Kentucky Kingdom

32 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

So if it is a chain there are probably three logical choices:

Cedar Fair: While selfishly it would be great to have another Cedar Fair park two hours from my house, at best it would be Michigan's Adventure where they weren't investing in it much or at worst it would be Geauga Lake.

Six Flags: Obviously SIX left them high and dry last time.  During an ACE event I attended back in 2018 the workers were talking about Six Flags destroying the coaster operating systems which KK had to add new when Ed Hart and company bought it. SIX is not the same group it was at that time but I'd be surprised if they went that route and resold it to SIX.

Herschend: They are probably the most intriguing because they could turn it into a great park and give KI the most competition which would be good for the growth of KI as well.

I could see Ed Hart and company cashing out now with so much uncertainty in the world.

Or sell it to Gene Staples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivertown Rider said:

So if it is a chain there are probably three logical choices:

Cedar Fair: While selfishly it would be great to have another Cedar Fair park two hours from my house, at best it would be Michigan's Adventure where they weren't investing in it much or at worst it would be Geauga Lake.

Six Flags: Obviously SIX left them high and dry last time.  During an ACE event I attended back in 2018 the workers were talking about Six Flags destroying the coaster operating systems which KK had to add new when Ed Hart and company bought it. SIX is not the same group it was at that time but I'd be surprised if they went that route and resold it to SIX.

Herschend: They are probably the most intriguing because they could turn it into a great park and give KI the most competition which would be good for the growth of KI as well.

I could see Ed Hart and company cashing out now with so much uncertainty in the world.

As for Herschend, see Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA....  Yikes.  Nowhere close to Dollywood or Silver Dollar City.

• Like 1

It's important to remember, that any sale of the rights to operate the park must be approved by the Fair Board.  I don't know how open they would be to SIX running the park again, even if it is a different SIX now vs then.

Also, per the contract, any investments in physical assets remain the property of the fair board, not the operator.  I don't know that SIX would like that--or any other company, either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It's important to remember, that any sale of the rights to operate the park must be approved by the Fair Board.  I don't know how open they would be to SIX running the park again, even if it is a different SIX now vs then.

Also, per the contract, any investments in physical assets remain the property of the fair board, not the operator.  I don't know that SIX would like that--or any other company, either.

Six did that park no favors. That Superman drop ride incident pretty much killed their reputation in Kentucky.

Bring in Herschend since they operate the Newport Aquarium in the same state as well as three other amusement parks in the south. Maybe the Fair Board would be more willing to work with a company that's reputable and has a solid track record. 

• Like 1

I could see Herschend turning it into an urban Dollywood and having a co-promotion with the Newport Aquarium.  

One thing the park really lacks in is shows.  I like the bird and sea lion shows, but they need some high quality 26 minute shows, too.

Could you imagine Dolly's Urban Christmas(r)?  Tall building light projections on the coasters, hipster environmentally responsible firepits, and some kumbacha sampling stations?

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I could see Herschend turning it into an urban Dollywood and having a co-promotion with the Newport Aquarium.  

One thing the park really lacks in is shows.  I like the bird and sea lion shows, but they need some high quality 26 minute shows, too.

Could you imagine Dolly's Urban Christmas(r)?  Tall building light projections on the coasters, hipster environmentally responsible firepits, and some kumbacha sampling stations?

Herschend will kill the alcohol sales in the park and anything even remotely adult. No more "Get your booze before we snooze" texts from the park. Haunt season would be much tamer. Event prices would be much higher and be of no value. The recent Coaster Crew event at Dollywood was around $90 for a 1 day passholder price. That is insane.

43 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Herschend will kill the alcohol sales in the park and anything even remotely adult. No more "Get your booze before we snooze" texts from the park. Haunt season would be much tamer. Event prices would be much higher and be of no value. The recent Coaster Crew event at Dollywood was around $90 for a 1 day passholder price. That is insane.

Who makes more money--families or enthusiasts?  KK currently caters to enthusiasts, which is a smart strategy to get free publicity via social media channels.  However, the influencers seem to have lost much of their influence with the recent scandals.  Alcohol does bring in a huge profit margin to a park--yes.  But if Herschend did buy the contract (which would probably never happen), they would more than make up the money in family friendly shows and old person attractions.

1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

Sounds like a positive change to me.

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Families tend to make parks more money so it would be a good business decision to tame haunts and limit alcohol sales. Additionally higher prices can be good for a park if they deliver on quality so that families feel like they're getting their money's worth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I hope Ed keeps running the park. We had so much fun at this place. Such a great atmosphere. Ever since Cedar Fair bought the paramount parks they stopped investing in the smaller parks. I feel like Cedar Fair would treat this park just like VF, WOF, MIA and Dorney and stunt this parks growth.

If I'm being honest I feel like CF would eventually GL Kentucky Kingdom. Its our closest competitor and its not near any other CF park to encourage platinum passes. 

On the topic of smaller CF parks, I think they stoped investing in the smaller parks to justify the spending on the Paramount parks. Prior to Covid I thought the smaller parks would get some attention coaster wise but I don't know what financial position the company is currently in. 

Oh there is no "eventually" to it, they would be drawing up plans to relocate at least Lightning Run and Storm Chaser to other CF parks before the ink on the contracts were dry, Hell before they were even SIGNED.  If people want KK to stay like it is or improve, the absolute last company they want in any type of purchase talks is CF.  Sorry, fool me once....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Oh there is no "eventually" to it, they would be drawing up plans to relocate at least Lightning Run and Storm Chaser to other CF parks before the ink on the contracts were dry, Hell before they were even SIGNED.  If people want KK to stay like it is or improve, the absolute last company they want in any type of purchase talks is CF.  Sorry, fool me once....

I normally would agree but Kentucky Kingdom is still 2 hours from King's Island. While they may want that market driving to Mason. Closing up shop would mean losing out on the people who are farther out than 2 hours from King's Island or a Cedar Fair park. People who may not be willing to drive that far. How far away is the Indiana market from a CF park? Closing or pulling rides from Kentucky Kingdom could mean potential customers go to Holiday World or Indiana Beach instead.

4 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Don't forget--LR and SC are the property of the Fair Board and not the operator of the park.  Chang and Roadrunner Express were taken by SIX in exchange for SIX turning over about 20 acres to the Fair board.  

5 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I normally would agree but Kentucky Kingdom is still 2 hours from King's Island. While they may want that market driving to Mason. Closing up shop would mean losing out on the people who are farther out than 2 hours from King's Island or a Cedar Fair park. People who may not be willing to drive that far. How far away is the Indiana market from a CF park? Closing or pulling rides from Kentucky Kingdom could mean potential customers go to Holiday World or Indiana Beach instead.

With exception to CGA and Gilroy Gardens, most of Cedar Fair's parks are 4 hours or more away from one another. KI is still the superior park in the region over HW and KK so CF doesn't necessarily need to buy out the smaller parks. 

Herschend on the other hand has a stronghold on parks and attractions throughout the south and could really help out KK. They could pose as a threat to CF with their heightened quality which would encourage competition between them and KI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Kentucky Kingdom is opening a few weeks later than they did the past few seasons on May 8 

B80D640B-7789-4600-BE93-D34F90E46944.png

May does look really light on operating days considering its even farther south and warmer than Mason. Closing the dry side at 7pm or earlier on every single Mon-Fri seems a bit early too. No operating days later than 8pm even though rides have light packages they never use.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish KI had a winter walk through event like CP and KK do.  It would be a great new charity event for KI to start.  I did get our tickets to the KK event before they sold out (KK event sold out in less than 15 min but not as fast as CP winter chill out which sold out in less than 5 min)

0F8D9A7C-F159-4313-A343-570E284C5EBE.png