Kentucky Kingdom

Had my first visit since 2008 just yesterday. I hope this places grows. It was definitely mixed feelings from me. Ride collection is almost great. Two amazing coasters.. Thunder Run is a very fun coaster, of course nothing to rave about.. and T3... nope. Terrible. No headbanging but that was never the problem. The train still shuffles forward and backward constantly.

Their Angry Birds 5D theatre had spotty 3d.. idk why. And even for the little bit that it worked, it bugs your eyes because they make things fly straight into the camera.. totally losing the imersion.. things need to come toward you and miss, or just come close to you.. debris going through you? Meh. And the seats moving around was a nice nostalgic ride thinking back to KI's old movies.. but the film isn't set in a 1st person perspective. It kinda just randomly decides to do motion for the camera flying around.. and then later do motion for a character that you are watching from a 3rd person perspective.. and it's totally a marketing grab. If the 4D is when they add the moving seats to the 3D.. then the 5D is literally a couple of fans placed in front of the screen below and above.. they seem to just blow continuously, and not strategically.. the person I was with said they thought it was really fun, so what do I know lol

The landscaping at the park is georgous. The only food I got was a pizza.. I thought it was very delicious. And for the discount having the season pass, it was lovely.

The operations were okay. Storm chaser moved at a fair pace.. but later in the day, as crowds grew.. it looked like they had to do some work on its second train and so 1 train operation it was.. but they moved through fast enough.

Lightning run thankfully had two trains because that crew took their sweet ole time. I don't expect a hustle or jogging, but you can tell when someone's walking during a job and walking like they're strolling. The trains would stack each time and you got to bake in the sun for the same amount of time you spent on the main track.
T3.. goodness. Slow operations, and only using one train while the other sat on the transfer track. Idk if it was broken too.. but either way.. thumbs down.
Thunder Run was one train, but I hit it up first and the crew moved people through at a respectable pace.

I was unfortunately unable to ride Deep Water Dive. I got changed into my swim suit, started to climb the tower, only got to the halfway mark, and was informed after climbing that far that it was closed.. I would've appreciated a lifeguard standing toward the bottom informing passing people that only the blue slide is working.. but it's okay. I still got to ride the other rides I came for (storm chaser/ lightning run)

Overall.. great day. Lucky that I went on a moderately crowded day. Operations needs to step it up, food stands ran out of a drink I requested within an hour of opening, and I remember standing at one vendor with a line where there seemed to be one lone worker, walking in the back, to the front.. glancing at the people, continuing getting ready. I couldnt help wondering how why their staffing wasnt even getting two people.. or why we werent told, "hey Ill get to you in a minute/ hey we're not ready yet".. maybe close the window. Idk
The park shows some promise and I would like to come again.. but I hope that they fix their stuff soon so that they can be opened.

• Like 5

8 Year Old Taken To Hospiral From Kentucky Kingdom Water Park After Possible Seizure:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/32200783/8-year-old-taken-to-the-hospital-from-kentucky-kingdoms-water-park-after-possible-seizure

Hospiral sounds like a hospital-themed spinning coaster... or spiral slide. Possibly with downtown.

Hopefully the kid got the proper medical care!

• Like 4

First visit in 2 years yesterday.

Storm Chaser is as good as everyone says it is.  It is smooth and very forceful.  The ride makes some weird noises, but you can't have everything.  Very good looking ride too!

I actually enjoyed T3.  The new trains make a 1000% difference from T2.  The engineering of the track is still a nightmare from hell, but there was kind of a thrill with the whole, "this should hurt but doesn't" feeling.  

Lightning Run is still the "pack a punch" machine that it always was.  Great ride!!

Loved snapping their flying scooters. 

The park still, and likely always will, have a bad layout.  If you can look past that there is a lot that this park has to offer.  For those of you who don't like in the Commonwealth, they have a deal for 2 day admission plus FREE drinks for $30.  Can't go wrong with that!  Details

• Like 17

We took advantage of the 2 day deal. We loved it. Lightning Run is a great coaster

. Storm Chaser was pretty good too. I guess RMC coasters have a roar too. Very good water park as well.

• Like 2

We took advantage of the 2 day deal. We loved it. Lightning Run is a great coaster

. Storm Chaser was pretty good too. I guess RMC coasters have a roar too. Very good water park as well.

I think there using a a differnt wheel substance, not for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have no real grievances with Kentucky Kingdom this year (so far). Even now that business has picked up for the summer, the place stays clean, the riff-raff are kept in line, and the waits are decent. The staff on some rides and in some restaurants could use customer service training, but that's Louisville for you.

One thing I'd love to see them do is more strategic landscaping along the park boundaries. Inside, everything is pretty. Look beyond the fence, and in most spots it looks like a junkyard or barren wasteland. It's certainly not the park's fault, but it would be nice if they kept it hidden a little better.

• Like 4

What with the Governor having shaken up the Fair Board, word is, as expected, major changes in the Fair Board's relationship with its amusement park tenant are next.

See also The University of Louisville, its President and Board of Trustees.

The past and present cannot reliably be extrapolated as the future...as soon as this August. Fair statement.

• Like 3

This governor certainly is tearing things up from the root--of long established party politics.  It will be interesting to see when/how/if this plays out at Kentucky Kingdom.  I still don't think he would do something that would cause the closure, but stranger things have happened!

• Like 1

I didn't see a question just someone erroneously saying it would be closed. That asked for the source of that info probably so they could correct it so more people dont get mislead. They then stated the correct information. I didn't see anything wrong with their tweet.

• Like 4

Will storm chaser be closed tomorrow.... Seems like a Question because of the will. Due to the RMc closures is a clarification or reason for the question....

The response "what's your source" ? Like for the closures? The park very well could have said something like "our storm chaser is not affected by RMC... Blah blah blah". You know like a professional business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Speaking of the Kingdom. As of last weekend, the crosswalk next to Enterprise that was formerly employee and wheelchair crossing only is now open to all guests.

Yes and was much appreciated Sunday. The new path to Storm Chaser between the old dragsters and Thunder Run was a nice improvement as well. 

• Like 2

Will storm chaser be closed tomorrow.... Seems like a Question because of the will. Due to the RMc closures is a clarification or reason for the question....

The response "what's your source" ? Like for the closures? The park very well could have said something like "our storm chaser is not affected by RMC... Blah blah blah". You know like a professional business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't read it right, but in my defense that sentence didn't end with a question mark.

• Like 1