Kentucky Kingdom

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

CP and KK consist of two days during the whole winter?

There is more than 2 parks in the whole country and those are not the only 2 doing winter chill out type events either. Who else I do not know. The idea is there wasn't any free days open not already being used by another park. It may be a dumb reason but that was basically the reason given. Not wanting to run a Winter Chill Out type event at the same time as another park is doing one.

I agree with coaster sally... that reason doesn't really make sense. The tickets go pretty quickly, it's not like the demand wouldn't be there, even if Kings Island had it the exact same weekend as Cedar Point.

I'm not denying that someone gave that as the stated reason at some point, but it can't be the actual reason, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, MoreFogPlease said:

I agree with coaster sally... that reason doesn't really make sense. The tickets go pretty quickly, it's not like the demand wouldn't be there, even if Kings Island had it the exact same weekend as Cedar Point.

I'm not denying that someone gave that as the stated reason at some point, but it can't be the actual reason, in my opinion.

I agree and I stated I think its dumb. I think it was one of those mailbag questions Don used to do. May have been asked in 2019.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kenban said:

Simply put that map that map is a map of Herschend properties. The one in New Jersey is Adventure Aquarium. I also see Newport Aquarium, Dollywood, and Silver Dollar City.

There is one more circle I cannot account for though.

It appears the larger circles are their park properties I believe, the smaller the tourist spots (Stone Mountain etc)  The oddity is Alabama Adventures location... if indeed its included.

9 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Didn`t Craig Ross recently leave his roll as president of the Dollywood company to take on a new roll at Herschend Family Entertainment?  I often have wondered why Herschend has not really expanded much...  

So I wonder when something official will be released.

Craig recently became the COO of a new division of Herschend called the Growth and Opportunity Group.  Which was to support the acquisition of theme parks, and other properties.  This happened back in I think November.

• Like 1

So a few thoughts if this is what we think it is (Herschend buying the park):

1. I am a Dollywood passholder but Herschend doesn't do a Platinum-type pass.  Is this something they introduce now with the added benefit of getting into the aquariums as well.

2. Dollywood and SDC have a daily ticket at a cost of $79.  It would be a financial disaster for them to do that at KK.  I realize Wild Adventures cost is similar to KK current cost but it is interesting to think about.

3. Competition can only be a good thing.  I would think CF will be looking to continue to add/improve KI in the next decade.  I believe others have said Face Off, Drop Zone, and SOB were in large part a result of Six buying KK the first time.  Obviously that was a different era but generally competition is good.

1 minute ago, Rivertown Rider said:

1. I am a Dollywood passholder but Herschend doesn't do a Platinum-type pass.  Is this something they introduce now with the added benefit of getting into the aquariums as well.

2. Dollywood and SDC have a daily ticket at a cost of $79.  It would be a financial disaster for them to do that at KK.  I realize Wild Adventures cost is similar to KK current cost but it is interesting to think about.

3. Competition can only be a good thing.  I would think CF will be looking to continue to add/improve KI in the next decade.  I believe others have said Face Off, Drop Zone, and SOB were in large part a result of Six buying KK the first time.  Obviously that was a different era but generally competition is good.

would they keep it to where you can go to another park where you get 1/2 off like the current policy?

11 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

They’re not fools. KK, as it stands now, is a $30 park. If they charge $77 they’re setting themselves up for disaster. They know that. 

This could put a real squeeze on the Lexington/Louisville/Indiana markets for KI.  They’ll have to react, which is typically good for the guests.*

*Note: if their reaction to adversity is more Bring a Friend Cheap Days as it has been in the past then I retract my statement. :D

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

They’re not fools. KK, as it stands now, is a $30 park. If they charge $77 they’re setting themselves up for disaster. They know that. 

This could put a real squeeze on the Lexington/Louisville/Indiana markets for KI.  They’ll have to react, which is typically good for the guests.*

*Note: if their reaction to adversity is more Bring a Friend Cheap Days as it has been in the past then I retract my statement. :D

Hershend simply buying the park likely won’t affect competition much. Hershend needs to invest a decent amount into Kentucky Kingdom in order to trigger a response from Kings Island and Cedar Fair. My only concern with Hershend investing a lot into Kentucky Kingdom is that there is really not much room to put in a major new attraction. Also, they are probably only going to get the operating contract for Kentucky Kingdom and not own it outright, but I may be wrong in that regard.

The Fair Board owns much of the land around the park ( I believe they own the land between the freeway exit and Phillips Ln) as well as the land the businesses on the street by Storm Chaser sit on.  It's been said that as the leases expire, they are not renewing them so as to give more space to KK.  Also, keep in mine, there is lots of underutilized space within the developed park that should be used before expanding outwards.  

An interesting thought to consider:  With the Commonwealth having some income issues related to the pandemic, would it consider selling the land that park sits on to Herschend?  They could continue to make revenue from the park with parking and get cash for the land.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Just curious, has anyone visited Wild Adventures in Georgia? Curious as to what the experience is at that park compared to Silver Dollar City and Dollywood.  

I cannot speak since I have not been there, but I know people who have. 

Three-Headed Dragon 18022021122222.jpg

All joking aside, from what I've been told its not anything like Dollywood and SDC. It opened in '96 so it's about to turn 25 years old- the whole park is basically the same age as Flight of Fear. They started out as a petting zoo and grew. Herschend bought them in 2007. The park kinda like Michigan's Adventure where they installed a lot of their "thrill" rides before they got bought be a larger chain.

They have a ton of carnival-esque rides and outdated coasters with 3 Vekomas and other smaller kiddy style coasters. From what I heard their animals and their water park are the main attractions with the coasters kinda just being there. Not that they're unpopular but they're not at all comparable to what you see at Dollywood or SDC; but again they were acquired in '07. If they do RMC Cheetah that would definitely put them on the map and put them a little more on par with their sister parks in the thrill category. I've said this before but if a park gets a RMC, they're pretty much guaranteed to see a boost in attendance.

Coming from someone who hasn't been there, the closest comparison I can make is Silverwood and Michigan's Adventure got married and had liked animals; and I'm saying that in the most polite way possible. The park looks cool, and I'd definitely visit; especially if it gets am RMC.

2020-0182 COVID park map INT 17x11875.jpg

If this park is any indication as to what a Herschend owned KK would look like, I think they're in good hands.

9 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Hershend simply buying the park likely won’t affect competition much. Hershend needs to invest a decent amount into Kentucky Kingdom in order to trigger a response from Kings Island and Cedar Fair. My only concern with Hershend investing a lot into Kentucky Kingdom is that there is really not much room to put in a major new attraction. Also, they are probably only going to get the operating contract for Kentucky Kingdom and not own it outright, but I may be wrong in that regard.

I don’t think them buying the park will have an immediate effect. But assuming they make reasonable investments, especially in marketing costs, they could put a dent in the market in a couple of years. It’s going to take a lot of work, a lot of the right decisions being made, and a lot of money. I don’t know much about Wild Adventures, but I’ve been to Dollywood. And I know a lot of people who love SDC. We know how their parts operate. This is going against a company that shoots for a C+ experience (their internal words, not mine) and tries to compete by price and breaks even at best.  They have the moxie to make this successful. I love KK. I really do, but any fool could tell that the way things have been since reopening they were on borrowed time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

^^Borrowed time?  Ed Hart has said several times at events that KK is a gold mine.  It takes time to build a business and it is nothing short of remarkable what they have accomplished in 5 years.  They advertise heavily in the local market, reach out to Nashville and Indy to meet their contractual agreements and use social media more effectively than many other parks.  I would say the pandemic hit them hard, though.  Seeking out a solid operator is a wise decision, if this is indeed happening.

• Like 3