Kentucky Kingdom

Something else of note from the article.

Kentucky Kingdom spokesman John Mulcahy said the park plans a job fair, probably in early February, to begin the process to hire about 800 seasonal workers this summer.

Compared to last years article on the job fair.

http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/louisville-news/kentucky-kingdom-holding-job-fair-this-weekend/23739092

the park is looking to hire more than 1,000 seasonal employees

Say what you will, but if true the park is going from hiring over 1,000 seasonal employees to under 800 in a years time. That is quite the reduction in workforce. Then again Im sure the lack of visitors and drop off in attendance this upcoming year won't necessitate as large a staff. Come One, Come All, Ride the Run before the Fall

• Like 3

Depends on the definition of huge. Certainly it wasn't physically large, but in comparison to the other rides at the park (excepting perhaps the other Run), it was definitely hugely popular. And, it was hugely popular with me! If it only had better restraints, I'd personally put it right up there with Maggie and Phantom.

Kentucky Kingdom may not be my favorite park. Not even close, really. But it's geographically not too far, and it gives me a change of pace from always going to Kings Island. If/when they go under again, I'll be very sad to see two of my favorite coasters go with them...

The verdict is still out on the SLC. We'll see if a new train with different restraints helps in the slightest. If the experience is anything like the SLC at Canada's Wonderland, I'll probably not be returning to that section of the park. If the experience is like the Darien Lake SLC, however, then it may actually be a once-per visit ride. Maybe.

This brings up another question, with KK being so incredibly close to an airport, I wonder what their height restriction is, if there is one. Their infamous Droppy Thing was 177 feet, so we know they can at least go that high. Unless I'm missing a taller attraction in their history?

• Like 2

The BIG news in that story is the attendance "goal" for 2015.

Are you kidding me?

Mr. Hart, he of the bombast and showmanship, is setting a goal that is absolutely comical. I do believe that he was promising a million in the beginning. Now, with SEVEN, count them SEVEN, keys to the kingdom, and I suppose, another "huge" "new" coaster to promote, not even a 10 percent increase in attendance is expected?

Really?

November is a comin'

It's right around the bend...

• Like 9

The Courier-Journal says at least five new rides:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2015/01/14/kentucky-kingdom-gets-early-state-approval-tax-incentives-improvement-plan/21768971/

Note also that to qualify for the incentives, at least 25 percent of visitors must be from out of state. Good thing the park is in Kentuckiana!

• Like 4

Is it just me, or does that banner scream Seventies Retro?

Not the image or style I'd want to project for that park.

It just seems....old.

And the irony? I'm old. And to me, it just seems tired, faded, and a half-hearted attempt at simulated FUN, seventies style.

As do the attractions themselves.

Holiday World and Kings Island seem more of this era, this time. Not re-created relics of some long past age...a place that has failed twice already, and survives only because it is propped up with state property, taxpayer backing, and tax incentives.

• Like 6

They should dye the water red. Then, when Kentucky taxpayers look at the waters, they can see a raging rapid of red ink flowing into the park. Year after year after year....

See how Kentucky Kingdom contributed to the record success for the Kentucky State Fair in 2014! See the $9.99 admission when purchased at Kroger please the carnival operator and flood the fairgrounds with great throngs of people teaming against the fences waiting to get into the Kingdom, which didn't even open most days until six hours after the fair.

See the closed park during the very successful (for other parks) Boo season.

Yep, quite the successful partly state funded theme park. But then, Hart's partner ran against Mitch McConnell for Senate (and lost) and was a high official in the Kentucky Democrat Party. I can't imagine why Kentucky Kingdom would be a 2015 election issue, nor be in any trouble should the state house change parties.

• Like 7

The Newness of Lightning Run and Kentucky Kingdom may have worn off or will wear off midway through this season. Are these 5 (err 7) new attractions enough to drive attendance up this year? After all the park didn't even pull in 600,000 visitors last year and it will look much better during an election year to hit your attendance goals. Maybe...

Nothing is guaranteed in this industry and honestly I expect Kentucky Kingdom to throw pricing integrity out the window midway through the season as they struggle to meet the measly 650,000 goal.

Think they are not worried? There is a major issue when expanding the footprint of the park yet reducing seasonal staff by 20%.

• Like 4

Is it just me, or does that banner scream Seventies Retro?

Not the image or style I'd want to project for that park.

It just seems....old.

And the irony? I'm old. And to me, it just seems tired, faded, and a half-hearted attempt at simulated FUN, seventies style.

As do the attractions themselves.

Holiday World and Kings Island seem more of this era, this time. Not re-created relics of some long past age...a place that has failed twice already, and survives only because it is propped up with state property, taxpayer backing, and tax incentives.

Instead of looking at it as old, Terp, look at it as FUNs "Nostalgia" kick from a few years ago is simply filtering down south. ;)

• Like 2

That is pretty big expectations having a 12% or more attendance goal for 2015 over 2014! I think they would be lucky to keep it at 600,000, from what everyone is saying. Holiday World has a new coaster so I'm sure people in Indiana are def looking forward to it. Kings Island adding 2 new rides and bringing back another ride so that helps keep their fans happy. Kentucky Kingdom is going to have up hill battle, just don't look down!

• Like 4

Also face-palming at "Raging Rapids River Ride". They seriously couldn't come up with a better name for it than that? And people complained about generic ride names at Kings Island...

I was actually just thinking that all of the names are pretty horrible. I particularly dislike T3 simply because I already thought T2 was an incredibly dumb name, and the new name is even worse. I'm guessing it's that hideous new paint job that brings the terror to the 3rd power?

Anyway, ride names are the least of Kentucky Kingdom's worries at this point.

• Like 4

That is pretty big expectations having a 12% or more attendance goal for 2015 over 2014! I think they would be lucky to keep it at 600,000, from what everyone is saying. Holiday World has a new coaster so I'm sure people in Indiana are def looking forward to it. Kings Island adding 2 new rides and bringing back another ride so that helps keep their fans happy. Kentucky Kingdom is going to have up hill battle, just don't look down!

It would actually be only an approximate 8.3 percent increase.

• Like 1

It would actually be only an approximate 8.3 percent increase.

Thanks for the correction, 8.3 you are right!

• Like 1

Looking at Kentucky Kingdom's website, it would appear that Subway is listed as a sponsor for 2015. Could this mean new food options? Any food stands on that path that leads back to T3 will need something in them, so it seems plausible. Of course, McDonald's was a sponsor last season, and we still did not see a McDonald's location in the park, so it might not mean anything at all.

And they've already announced that a taco place will be opening. That path back to T3 doesn't look long enough to bring more than one new food stall with it.

Also face-palming at "Raging Rapids River Ride". They seriously couldn't come up with a better name for it than that? And people complained about generic ride names at Kings Island...

Personally, I'm surprised they opted to go with a name that, when put in Google, has a very high likelihood of pointing potential visitors to no less than three vastly superior amusement parks within a day's driving distance that have a great deal more attractions... One of which being VERY close to them geographically...

• Like 2