Kentucky Kingdom

Hangman at Opryland and now of Wild Adventures, a lot closer--also a prototype.

Incorrect... made that mistake myself before. Opryland's Hangman is actually now Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Honestly I have very fond memories of the ride at Opryland so T3 doesn't sound bad to me.
  • Like 3

The day has come when Terp was wrong. I think I can live my life now. 

On a more serious note, it may not be the best (or smoothest) ride but it will get me to go to the Kingdom this year. Now I have 2 roller coasters I have never ridden there.

• Like 4

Reports are that T3 was supposed to open at 4:30 p.m. today, and apparently, as this post is being typed, the first public riders are in line and preparing to ride.

Thunder Run opened five hours after it was supposed to. The wait was well worth it.

Shivering Timbers, the same. The wait was five hours. The other major CCI that opened that same year was far superior, in my book. And still is. (Worth a trip to Bessemer, Alabama. It is.)

• Like 4

^

"You're sitting comfortably, your hanging loose, but still secure — it's really just an exhilarating ride from start to finish," said John Mulcahy, communications and marketing director for Kentucky Kingdom.

"your hanging loose"? Whose bad grammar is that? The newspaper's in transcribing a spoken statement, or Mr. Mulcahy's in an email to the newspaper?

(Yes, I know I'm nitpicking. It's what grammar nerds do when they're bored. :P)

• Like 4

--suspended over the track...

--leaves the impression the coaster was completely replaced and T2 is utterly gone.

--makes clear there are at least two classes or even castes of customers--Indianans who get two day deals...and Kentuckians who get to help subsidize the place and pay full freight...

• Like 6

--suspended over the track...

--leaves the impression the coaster was completely replaced and T2 is utterly gone.

--makes clear there are at least two classes or even castes of customers--Indianans who get two day deals...and Kentuckians who get to help subsidize the place and pay full freight...

Leaves the impression, yes.  But this tourism tax credit is available to any entity that brings in people from outside of the Commonwealth.  Bluegrass Boardwalk would have been able to use the program had they become the operator of the facility.

As far as Kentuckians subsidizing by paying increased prices--$59.95 season passes were available in Louisville and Lexington Kroger markets (whose reach is very deep into most areas of the Commonwealth) from last season up until late Spring 2016,  Granted, Louisville prices were increased to $79.95, but still very affordable to many citizens.

I'm just glad someone advised me to visit this year.  :rolleyes:  Two great coasters and now I am actually going to try T3 next trip.

That is not the only subsidy Kentucky Kingdom gets from Kentucky taxpayers:

* The land is leased at far, far below market rates.

* The land (and rides) are used as collateral for a loan from The Bank of Kentucky.

Both of which were part of the Bluegrass Boardwalk deal.  The fair board, I would hope, would recognize that a tenant that brings in at least $500,000.00 plus a percentage of revenue, both of which increase incrementally each sucessive year of the lease is better than zero dollars.

The collateral-very legal.  This option would be available to any operator such as the Koch family, CF, SIX and even Ed Hart.  After the Bluegrass Boardwalk venture collapsed, Mr. Hart was the sole bidder,  (that we know of).

The land being used as collateral was NOT offered to the Kochs, was NOT part of the Request for Proposals that Mr. Hart responded to, and was only reluctantly agreed to by the Commonwealth as Hart and Co. could not get financing without it. Even then, the lender offered far less than was requested.

• Like 5