Kentucky Kingdom

Here what you have to understand about Kentuckians, they are proud to be Kentuckian. They do not care what others think about them, they are glad to be a Kentuckian. So the name Kentucky Kingdom is perfect for reaching Kentuckians. People from Ohio were not Kentucky Kingdom target audience.

Heck most prefer cats over dogs and claim to bleed blue.

My point exactly. The idea is that some people cling to their state identity even more than their national identity, and in fact may perpetuate stereotypes in support of their state. Some (or even many) Kentuckians, from those whom I have experienced, are, as you said, proud to be from Kentucky, and proud to be (pardon the phrase) "white trash," with "trash 'staches" and "wife beaters" and tattoos done by friends while intoxicated. That's the image I've always had, and those who I've seen at Kings Island seem only to further it. (And the fact that I know they're from Kentucky means that they speak about it in everyday conversation, loud enough for me to overhear - again, that's that state-pride).

And I think you're sorely mistaken in their marketing. While their name did very much limit their audience to Kentucky folk (in my opinion), I believe every amusement park targets as many people and metropolitan areas as it can. Especially under Six Flags, I doubt that their goal was to market to "Kentucky." Rather, I think that it was (or under better leadership, should've been) marketed to Indiana and Ohio in large quantities. Most of Indiana could reach the park in shorter time than most of Kentucky.

Again, say what you will, but the fact is that they lost at least one paying customer because of the stereotypes associated with the state that they were named after (and as evidenced here, some are proud to further those stereotypes). The (EDIT:) MY stereotypical Kentuckian is aggressive, unafraid to confront someone, die-hard republican, anti-equality, and probably very much in support of the Confederacy despite never having joined it. That, to me, does not create an audience with which I'd like to share an amusement park.

Is it? Perhaps. But I didn't invent it out of thin air.

The stereotypical Ohioan lives on a farm, and I realize how inaccurate that is. Citizenship in each state comes along with an unintentional stereotype. My point from the beginning was that whether or not there's any truth to them at all is irrelevent. Intention means nothing. The fact that they exist - true or not - makes their consequences real. In the same sense, the idea that Ohio is full of farms doubtlessly is a hinderance to tourism here. Though we may know in actually that there are many suburban and urban areas in the state, the fact that the farming stereotype exists - even if untrue - may be a hurdle for Ohio tourism.

And if I'm the only one with that particular stereotype about Kentucky, then that's fair enough. But for me, the consequence of that stereotype's existence was that I never visited Kentucky Kingdom. It was of no interest to me, unfortunately. Perhaps I missed out.

The stereotypical Kentuckian is aggressive, unafraid to confront someone, die-hard republican, anti-equality, and probably very much in support of the Confederacy despite never having joined it. That, to me, does not create an audience with which I'd like to share an amusement park.

I have lived in Kentucky my entire life, born and raised here, and am as different from your description as you can get. I am not an overly agressive person. I am a life-long Democrat, as is, believe it or not, most of the registered voters in my part of the state, which is the southeast part of Kentucky. I believe in equal rights for all, no matter what race, religion, or sexual orentation you identify yourself with. I do not fly the Confederate flag and would have enlisted with the Union if I had the misfortune to have been alive during that terrible part of our nation's history. I am not white trash and do not, nor have ever, wore a wifebeater.

You are correct, there are plenty of rednecks and white trash types from Kentucky. There are also plenty of good, hardworking, honest folks from this state as well. I have travelled around quite a bit of our great country, and have seen rednecks, white trash types, thugs, and other assorted hooligans in ever state I have been in. Don't put down an entire state or group of people because some of them may not be the best type of person.

• Like 1

I did not put down the entire state - or did not mean to. My intention was to point out that the stereotypes surrounding Kentucky kept me from the park. If it had been named "Discovery Kingdom," I would have visited at least once, period. I hardly think all Kentuckians are white trash or thugs, but (as you said, just as in every state) some are. And in all fairness, amusement parks are historically, in my experience, places where the "worst" types of people can tend to congregate.

I never said that the stereotypes were true or false, or delegated them to any percentage of the population or area. I only said that they exist, and that their mere existence kept me away, as close-minded and selfish as that may seem.

Again, my interaction with Kentuckians has been quite limited to Kings Island, but some of those whom I have seen are "loud and proud," and not the type of people I'd like to be immersed in. I wouldn't assume that "all Kentuckians" are a certain way any more than I'd say "all Ohioans" are farmers. It's just not true. But like I said, the CONSEQUENCES of the stereotype's existence are real whether or not the STEREOTYPE ITSELF is. This is why - right or wrong - if a group of young African American men enter a store together and go separate ways, the staff may be more alert or nervous. Do all African American men rob? No. Do most? No. But that doesn't stop the stereotype from changing the atmosphere and behavior of those in the situation. Same thing here - whether or not most or even many Kentuckians are "trashy," I still elected to not visit because Kentucky Kingdom does not sound like a place I'd be comfortable.

Are we all aware that the park was called "Kentucky Kingdom" before "Six Flags:Kentucky Kingdom". I bet that has a lot to do with why Six Flags had Kentucky in the name.

And I say your stereotype because when I think of a stereotypical Kentuckian.. it sounds nothing like your definition. Your's sounds very judgemental and bitter, where as your stereotype for ohio is a description.

As someone who moved to the United States and Ohio at a young age, I can't be meta- enough to think about what other's may think about Ohio, or what first arrives in someone's mind when they hear the word Ohio. I'm sure every state can be applied judgmental words in stereotype. California = rich, snobby, tan, material people. Is that true for even 10% of the population? Certainly not. But it doesn't stop us from considering it. West Virginia = inbred, trashy, hicks. True? Not usually.

I said way back on this thread that I do not want my tax dollars to go to this failed park. Tax breaks, sure. But during these tough economic times, we do not need to spend state money trying to reopen a park that is poorly located and has a poor chance of succeding. Sell off the parks assets and let this rotting corpse finally be laid to rest.

• Like 1

The Commonwealth of Kentucky owned much of the land and leased the park to Six Flags.

And anyone who wouldn't visit a park because of stereotypes that person has/had with the geographic location in the name is truly poorer for it.

I must say it's been a long time since I've seen comments such as some of those in this thread, which border on, if not are, evidence of narrow minded bigotry. We can and should be better than this.

Some of us now live in Georgia. I don't even

want to know what that supposedly connotates. Didn't bother Six Flags, as in Six Flags Over.

• Like 2

Indeed I did, and it was one of the bigger mistakes I have made in my life, one I deeply regret. I could have had many more fun times in that wonderful park, had I not listened to some enthusiasts ranting about just how terrible the park and its patrons were. Good friends from Jersey would beg me to ignore the comments and enjoy. Finally, I did.

And anyone who wouldn't visit a park because of stereotypes that person has/had with the geographic location in the name is truly poorer for it.

I must say it's been a long time since I've seen comments such as some of those in this thread, which border on, if not are, evidence of narrow minded bigotry. We can and should be better than this.

Agreed 100%

Now to get this train wreck back on track.

The park not opening next year does not surprise me AT ALL. I don't think it will happen EVER. At least not on the taxpayers dime.

KY, especially Louisville, has much bigger things to worry about.

Google Sherman Minton Bridge for a good example.

• Like 2

I am amazed to see everyone's opinions on the stereotypical Kentuckian. I don't get why people must assume that all Kentuckians are like this. I for one am none of the stereotypes and sadly I have to live among these other stereotypical people.

Also the Louisville area is very urban and not many "white trash" or "hicks" are found there.

so, does any of this have anything to do with Kentucky Kingdom and/or its opening?

No, it's just an excuse for GoodYellowKorn to drum up some controversy and play "devils advocate," giving him the opportunity to make long winded posts in an attempt to show us how smart he is.

Kingsrattler said it best:

Are we all aware that the park was called "Kentucky Kingdom" before "Six Flags:Kentucky Kingdom". I bet that has a lot to do with why Six Flags had Kentucky in the name.

I doubt anyone decided to not go to Six Flags Ohio or Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom because it had the state's name in it, no matter how much GYK wants to psycho-analyze it.

• Like 4

so, does any of this have anything to do with Kentucky Kingdom and/or its opening?

No, it's just an excuse for GoodYellowKorn to drum up some controversy and play "devils advocate," giving him the opportunity to make long winded posts in an attempt to show us how smart he is.

FALSE. Everyone knows that Dwight Schrute is the smartest person in the room. I am the enforcer and there will be no planking on these boards (i have no idea what that means... i just watched 'the Office')

• Like 1

I'm told that the TV show "Eerie, Indiana" was originally set in Ohio. That sums up the Buckeye stereotype for me. We shoot at water towers, thinking it's an alien invasion.

My neighbor was playing banjo on his back porch, and saw Bigfoot stepping over his fence.

I lived a few years in Kentucky, in Somerset. Needless to say, my interpretation of Kentuckians is that they are a boaty peoples.

My only knowledge of Kentucky Kingdom is of an accident, if I'm not mistaken. I'd never heard of it before. I agree with rcs that he shouldn't have to foot the bill of jumpstarting the park with his tax dollars. Let someone else bite that bullet.

One of my facebook friends said this in their status...This is how we all/most feel in Louisville, and it's true.

"LOUISVILLE = Cant build new bridges, cant open Kentucky Kingdom, cant pay the Louisville Orchestra. If Louisville wants to be a "TOP 20 CITY" they need to step it up!"

Guest rcfreak339

Agreed 100%

Now to get this train wreck back on track.

The park not opening next year does not surprise me AT ALL. I don't think it will happen EVER. At least not on the taxpayers dime.

KY, especially Louisville, have much bigger things to worry about.

Google Sherman Minton Bridge for a good example.

Louisville seriously has a ton to deal with at the moment and the Sherman Minton Bridge should be on the top of it's list.

Louisville, as much as I love the city, has many problems to face with right now other than Kentucky Kingdom. Reopening Kentucky Kingdom will take a heck of a lot longer then some might think.

• Like 1

Might be a good time to go back and look again at an article Mr. Hart has linked on his revive Kentucky Kingdom webpages:

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2011/05/23/profits-of-doom-how-the-politics-of-the-ark-park-killed-kentucky-kingdom/

Given the perspective of time, this article offers valuable insight in September 2011. Why would things be more favorable to this proposal next year? And how many of the questions asked about Ark Park now apply to the modified Kentucky Kingdom proposals?

Extremely bad news for any hope of reopening Kentucky Kingdom came out over the weekend. According to the local news, the Kentucky State Fair Board has decided to end all talks with Ed Hart and his efforts to reopen the park. According to the fair board president himself, Ed Hart is “out of the picture as a potential Kentucky Kingdom operator.”

As Ed Hart was really the only person who has had experience with not only successfully running Kentucky Kingdom in the past, but also reviving the park and building it up into a well known attraction once before, I’m shocked they would blow him off now after everyone has worked so hard over the past year to revive the park.

http://screamscape.com/html/kentucky_kingdom.htm

Meanwhile the state has thrown money at the crazy Noah’s Ark park project concept, but they’re willing to let a fully built park like Kentucky Kingdom just wither and die. They seem to think they’er going to find another qualified operator to take the problem off their hands, but I don’t think it’s going to be quite that easy, as most companies out there really are not going to want to even touch any kind of deal like this where they have to deal with the greedy Fair Board… who in the end was really to blame for Six Flags bailing out on the park as well.

With all this in mind I’ve got to say that unless they can get someone else on board before the end of the year, you might as well stick a fork in Kentucky Kingdom, because it’s done.

i'm sorry, but what is so difficult in seeing that the state has NOT 'thrown money' at ark encounter?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110930/NEWS01/309300079/Fair-board-ends-Kentucky-Kingdom-talks-Hart

Well the news is out Ed Hart is out, no more negotiations with the Kentucky State Fair board, Yeh!!!!! If he as a new owner of the park thought it was good then he would have put his own plan together,,,,,not city/state money sure tax incentives like them or hate them they are part of our society today!!!!!!!! No matter what!!!

But if Ed hart would have put an investment team together.....then he would have could have and should have.

Sad another park is going down but look north to KI and holiday world close to louisville they are the Power houses, they keep it fresh and Keep the Families coming, Sure us thrill seekers love parks but the families spend the money........

Don't blame mr hart for selling for profit years ago, or six flags for leaving ( my family had lots of fun, at the park) but it was frankly not a powerhouse park.....for six flags.....they took what was good and moved those attractions...

Finally if the State of KY fair board thought it was or will be a success they would open it, and find the money ....

If you want to open a park or a business come up with a plan!!!!

RIP KY KINGDOM / As we knew it!!!!