Kentucky Kingdom

Yes the similarities between HRP and KK are very obvious.  I am not one to refer to Wikipedia as a trusted source but they have an amazingly detailed history of HRP that is well cited, its first year failure and then the actions of the parks as FMP.  The big difference between HRP and KK currently is HRP had 0 state funded support unlike KK.

Link to the article here and the similarities are quite amazing, well worth the read.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Music_Park

• Like 3

Not to double post but season passes under FMP were roughly $65 when single day admission was high $30's before discounts.

The similarities to KK are astounding which is why many of us in this forum keep point them out because KK is walking down the same path.

• Like 1

Yes the similarities between HRP and KK are very obvious.  I am not one to refer to Wikipedia as a trusted source but they have an amazingly detailed history of HRP that is well cited, its first year failure and then the actions of the parks as FMP.  The big difference between HRP and KK currently is HRP had 0 state funded support unlike KK.

Link to the article here and the similarities are quite amazing, well worth the read.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Music_Park

That was a pretty interesting read. Thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

Not to double post but season passes under FMP were roughly $65 when single day admission was high $30's before discounts.

The similarities to KK are astounding which is why many of us in this forum keep point them out because KK is walking down the same path.

And that's how Michigan's Adventure will get a hyper-gtx.

So, HRP had multiple Investors and a 385 million dollar loan.

The park only cost 225 million dollars to build.

That leaves 165 million dollars left plus investors.

Yet......

They couldn't afford to advertise?

It sounds to me like a few execs created their own Golden Parachute.

• Like 2

Hard Rock Park failed for several reasons including:

Location - They were smart for the location off of US501 but it was too far inland. It should have been closer to the beach.

Price - For the number of attractions the park had, they were originally charging Carowinds prices or higher. Family Kingdom is Pay per Ride or wristband as was the Myrtle Beach Pavilion(c1948-2006). Freestyle ending up having to charge $17.76 for two people to get visitors to come, the problem with that is they were selling tickets below costs.

Theme - The majority of beach going tourists are families, Hard Rock Park was basically an adult theme park with limited options for children. Adult humor was everywhere, all of which was removed when the park became Freestyle.

Economy - I dare say this was the second biggest factor.

I predicted the failure of Hard Rock Park from nearly the start of it.

• Like 2

Given the history, complicated lease agreement, tax incentives and all the known factors. Without having seen the area around the park ever in person, I believe it could go two ways.

Closure due to loss of State Support or Mismanagement by Underinvestment, as evidence of this: T3, Rides leased for 1 year(this to me was done to minimize loss if the park has last year(I may be confused on this)), Bad PR, Strange advertising practices.

Or

Sell by Hart & Co in a similar fashion to mide to late 90s. In my opinion, he is in the business for one reason. Buy low & Flip for profit! Either way I feel that History will repeat itself.

As an Amusement Park Enthusiast, I find it fun to anazyle park's futures.

• Like 4

There are other differences as well.  The first drop isn't as steep and the last few hills are straight rather than snaking through s-curves like the now-standard issue model does.  El Condor at Walibi Holland is the closest thing to a T3 'clone' since it too is the prototype model. 

• Like 1