Kentucky Kingdom

6e2e5f6d-2f6f-4c93-ba6b-f76cfa44f238-Ken

The park provided this image to local news agencies.  I linked to it from the Courier Journals website.

It gives a good indication of where the park can expand (at least according to the park), and where the ride is planned.  The dispute right now is purely over the area in yellow.  While the red shaded area is the long term expansion space.  Although the left side of this is going to have a very low height limit because it is almost directly in line with a runway.

• Like 4

I wonder if the Fair Board continues to balk at granting the action of Kentucky Kingdom would truly cancel the coaster, or have the Gravity Group attempt to redesign the turn around, shifting it closer to the lazy river.  I know that the Gravity Group would likely have to charge more engineering fees to do that, but that would be better than not having any coaster.  Kind of surprised they haven`t been able to do a soil bearing test yet.  That is fairly important to the design of the ride foundations.

• Like 1

I reached out to the State Fair Board by phone, but was just transferred to the "Communication Department VM."  On Facebook, the response I received via Messenger was this:

"Thank you for reaching to us John! Here is the statement from the Fair board: In our partnership with Kentucky Kingdom we have demonstrated a consistent desire to see their business succeed. There should be no surprises here as our lease with them has mutually agreed upon protocol for an orderly expansion, which is still in process and involves several landlord parties. We seek to be responsible stewards of the Commonwealth’s assets and look forward to working with Kentucky Kingdom as that process continues."

3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It sounds like they put the cart before the horse with their announcement when they were in a legal dispute with their landlord. 

Seems like the whole 2019 addition was a disaster. They had poor marketing, poor concept art, and poor planning. This definable is a defining aspect of their businesses planning that certainly does't bode well for them.

7 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It sounds like they put the cart before the horse with their announcement when they were in a legal dispute with their landlord. 

I can see that perspective, but on the other hand, the lawsuit has nothing to do with the coaster--until now.  Sounds to me like the Fair Board is being petty.  They have made the expansion land available and the park wants to use about 1 of the 20 acres.  This Fair Board has been corrupt for decades and I think that public opinion is on the side of the park, even if they assumed vs. crossing the t and dotting the i.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Seems like the whole 2019 addition was a disaster. They had poor marketing, poor concept art, and poor planning. This definable is a defining aspect of their businesses planning that certainly does't bode well for them.

Yes, I agree. I hope they did not pay much for all that marketing! Like I mentioned before, some of us here would have done a way better job of marketing the ride and we would have done it for free.

7 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

I can see that perspective, but on the other hand, the lawsuit has nothing to do with the coaster--until now.  Sounds to me like the Fair Board is being petty.  They have made the expansion land available and the park wants to use about 1 of the 20 acres.  This Fair Board has been corrupt for decades and I think that public opinion is on the side of the park, even if they assumed vs. crossing the t and dotting the i.

Should not have been, but putting that aside. I own a park and lease my land, I want to expand my park in a new area. Even though legaly I am to have access to the land, I think I would call my landlord to tell them what I am doing (and get their blessing) before announcing to the world what I am doing on that land. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Should not have been, but putting that aside. I own a park and lease my land, I want to expand my park in a new area. Even though legaly I am to have access to the land, I think I would call my landlord to tell them what I am doing (and get their blessing) before announcing to the world what I am doing on that land. 

It sounds like they provided that to the people at the Fair Board, or at least that is how I interpret what Ed said at the press conference.  Granted, I don't know what he means by technicality.

They didn't plan ahead and examine the potential hurdles that could have easily been avoided. This reminds me of when Discovery Kingdom added Vertical Velocity and completely went over the city's heighth regulations. They're trying to get on level with the big boys like KI, HW and other major parks but they're still on a level shared by smaller parks like Lake Compounce and so on. It seems like KK is trying to be an enthusiast park but still had a long way to go.

No, I’ve been told this has everything to do with the parking lawsuit. The Fair Board violated a part of their lease, and wouldn’t fix their behavior once notified. Legally, the fair board doesn’t have a case, and they attempted to get the case dropped by delaying the construction of the park’s new ride. This is the same board that sued SF, claiming rides BOUGHT by Six were theirs because it was on their land. They got laughed at during the case hearing.

Let me reiterate, the board has done everything from bringing other agencies in to halt construction for them trying to settle a score. KK has done nothing wrong.

• Like 2

I'm not sure about the agreement with SIX, but it seems as if I recollect that the negotiations with Mr. Hart et al were pretty specific.  Any improvements to the land (buidlings, rides, etc) are to be paid for by the operator, but the Fair Board retains ownership.  So--Lightning Run, Storm Chaser etc are actually owned by the Fair Board.  This new coaster that the operators of the park are trying to build is being thwarted by the group that will own it.  Brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Frankly, although I’ve never been a fan of KK, this makes me a big fan of Ed Hart.  He is absolutely correct when he says that the State Fair Board is doing nothing but playing childish games.  However Hart just made a master chess move...  he pulled out a 10 incher, plopped it on the table and said “top that.”  I guarantee the Fair Board has no idea what hit ‘em.  I’m loving every minute of this... pass the popcorn.  Bravo Mr Hart!

• Like 13