Kentucky Kingdom

So to me something like this seems pretty cut and dry. Either the inner tubes were correct or they weren't. If they were not the recommended type (size, shape, inflation, etc) and someone got hurt......

Actually besides single and doubles are there different types? I have only seen the big inflatable doughnut type.... Unless that come in different sizes

I think slide tubes are made of a thicker construction/different internal design than tubes for the lazy river so the park decides which colors it wishes to use to signify the type of attraction the tube is made for.

...and if they were not the right ones, how the heck did they get there and why were they allowed to get there?

Some guests aren't the brightest.... I can't count the number of times that I have been waiting in line for Zoom Flume at Soak City and a guest gets in line carrying a Splash River tube... lots of lifeguard whistling ensues...

Some of the slide complexes at KK have multiple types of tubes at the bottom, and different ones are required for different individual slides at that complex. For example, one slide might require yellow single or double tubes, while the one beside it might require green single tubes only.

I believe Soak City has a similar setup. I think the red tubes are only for Thunder Falls while both blue tubes along with the yellow ones are for Splash River.

• Like 2

So in other words there are only two slides on that complex that have a tube restriction on then and it's the orange/yellow slides other slides at Wakiwaki wai accept double tubes so does Mega Wedgie. Tornado and Summit Plummit or Plunmit Summit (I can never remember which one is KK and which one is WDW) has a specialized tube that go up conveyor.

• Like 1

So to me something like this seems pretty cut and dry. Either the inner tubes were correct or they weren't. If they were not the recommended type (size, shape, inflation, etc) and someone got hurt......

Actually besides single and doubles are there different types? I have only seen the big inflatable doughnut type.... Unless that come in different sizes

I think slide tubes are made of a thicker construction/different internal design than tubes for the lazy river so the park decides which colors it wishes to use to signify the type of attraction the tube is made for.

...and if they were not the right ones, how the heck did they get there and why were they allowed to get there?

Some guests aren't the brightest.... I can't count the number of times that I have been waiting in line for Zoom Flume at Soak City and a guest gets in line carrying a Splash River tube... lots of lifeguard whistling ensues...

Some of the slide complexes at KK have multiple types of tubes at the bottom, and different ones are required for different individual slides at that complex. For example, one slide might require yellow single or double tubes, while the one beside it might require green single tubes only.

I believe Soak City has a similar setup. I think the red tubes are only for Thunder Falls while both blue tubes along with the yellow ones are for Splash River.

Yes, at Thunder Falls there are tubes lined up under the sign that signifies to place tubes here or to pick up tubes at that location. The same for Splash River, at one point there are tubes lined up next to the River to allow guests to grab a tube and ease into the River. The River has many various colors (Blue, yellow, purple) and sizes (single regular, single large, single small, and double) to choose from while Thunder Falls has a standard tube size, similar to the single regular size, that is red. It should also be noted that Zoom Flume already has family rafts for guests to use, and should only use those said tubes and follow all neccessary procedures the signage and the LifeGuard's ,at the top, and bottom of the attraction, instructions, as per all attractions at Soak City.

What could have happened was that a guest came up onto the slide and was permitted to go down due to that there are 2 lifeguards(at least on my visit) at the top of the 3 slide PROSlide complex. This would permit one to go down with the wrong tube and could find oneself to get hurt. I E the green slide has sharp turns that could easily make a guest fly off, or on the bowl and get flipped over.

• Like 1

So answer me this:

Carowinds put in two new slides, the start at the same platform and end at the same pool. Each has a different color tube required, but other than color they appear rhe same. Is is possible that inflation levels between the two tubes are different and specified for each slide?

• Like 2

I know how you meant it, but... Come on. Many guests, may not know the big difference between a Slide A's intertube vs Lazy River's intertube. If I recall correctly, Surf Cincinnati's and the Beach's rental tubes were good on every thing from wave pool, to river, to slides, etc. So the blame cannot be put onto any guest when there are employees sitting near by who have the explicit job to.... not let the wrong tube to be used...

• Like 3

I know how you meant it, but... Come on. Many guests, may not know the big difference between a Slide A's intertube vs Lazy River's intertube. If I recall correctly, Surf Cincinnati's and the Beach's rental tubes were good on every thing from wave pool, to river, to slides, etc. So the blame cannot be put onto any guest when there are employees sitting near by who have the explicit job to.... not let the wrong tube to be used...

Yes but at some point the guest has to look around and see that no one else in line has a tube. I completely understand guests not realizing a color difference between tubes but Zoom Flume is in large 4 person rafts that are brought up to the slide platform by a lift. Guests don't bring up their own tube.

An accident that could have been reasonably prevented but wasn't is typically the result of failure to exercise due care, i.e., negligence.

Simply put, the park has a duty to exercise reasonable care to protect guests' safety.

Whether it did so is the issue here, assuming the guests can prove injuries and that the injuries were caused by the park's actions and/or failures to act.

It us important to remember claims made in a lawsuit tell only one side of a story.

• Like 4

That's what I was thinking too shark! Nobody knows what she is going through today but her and her family. She may have not went to the hospital like the lady said on Facebook the same day it happened, but it doesn't mean that is lying about everything she is going through. People are so eager to jump on the bandwagon when they don't know the whole story!! Out of over a 100 comment's, nobody said anything about maybe she is right, or felt bad for her. I sure hope she gets the help she needs, if she does indeed need help.

• Like 3

I'm finding similarities between this case and the one that closed SoB in 2009. These injuries are not to be taken lightly. Some believe that lawsuits are easy ways for scammers to make money, which causes such comments like those on the Facebook post and the ones that haunted this forum for years.

I hope the two injured and their families are doing well.

• Like 1

I'm finding similarities between this case and the one that closed SoB in 2009. These injuries are not to be taken lightly. Some believe that lawsuits are easy ways for scammers to make money, which causes such comments like those on the Facebook post and the ones that haunted this forum for years.

I hope the two injured and their families are doing well.

These cases are different in my opinion.

• Like 1

Son of Beast was an inherently flawed ride. In this case, the riders went on a slide that, under recommended conditions, is perfectly safe. But, for some reason, they were allegedly allowed on the slide with the wrong tube. If this is, in fact, true, then it would imply negligence or improper training on the part of the ride attendant. Could the cases lead to a similar end result? Sure, I suppose so. But they are most certainly different from one another.

• Like 5

I have a favor to ask.

I'm trying to put together a synopsis of why KK will probably fail, but going through this thread to find what I want is a bit overwhelming. Particularly, I'm looking for sources about the loan and using the Commonwealth owned land as collateral, any evidence of the bad practices that will hinder the Hartland after this year, and anything else relevant. There's a lot I'm having a hard time trying to connect the dots with things. I keep hearing arguments this year being billed as a success as well as not by some (here and elsewhere), and while there's some merit to that (600K is higher than I thought they'd pull to say the least, even though they projected 1.1 million). I do trust what I'm reading here, but I need the actual source of information for some, I'm having a hard time finding it on the interwebs.

• Like 1

Honestly you will probably find the most links and such from this forum. Some of which will no longer lead to pertinent information. Happy sifting.

Just to show that KIC has been fairly unbiased and accurate over the years of park discussions, do a brief search for some recent highly touted cant fail parks. Hard Rock Park and Wheeling's Wild Escape just to name a few. Not saying this site is the end all be all, but the forums are typically a great jumping off spot.

Edited by RailRider
  • Like 5

I'll try to condense what I want to ask then.

What things have they done this year that translates to the challenges they face from year 2 and onward? I understand the political stuff that's been discussed, but if we are to give them the benefit of the doubt in that particular aspect, what else is involved? I keep hearing people go on about how this year was supposedly a 'success', but is it really?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I buy into the concept the park is a sure fire fail. Next, Mr. Hart, who in fairness was the ONLY bidder for the lease (and even his bid was technically not responsive), will go to the Fair Board and ask for more concessions. Note that the Governor just recently added four ADDITIONAL members to the Fair Board ( with two being ex officio). Steve Beshear is brilliant. Everything he does is for a reason.

Meanwhile, an energized and ownership-resolved Holiday World will respond in the marketplace.

It's going to be an interesting ride.

By the way, saying to, in effect, put politics aside, when it comes to Kentucky Kingdom is wholly unrealistic. Everything about the Kingdom's past is highly political, and its midterm future, if it has one, hinges on the November 2015 state elections in Kentucky. Everything.

Kentucky Kingdom can last decades, if the Kentucky taxpayers subsidize it ad infininitum. Without that support, it has, at best, a very, very tough row to hoe.

• Like 4

Honestly you will probably find the most links and such from this forum. Some of which will no longer lead to pertinent information. Happy sifting.

Just to show that KIC has been fairly unbiased and accurate over the years of park discussions, do a brief search for some recent highly touted cant fail parks. Hard Rock Park and Wheeling's Wild Escape just to name a few. Not saying this site is the end all be all, but the forums are typically a great jumping off spot.

I wouldn't exactly call KIC unbiased as everything has bias. Look at our TRs for example, I can find little to no trips by our KICers who go to the waterpark, Soak City at Kings Island. Look at our usernames, everyone likes certain things for a reason, of which changes our outlook on life. Now, it is the issue of finding little biased sources like FOX News with the Ebola case. But hey, I like KIC, it is basically the only "Buzzing" enthusiast community about Kings Island, plus there are some interesting posts here.

I would start with some news reports, and leave the forums to last. As forums, again, are biased places where people voice their opinions more than less, not just the facts.

• Like 1