Kentucky Kingdom

I need to get back to KK - I haven't been down there since 2019. The coaster event in July is tempting but that's the day after I'm planning to get back from my Dollywood trip so that's pretty much out of the question. May try to make it back down there later in the year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, Oldiesmann said:

I need to get back to KK - I haven't been down there since 2019. The coaster event in July is tempting but that's the day after I'm planning to get back from my Dollywood trip so that's pretty much out of the question. May try to make it back down there later in the year.

last time i was down there was when it used to be owned by six flags. it was an 80% terrible time. hopefully it has improved.

• 2 months later...

The Kentucky State Fair Board is proposing redeveloping part of the Fairgrounds property with a youth sports complex, hotels, and restaurants.  Several other improvements that benefit Kentucky Kingdom can be seen in the draft site plan.  The road that currently cuts through the park would be redirected around the park, new VIP parking lot, redesigned access and drop off area by the park entrance, and a new parking lot and RV area.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wdrb.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/7a/67a0e7ea-dc64-11ec-8a64-0f8c94d3b97c/628e8966b17a9.pdf.pdf

spacer.png

https://www.wdrb.com/news/business/millions-from-state-could-revamp-kentucky-expo-center-with-sports-complex-hotels/article_d682bd54-dc60-11ec-b60e-633df27ae2b8.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Kentucky State Fair Board is debating how to use millions of dollars it has been allocated from the state's budget.

A total of $200 million was allocated form the budget to the Kentucky Exposition Center. In July, $20 million will be available for maintenance, but the board is working on a proposal for a project worth the remaining $180 million.

The initial plans include a massive sports complex on the property, new hotels and restaurants, a facelift for Freedom Hall and reconstruction of the West Wing.

"We have the opportunity here at KEC that we can be the economic driver that the state needs to build the future," Dr. Mark Lynn, the fair board chairman, said as the board discussed the plan Wednesday.

The new design features 16 total fields in a proposed sportsplex on the property. That complex would include one main field, nine smaller fields and six youth fields. The plan would require KEC to acquire Jefferson County Public Schools' C.B. Young Building and the surrounding property.

The state funding would also be instrumental in providing a facelift for Freedom Hall. Cosmetic changes to the exterior of the building — especially the backside facing Interstate 65 — are needed, according to comments Wednesday from several board members. 

Reconstruction of the oldest wing at KEC, the West Wing, would be included in the project, as well.

The funding from the state comes with a requirement of a 50% match gift, which the board believes should come easily.

Lynn said the project could have an economic impact between $30-40 million.

"It's an opportunity to update, upgrade, be more competitive and then add to so we can continue to be and drive forward in being a destination place for the entire state," he said.

The board has until December to submit a Request For Proposal to the state.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Something interesting to note is that Kentucky Kingdom changed their profile picture on facebook yesterday. It now says "Kentucky Kingdom Theme & Water Park" instead of the normal "Kentucky Kingdom & Hurricane Bay".

old news 

• Confused 3

• 3 weeks later...

KI better watch their back with all the budget cuts. If there’s one thing Herschend does pretty much better than anyone, it’s Christmas in their parks. Suddenly the white astroturf sledding hill doesn’t looks so great does it? LOL! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

KI better watch their back with all the budget cuts. If there’s one thing Herschend does pretty much better than anyone, it’s Christmas in their parks. Suddenly the white astroturf sledding hill doesn’t looks so great does it? LOL! 

Very few people in Cincinnati will forego Winterfest to go to this.

The people of Louisville? Maybe.

And that'll hurt. A lot.

• Like 4

Doubt it.

For posterity - I believe only the front half of the park will be utilized for the event.  At least the first season.

It will be a nice event that will draw locals.  Louisville needs something like this.  But does their pumpkin event hurt KI?  Not really.

• Like 3

I may have to wander down that way to check this out, though given my typical 6-day work week that time of year it'll probably be January before I make it down there. This will give Louisville at least 2 major holiday events (the other being Lights Under Louisville). It'll be interesting to see what kind of a draw this ends up having.

Louisville local here! :) I’m excited for this but I hope it’s better than Pumpkins at the Kingdom in the fall. While the lights were great, they were only on the entrance’s side of the park. Thunder Run was closed for the season with its entire entrance blocked off and Lightning Run wasn’t operating that night either. Got a ride on Storm Chaser, which I’m obviously a big fan of lol lol but they were only running one train on a Saturday night when it was fairly busy. I wasn’t really impressed with the park operations relative to the summer.

The park operations performance during peak season ranges from average to slightly below average. But the fall event really reminded me of the bumpy times at KK when the park first reopened with Lightning Run, which just so happened to also be the year I worked at the park as my first job in high school hahaha Lightning Run was a great comeback but pretty much everything else was pure chase lol

I’m noticing very gradual and encouraging signs of improvement in the the park’s performance in ride operations, guest services, etc. since Herschend took over, albeit much slower than I expected and wanted to see. For example, T3 is still standing and 100% intact, from what I could tell when I last drove by about a week ago or so. I was hoping to see faster movement to usher in its replacement. Hopefully they rip it down soon and get working on something new, even if it is just a water park expansion. 

Anyway, I’m excited to see how this event goes and I’m rooting for their success! Hopefully they beef up the fall event and really knock the new Christmas event out of the park, pun intended hehe Although KK has had a rocky history and still has some issues to sort through, I think Herschend is showing a willingness to invest in the park long term. I wanna see my hometown underdog succeed haha My home park at heart is always Kings Island though, that short little drive to Cincinnati is the BEST. No matter what KK does, I assure you locals here will continue to drive up to KI for as long as it’s open, given KK’s long list of limitations. I mean heck Holiday World is an even shorter drive than KI from Louisville and a far superior park to KK with plenty of room to expand. 

Long time lurker here and just got the itch to weigh in on this one. Might try to do so more. I’m so excited for the spring and summer! I’ve got my HW, KK, and KI season passes ready to go. I’m visiting a friend at the beginning of April, who is in graduate school at UNC. We’re gonna hit up KD and Carowinds with my all park passport, then do a day at BGW as well. It will be my first time at BGW and I’m stoked! Little bummed Loch Ness won’t reopen till May but they have plenty more to offer that I’m excited about! This summer I think I’m gonna do a week long trip starting with Cedar Point then driving east to hit up all the Pennsylvania parks for the first time. So many great rides with rich history out there. Hoping to make this a great summer full of new experiences! 

• Like 3

It is interesting that the KK event runs through January 4 giving the school kids and families extra time to enjoy their vacation time while KI Winterfest ends on Dec 31.  Wonder if more days will equal more profits for the park?  Will be interesting to see how this event competes with the Louisville Down Undef Lights which is very popular.

51 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

It is interesting that the KK event runs through January 4 giving the school kids and families extra time to enjoy their vacation time while KI Winterfest ends on Dec 31.  Wonder if more days will equal more profits for the park?  Will be interesting to see how this event competes with the Louisville Down Undef Lights which is very popular.

Just guessing, but I'd say that is to emulate what DW and SDC do with their events. It looks like they are in it to win it, investing 8 million dollars into the event.  

Hopefully this and Down Under feed off of each other and make both stronger. I've never been and I want to go.

This announcement has spurred me to  become a kk passholder again.  And it's much closer to me than KI.  I can see one visit to WinterFest for me this year and a couple of visits to Louisville now. Interesting that HFE is heavily investing into their properties while Cedar Fair is cutting, cutting, cutting.

Reminds me of the Kroger Kost Kutter commercials from the 80s, except the cost isn't being cut, it's the experience.

https://youtu.be/x1HrWQWdfSk?feature=shared

13 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Doubt it.

For posterity - I believe only the front half of the park will be utilized for the event.  At least the first season.

It will be a nice event that will draw locals.  Louisville needs something like this.  But does their pumpkin event hurt KI?  Not really.

I’m thinking that being a non-rides-focused event the distance may work to their advantage. 

My biggest pet peeve about KI WF is that they don’t have operations in the first few weekends of the year. Seeing KK take this on and put up more time for their Christmas event is a very positive nod at their prospects of resilience for the season. I would be very interested to see how KI reacts if at all. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Doubt it.

I know looks are deceiving of renderings, but in the announcement video it showed like the back of the park was to be lit up as well, including the ferris wheel. Again, could just be renderings, but I'd hope they'd transform the whole park...that front section isn't big enough IMO.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I know looks are deceiving of renderings, but in the announcement video it showed like the back of the park was to be lit up as well, including the ferris wheel. Again, could just be renderings, but I'd hope they'd transform the whole park...that front section isn't big enough IMO.

I hope so as well!!! It is way too tiny. That small little circular midway, which is the entire front side of the park, will get very clogged up if people can’t venture over the bridge or crosswalk to spread themselves out more. If the event is a hit and they’re slammed, that could become a legitimate issue. Hopefully, if they don’t do it this year, they open the back section in future seasons. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I could be wrong, but if the renderings are accurate, it seems the tube slides will be placed where the wave pool is.

• Like 2