Kentucky Kingdom

I think that the park has surpassed many expectations and that each year it is opens bodes well for the future.  It has had two seasons-many said it would not have one.  It has a new coaster-Lightning Run, that many said was not impressive.  It is.  Thunder Run reopened, and gives a tremendous ride.  T3 reopened, and it was actually enjoyable (my opinion, and I had never ridden T2).  Storm Chaser looks like it will be a hit.  The water park gains good reviews.

The park has many issues to overcome, and I think they are making some good inroads.

All this is coming from someone who swore he would never step foot inside the park again after his miserable experience in 2008.  He may also try another SIX park in the next year or two.

I honestly think it is amazing that a park that was vacated and given up for dead is as good as it is.

• Like 7

Am I the only one that thinks the park will succeed but still won't be heartbroken if it doesn't?

I'm the reverse. I think it is very highly UNlikely to succeed. And I will be heartbroken if it doesn't succeed.

As for exceeding expectations, the park has yet to meet the expectations that Mr. Hart himself set for the park. I am quite sure you could buy out his lease for far less than you might think. There is such a thing as buying an obligation.

• Like 4

We almost lost Thunder Run forever once. I would be absolutely devastated if it happened again. If the park fails now, I think that it's done for good, with zero chance of returning again.

There are a lot of things about Kentucky Kingdom that I don't care for, but darn it, they have one of my favorite coaster collections among any parks I've been to.

• Like 8

Since I posted on a tied finish :)

Am I the only one that thinks the park will succeed but still won't be heartbroken if it doesn't?

I'm the reverse. I think it is very highly UNlikely to succeed. And I will be heartbroken if it doesn't succeed.

I hope you're wrong.

For both of our sakes..

And I guess everyone else too.

• Like 5

We almost lost Thunder Run forever once. I would be absolutely devastated if it happened again. If the park fails now, I think that it's done for good, with zero chance of returning again.

There are a lot of things about Kentucky Kingdom that I don't care for, but darn it, they have one of my favorite coaster collections among any parks I've been to.

Gotta hand it to Kentucky Kingdom, they've always had a diverse collection of coasters, from Chang, Twisted Twins and Greezed Lightning under SIX to The Runs and (soon to be) Storm Chaser now. Although I will likely not venture down there this summer (I'd prefer my first SLC to be a non-modded version, just to see what it's like)), I'd likely to return in 2017 and am interested to see their coaster collection grow once more.

• Like 1

Gotta hand it to Kentucky Kingdom, they've always had a diverse collection of coasters, from Chang, Twisted Twins and Greezed Lightning under SIX to The Runs and (soon to be) Storm Chaser now. Although I will likely not venture down there this summer (I'd prefer my first SLC to be a non-modded version, just to see what it's like)), I'd likely to return in 2017 and am interested to see their coaster collection grow once more.

You don't want it to be unmodded. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

First, Chang and Twisted Sisters/Twins were Hart contracts.

Second, that reason for not going this year may well be one of the silliest, inane things I have ever seen here:

A. There is no guarantee the park will have a complete 2016 season, much less open in 2017.

B. Coasters do get destroyed.

C. You or the park may not be around next year. Sad, but true.

Most importantly, the park needs your business NOW. I tried to give them mine. Sigh.

• Like 12

Yes, I know, that's a really silly reason, Terpy :P

In all seriousness, I may try to get a trip down there sometime this summer; I thought about my answer a bit after I posted and was like, well, I've ridden Flying Ace (at 2 Cedar Fair parks, no less) and that's same restraints as an regular SLC I suppose, minus the inversions. So, yeah, if it's now or never, I'd love to ride Thunder Run one more time and experience a Breakdance :)

EDIT: Also, did not know that about Chang/Twisted Twins, good to know.

Another EDIT: Just thought of another reason to go; if I do SFGAM, Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom, I can make Nighthawk (#100) my first ride of the day.

• Like 5

In all seriousness, I may try to get a trip down there sometime this summer; I thought about my answer a bit after I posted and was like, well, I've ridden Flying Ace (at 2 Cedar Fair parks, no less) and that's same restraints as an regular SLC I suppose, minus the inversions. So, yeah, if it's now or never, I'd love to ride Thunder Run one more time and experience a Breakdance :)

Another EDIT: Just thought of another reason to go; if I do SFGAM, Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom, I can make Nighthawk (#100) my first ride of the day.

Nighthawk is awful, it was my sad 50th

Oh goodness.. I think Mind Eraser might have the most accurate name of all the SLC coasters..

I found it as rough as T2.

My advice, go this year :)

The next day, I rode Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland. At that moment, I gained an appreciation for Mind Eraser.

In my uncommon opinion, Flight Deck was even worse than Time Warp, which is an achievement, l guess...

• Like 3

But Nighthawk isn't at any of those parks!

To echo the advice given earlier today:  If you are on the fence, go.  Had I listened to my internal voice and not gone in 2015, I would not have had some great times with friends and ridden some great coasters.  I would not have appreciated the revival of a park that was left to decay in the shadow of SIX.  And I would have not had an opportunity to see areas that my home park is strong in, and areas it is weak in. 

If my 2016 plans go swimmingly, I will have many more parks to compare and contrast to.

• Like 6

Oh goodness.. I think Mind Eraser might have the most accurate name of all the SLC coasters..

I found it as rough as T2.

My advice, go this year :)

The next day, I rode Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland. At that moment, I gained an appreciation for Mind Eraser.

In my uncommon opinion, Flight Deck was even worse than Time Warp, which is an achievement, l guess...

Given that it's still an SLC, I do not doubt you.

Edit- it's so weird. Everytime I watch the ride, it looks and sounds (aside from people's reactions) really smooth. I don't hear any rattling or fast transitions.. so deceptive.

Whalom Park, Williams Grove, Americana, Geauga Lake, Six Flags New Orleans, Astroland, AstroWorld, Hard Rock Park, Wyandot Lake, Bushkill Park, White Swan, West View, Euclid Beach, Wild West World,...

In every case, someone said "I''ll go next year. Maybe."

And there was no next year...

And perhaps soon, Conneaut Lake Park.

That's why I went last year. And as sad as the state of the park was, I had a blast on Devil's Den and Blue Streak.

• Like 4

Second, that reason for not going this year may well be one of the silliest, inane things I have ever seen here:

A. There is no guarantee the park will have a complete 2016 season, much less open in 2017.

Most importantly, the park needs your business NOW. I tried to give them mine. Sigh.

Is there a reason, and a good one, for why you seem to be shunned from visiting certain parks?

Speaking of Conneaut Lake Park, I just realized it's only an hour from Waldameer. If by some chance it actually opens this year I might have to swing by while I'm up that way.

Absolutely go if it opens! *crossing my fingers* 

While it's not an amazing park by far, some of the rides offered are worth it, such as Devil's Den, Blue Streak, Tilt-A-Whirl, Paratrooper, Tumble bug and their scooters. There are a handful of other rides but they are meh at best or kiddie rides.

• Like 4

Is there a reason, and a good one, for why you seem to be shunned from visiting certain parks?

At Kentucky Kingdom, the Park's sycophantic poster actually made fun of me here for traveling to KK before its official opening. Not long thereafter, he stopped posting here.

If Kentucky Kingdom thought it could shush me by shooing me, it was sadly mistaken.

• Like 5

As I think he's previously stated, he wants Nighthawk to be his 100th coaster. Thus, I think what he means here is that doing SFGAM, Holiday World, and KK would push his credit count up to 99, so that when he does visit wherever Nighthawk is, it can be the first ride of the day instead of having to postpone it to later in the day while the credit count is built up with other coasters in the park.

• Like 2

Whalom Park, Williams Grove, Americana, Geauga Lake, Six Flags New Orleans, Astroland, AstroWorld, Hard Rock Park, Wyandot Lake, Bushkill Park, White Swan, West View, Euclid Beach, Wild West World,...

In every case, someone said "I''ll go next year. Maybe."

And there was no next year...

Not to be too grim, but also consider the people who have said the same thing about parks that are still going strong, and then there was no next year for those people. I said the same thing about KI, CP, WDW and US back in 2010. Then boom, cancer diagnosis out of nowhere. Since then I have made an effort to do things I've always wanted to do when I can -- when I'm not going through chemo or recovering from surgery, which have both increased in frequency in the last 2 years. But since recovering from my first bout with cancer I've been to the Masters (the feeling of going to the Masters for the first time for hardcore golf fans is akin to going to WDW for the first time as a theme park enthusiast), traveled to places I've always wanted to visit, and made it a point to get back to KI and CP in the last couple years after not visiting either for close to a decade. Now my family and I are headed back to WDW and US in May. I'd love to wait until Star Wars land is open, or even just wait until this fall when Kong, Hulk and Soarin are up and running, but that might be too late. Anything can happen between now and then. Heck, I'll be thrilled if I can just make it to May in decent shape.

I have been EXTREMELY lucky to get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th chance now to do things I said I'd do "next year", "some day" or "later". I know many others who were not so lucky.

Time is one of the toughest things to predict and one of the easiest things to take for granted. Don't ever take it for granted.

Sorry for getting so serious and dramatic on you all, but I just wanted to support and add on to Terpy's point. I'm glad he said it!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 11

As I think he's previously stated, he wants Nighthawk to be his 100th coaster. Thus, I think what he means here is that doing SFGAM, Holiday World, and KK would push his credit count up to 99, so that when he does visit wherever Nighthawk is, it can be the first ride of the day instead of having to postpone it to later in the day while the credit count is built up with other coasters in the park.

You are correct Sir Goble! By going to Kentucky Kingdom (and all the other places I mentioned), I will have my coaster count to 99 so that I can make Nighthawk #100. 101 will most likely be either Fury or Vortex... whatever comes first! :D

• Like 3