Kentucky Kingdom

@Shaggy I realized later as I was dozing off (yes Ive got one of those binary minds that just doesnt shut off so I think of things at odd times) that I left that statement more broad than I meant to, I do apologize for mis-speaking in that manner.  I own my screwups, unlike fanbois/girls, and thank you for calling me on it.  I also admit that, while I was nearly sure it was Herschend, I did have a wild off the wall thought of another player possibly in it in the shadows who does have that $100+ price point on passes, but when I read the group operates 9 parks I realized that thought was invalid because the one in my mind only operates one park.

• Like 1

https://www.hfecorp.com/whats-new/

The deal is done and has been formally announced by Herschend.  Craig Ross the former GM of Dollywood is taking over as interim GM of Kentucky Kingdom.

Personally I am expecting more shows, live entertainment, festivals, and likely a new indoor theater.  They are already talking about extending the season so a fall harvest festival and maybe even a Christmas event seem likely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WickedDragster said:

I hope Winter Walkthru and Keys to the Kingdom stick around! 

Speaking of Keys to the Kingdom, I thought it was interesting that Herschend owns the the tv and film rights to "The Keys to the Kingdom" books.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/herschend-entertainment-studios-the-keys-to-the-kingdom-garth-nix-books-acquisition-1202623675/

Herschend Entertainment Studios, the media arm of Herschend Enterprises, has secured film and TV rights to The Keys to the Kingdom, the New York Times bestselling seven-book series by author Garth Nix.

The fantasy story follows the adventures of 12-year-old Arthur Penhaligon, the reluctant hero and Rightful Heir to the House, which is revealed to be the center of the universe. For the last 10,000 years, seven Trustees, unknown to and unseen by mortal humans, have collectively ruled over the universe. Arthur must defeat and dethrone the treasonous trustees, each of whom holds a different magical key and presides over a specific day of the week. As Rightful Heir, the series sees Arthur undertake many adventures to save his family, home, the universe and hopefully fulfill his destiny.

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

For clarity - my "not yet" was in regards to the post saying it was official.  I posted that because, as I understand, the Herschend deal has stalled several times.  So until it was formally announced to the media, and by the state, it wasn't official.

:-)

As far as admission rates, I would suspect they will increase naturally over time as investments and offerings increase.  Right now, they have to remain sensitive to the market and not rock any boats.

Do you think this will truly influence more offerings on any sort of scale? My fear is that being a small market with a weird ownership situation may make it more of their Michigan’s Adventure, as in they’re content making little money but also investing very little. I’m just speculating, but I’d love to hear your opinion. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

During The Winter Walk-theough today it was mentioned that the RMC Raptor destined for the park this season actually went to Silverwood (branded by Silverwood as Stunt Pilot).  Last March Ed Hart was ready to cut the check for the Raptor, but COVID hit and he backed out of the deal at the last minute allowing Silverwood to pick up the coaster plans.  This coaster could have fit nicely in KK since the maximum height would have been somewhere between 105-115 feet which would have fit several places in the park given the various air vector height restrictions of the airport across the street.  (Rumor location was next to Eye of the Storm.)
Most of the changes coming to KK this year are increasing the quality of food - many stands are being renamed and menus being retooled to represent a lot of the Dollywood favorites (yes a bakery is coming with Dollywood’s cinnamon bread, a stand with Nashville hot chicken, and sweet tea will be coming in the park).  Alcohol will also be staying in the park with expanded Kentucky bourbon flight tastings and food menu in the renamed beer garden.  A incredible promotion will be running this year, Summer Fun Partners, offering two days with free drinks for $29.95 - seems like Herschend wants to really drive up attendance getting many first time visitors, especially those from out of state, to visit the park.  (Last season the exact same deal for out of state visitors was $39.95). Another talking point was there definitely was not going to be a pumpkin lights/Halloween event this season, but did strongly hint at a Christmas event could actually occur this Christmas (noted a few buildings and restrooms had heat on the walk through for colder temperatures, and since Christmas decoration orders with China are typically placed in early spring, maybe a Christmas time event could actually happen in the park, just will have to wait and see).

• Like 7

I really wish season passes were handled better last year. If you bought your pass before a certain date in June it is good for 2021 and if you bought it after a certain date in Aug its good for 2021. I bought mine in between and only got to use it once last year. I planned on using it at least 3 times and one of which was going to be for Haunt. Another thing the park and Ed Hart did not handle well at all. One of the reasons why I bought my pass in the summer was due to the fact they brought back their Halloscream for 2019. I feel like since they did not have a Halloween event or stay open past the end of Sept in 2020 and did not tell anybody so until late in Aug then its just another reason why all passes should have been extended to 2021.

Any word on Keys to the Kingdom?

Keys to the Kingdom 2 will be Sunday June 6 - $5 off advance tickets were offered to people who attended the winter walk through today.  Many new surprises will be in the event this year (but no hints were given except six locked padlocks in the presentation).  It’s going to be a busy June weekend this year with CP Coastermania on Friday June 4 and Keys to the Kingdom 2 on Sunday June 6. Now just have to wait to see if KI will have Coasterstock this year.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

Keys to the Kingdom 2 will be Sunday June 6 - $5 off advance tickets were offered to people who attended the winter walk through today.  Many new surprises will be in the event this year (but no hints were given except six locked padlocks in the presentation).  It’s going to be a busy June weekend this year with CP Coastermania on Friday June 4 and Keys to the Kingdom 2 on Sunday June 6. Now just have to wait to see if KI will have Coasterstock this year.

Don't forget Holiwood nights June 4 and 5. I already have my Holiwood Nights ticket and I will be buying a ticket to Keys to the Kingdom too. Now if only Indiana Beach gets their relocated coaster open in time I will make it a 4 day weekend.

23 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Hannah-Barbera returns to the Tri-State area with Yogi Bear!

And by Tri State, I'm being a little generous, it's Kentuckiana.  Specifically, Kentucky Kingdom.  Yogi will be in the 5D cinema this year.  Ironic.

Awww not that one with The Rock about bees or something? 

17 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Awww not that one with The Rock about bees or something? 

I'm not sure.  Here is the description from the KK Season Passholder group on Facebook, from the park's social media coordinator:

*NEW for 2021* Yogi Bear – The Wild Ride

Everyone’s favorite bear brings his meal-mooching ways to this zany new, 5D Ride adventure as he plots to swipe as many pic-a-nic baskets as he can from unsuspecting visitors of Jellystone Park.

7 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm not sure.  Here is the description from the KK Season Passholder group on Facebook, from the park's social media coordinator:

*NEW for 2021* Yogi Bear – The Wild Ride

Everyone’s favorite bear brings his meal-mooching ways to this zany new, 5D Ride adventure as he plots to swipe as many pic-a-nic baskets as he can from unsuspecting visitors of Jellystone Park.

I was joking. I love The Rock as much as anyone else, but that video was one of the worst. They should have let him drop the Peoples’ Elbow or something. 

• 8 months later...

So....long time, no news on this thread.

I went to KK a few time this summer.  Beside cinnamon bread, not much at all changed on the public front.  

Evidently, some long term employees who had been through the current KK, the SFKK and the previous KK were let go under presure from some of millenial management and are quite bitter about it. (This is a rumor, it is a fact they are no longer there, but the source I got it from just relayed what he heard from some industry people who are not known).  

The FB season passholder group was very quiet but now is crickets.  As is the park.  It is my understanding that, after running the park for a season and testing the water, 2022 will begin a transformation of the park into a more HFE brand.  I do wish the park would be more transparent rather than waiting for some kind of grand reveal.  I am curious what the season pass program will look like.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Is Ed anywhere to be found at this point?

Supposedly he still maintains a minority share of ownership of the contract.  I did see him at a distance on one of my visits.

If this against TOS (I have no source from the park directly, just trusted friends who know people), I apologize and mods, please edit:  Some of the younger members of the Hart management team did not like the old timers and kind of turned HFE against them.  That's why they are no longer there.  Also, most of the full time staff was let go after the 2020 season because the pandemic decimated the park/pocketbook of the partners.  So that makes a less that stellar change in 2021 more palatable to me.  Having the freedom of no chain behind it is often a good thing until is comes to finances!  If they are truly going to rework the park, they have a massive chore ahead of them and I hope it all turns out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally...information about season passes.  An email was sent to passholders today.  New for 2022-free Pre-k Pass.  Silver Pass-free parking.  $1 soft drinks.  10% discount. Gold pass--all silver benefits plus free drinks if you bring your bottle, 20% discount. bring a friend free tickets and exclusive gold perks (TBD).

Still no platinum pass, though.  :(

Not open for general purchase yet.  Pass is virtual, if you want a physical pass, you have to pay an extra fee, which is not mentioned.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

Finally...information about season passes.  An email was sent to passholders today.  New for 2022-free Pre-k Pass.  Silver Pass-free parking.  $1 soft drinks.  10% discount. Gold pass--all silver benefits plus free drinks if you bring your bottle, 20% discount. bring a friend free tickets and exclusive gold perks (TBD).

Still no platinum pass, though.  :(

Not open for general purchase yet.  Pass is virtual, if you want a physical pass, you have to pay an extra fee, which is not mentioned.

Virtual, as in, through their app?

By the way, as a Dolly pass holder, I would pay a pretty good amount of money to be able to go to KY Kingdom too. 

12 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Virtual, as in, through their app?

By the way, as a Dolly pass holder, I would pay a pretty good amount of money to be able to go to KY Kingdom too. 

As of now, KK does not have an app.  

The season pass is stored on Apple wallet--a friend got/renewed at the gold level and she has a QR code but it only works on Apple.

• 1 month later...

With Herschend announcing that the paid college tuition benefit will also apply to Kentucky Kingdom full time, part time, and seasonal employees, this will be a big benefit that could be valued in the thousands.  (Was announced earlier today for Dollywood with the paid college tuition benefit by Dolly herself).  This makes the KK overall benefit package likely more attractive than what Cedar Fair parks can offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

During KK Winter Walk through last Saturday, it was mentioned that Herschend is now sole owner of KK as of January 1st 2022 (guess Ed Hart finally gave in and sold his last 20% stake in the park).  The Keys to the Kingdom coaster event will be later than normal this year on Saturday July 16.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

During KK Winter Walk through last Saturday, it was mentioned that Herschend is now sole owner of KK as of January 1st 2022 (guess Ed Hart finally gave in and sold his last 20% stake in the park).  The Keys to the Kingdom coaster event will be later than normal this year on Saturday July 16.  

What’s weird is that Hart’s stake in the company was stipulation of the deal that Herschend wanted. I speculate that they quickly wanted him out of the way for one reason or another.