hart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1