Kentucky Kingdom

Their operating calendar makes my head hurt.

Closed for private events: April 18th, May 16th and 17th and September 20th, 26th and 27th

KK 11-7: Saturdays and Sundays April 11th through May 10th

"Check Website": May 18th-22nd, 26th and 27th

KK 11-9, HB 11-8: Fridays and Saturdays May 23rd through August 15th (also May 24th, September 5th and September 6th)

KK 11-8, HB 11-7: Sunday through Thursday May 31st through August 11th

KK 11-7, HB 11-6: May 25th and 28th, August 16th, September 7th, 12th, 13th and 19th

Only being open part of the week the 2nd week in August (why Monday and Tuesday but not the next three days?)

School starts Wednesday August 12! That is the reason for the closure.

Where did you find the calender?

Isnt school in session right now? Isnt KI open (weekends) till like November?

Looking at that 2015 map. I foresee many people getting lost trying to find Skycatcher.

"You see all those rides across the bridge? Stay away from them. Go the other direction, staying outside of the water park, past the picnic shelters, then make a u-turn, walk back towards the road you just crossed, and it's at the end of the dead end path."

• Like 4

^ I just looked at the map... Oh my...

Why not put the new rides along the obnoxiously long, drawn-out path that currently leads literally to T3, Raging Rapids, and nothing else?

I mean, Enterprise is physically already there. Moving it would be silly. The other two new flats though... The footprint is not huge on them. You could shove them nearly anywhere, Why wouldn't they? Cyclos is forgivable. I wouldn't say "ideal", but certainly it could be worse.

Skycatcher's placement literally baffles me.

The name "Skycatcher" also seems to bear an alarming resemblance to WindSeeker, but maybe I'm crazy.

I also find it interesting that the Hurricane Bay Beach Club, 5-D Cinema, and several other attractions that were open in 2014 are still listed as being new, while Lightning Run no longer gets such designation...

I Hartly understand anything that's going on with that map...

• Like 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kR6KVRAX9A

This news story stated the park made a commitment of spending $43.5 million in the first 3 years. The park spent $40 million in the first year, and plans on spending $8-10 million in the second year.

Did any of you non local guys see any form of advertisement of Kentucky Kingdom in your area? I did not know the park did not advertise in Indy along with Cincinnati and other major areas.

• Like 4

Why not put the new rides along the obnoxiously long, drawn-out path that currently leads literally to T3, Raging Rapids, and nothing else?

Sometimes the future effects ride placement...

Also, you have two pathways that lead to T2 and Raging Rapids. You have the long pathway that you enter from Thunder Run and you have the pathway where you could just cut through Hurricane Bay

(Video)

This news story stated the park made a commitment of spending $43.5 million in the first 3 years. The park spent 40 million in the first year, and plans on spending $8-10 million in the second year.

Did any of you non local guys see any form of advertisement of Kentucky Kingdom in your area? I did not know the park did not advertise in Indy along with Cincinnati and other major areas.

I don't recall ever seeing any advertisements in Cincy. The farthest from the park that I've seen anything is in Florence, where I saw a Kroger store with a tiny sticker on their door to indicate that they sold Kentucky Kingdom tickets.

I did, however, see a very large Kings Island ad at a Kroger in Louisville. I don't know if Kings Island has always advertised that far south. If not, then they apparently see the Kingdom as a threat. Interpret that as you will. I can think of scenarios that are both good and bad for Kentucky Kingdom in that situation.

That said, Ed Hart did say (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the quote) that fans of amusement parks will visit more than one. And for me personally, I agree whole-heartedly. My business is not mutually exclusive to KI or KK, and I enjoy visiting (and have my 2015 season pass renewed for) both parks. In theory, they don't HAVE to compete. Only time will reveal what happens in that regard.

Sometimes the future effects ride placement...

Also, you have two pathways that lead to T2 and Raging Rapids. You have the long pathway that you enter from Thunder Run and you have the pathway where you could just cut through Hurricane Bay

Very true. And admittedly, there is a large eyesore of a concrete pad between Professor John's Flying Machines and Lightning Run that will be a whole lot less awkward with a ride there (I'm assuming that is where Cyclos will go). Still, Skycatcher's placement seems very... bizarre. The layout is already odd due to the road that divides the park. But I can think of a lot of other places where that would fit great.

I did not know about the other path to T2/T3. I was never at Kentucky Kingdom prior to 2014, so I know nothing of its past life.

• Like 1

[nested quotes removed to save space]

Yes, school is in session right now, hence why KK is open weekends only in September. Put another way, non-holiday weekday operations cease when school resumes, but weekend operations continue (along with Labor Day), because their high school student workers (which are probably a large portion of their workforce) are only available on weekends and Labor Day once school starts back up. Also, attendance would be low on a day when school is in session because the majority of the target market is busy attending school and thus unable to go to the park. KI is the same way: large numbers of workers become unavailable on weekdays after school starts up, and attendance takes a nosedive because much of the target markets are in school.

• Like 2

I did not know about the other path to T2/T3. I was never at Kentucky Kingdom prior to 2014, so I know nothing of its past life.

There used to be another path that went around to the left. The back of the park was a big circle with the water park in the center. Then they removed the go karts, sent Chang to Great Adventure, and the water park expanded out to the left, leaving only the path to the right through Thunder Run to get to T2/T3. That, and cutting through the water park.

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2003/sfkk2003.html

• Like 3

Wow also such a great video. Think about it this way where Lesourdsville was lost averaging 500,000 folks a year, what if's could have been always thought of analyzed, like if they had gotten there third coaster, a better owner, but it fell, Cleveland lost out big time, New Orleans, Myrtle Beach, Louisville and the Commonwealth of Kentucky has to be feeling happy at the moment, but continued success fair board of that great Commonwealth, less negative, more installations each and every year, safe park, great staff, to the Kingdom in Louisville.

• Like 4

Their operating calendar makes my head hurt.

Closed for private events: April 18th, May 16th and 17th and September 20th, 26th and 27th

KK 11-7: Saturdays and Sundays April 11th through May 10th

"Check Website": May 18th-22nd, 26th and 27th

KK 11-9, HB 11-8: Fridays and Saturdays May 23rd through August 15th (also May 24th, September 5th and September 6th)

KK 11-8, HB 11-7: Sunday through Thursday May 31st through August 11th

KK 11-7, HB 11-6: May 25th and 28th, August 16th, September 7th, 12th, 13th and 19th

Only being open part of the week the 2nd week in August (why Monday and Tuesday but not the next three days?)

School starts Wednesday August 12! That is the reason for the closure.

Where did you find the calender?

Going to weekend-only operation once school starts isn't unusual at all. It is unusual to be open on a Monday and Tuesday and then be closed the next three days, though it appears Holiday World did something similar this year (they were open daily through August 13th, which was a Wednesday). However, when your park has a reputation as being a place where bored teens can go during the summer to stay out of trouble, the fact that you're open the last two days before school starts really doesn't help your image. Knowing how things seem to be operating right now though, someone likely sees that as a way to boost attendance figures.

• Like 3

I hope no one expected Kentucky Kingdom to be a 7th Heaven in its first season back. There was bound to be some Growing Pains. The park just needs to improve Step by Step. It doesn't always matter if there's a Full House, but the park can't forget Family Matters, and families spend.

• Like 8

It all depends on whether Ed Hart is The Guiding Light to get the place out of its Dark Shadows, or if this is just another episode of Peyton Place without Green Acres. Assuming of course that there is no Secret Storm. The park has certainly had more perils than Pauline. Hart, of course, is hoping for a Bonanza.

News at 11.

• Like 6