Kentucky Kingdom

A question about the number of trains that they run. I know a lot of the coasters have two trains, but I have only seen them run one. Granted, I have only been twice and those were buyout days, but do they usually run both of them?

If you go on a weekend Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, and T3 will most likely be doing 2 train op.

However since Thunder Run doesn't have a transfer track there is no way there will be 2 trains on the track.

• Like 3

^ Thanks.  My wife did not go last time, as she was not feeling well.  Since it rained, they are giving us free tickets to go any of the remain 3 days they are open.  Of course, the one day we could go has a 60% chance of rain, but that is better than the 90% last time.  As it will be open to all and the last weekends, I would expect it to be crowded.

• Like 2

A question about the number of trains that they run. I know a lot of the coasters have two trains, but I have only seen them run one. Granted, I have only been twice and those were buyout days, but do they usually run both of them?

If you go on a weekend Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, and T3 will most likely be doing 2 train op.

However since Thunder Run doesn't have a transfer track there is no way there will be 2 trains on the track.

Which is a shame since Thunder Run is so re-ridable.  I hated that it had single train operation.  

• Like 5

KK's Facebook just posted that "The Golden Ticket awards are presented annually to honor the "Best of the Best" in the amusement industry. We are THRILLED to announce that Kentucky Kingdom's Storm Chaser was ranked the #2 best New amusement park attraction of 2016!"

Is there any credibility to this? I didn't watch the awards but I don't see how this is possible with all of the additions this year. Seems like another Indy Star article claiming KK the best amusement park.

Yes, Storm Chaser was 32 Best New Ride.  See Page 8

Ride:                            %of votes

Lightning Rod #1            20

Storm Chaser #2            13

Mako #3                         11

Valravn #4                        9

Switchback #5                  8

http://goldenticketawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-GTA-issue_complete.pdf

• Like 1

Some notes from today...

First Responders got in free. Free drinks for them all day long supposedly. Kroger had a company picnic there today as well.

$19.95 for out of state visitors, except those who live in the Indiana counties of Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Scott, and Washington.

They gave away the gate today, or deeply discounted it to boost attendance. 

Kentucky Kingdom is a clean little park. I hope it succeeds- I really do. Time will only tell.

Hartland has some things that I believe hurt it. Location being the biggest of them all, also it doesn't help that part of the park has a height restriction and can't go much higher than 100 feet or so. Also, the layout of the park is quite confusing. Cross the road to get to T3, Thunder Run and Storm Chaser. 

I got last train of the season on Storm Chaser. Was that train the last before Kentucky Kingdom possibly shuts down again for good?

Again, time will only tell.

• Like 2

I like the wording he used.

While improvements for 2017 have not been disclosed Hart said that new FEATURES will be added each year indefinitely. It's not fair to expect a new ride each year from a small park but I wonder what he's got up his sleeve.

• Like 6

800,000 VISITORS IN 2016!

INCREASE OF MORE THAN 200,000 OVER 2015:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2016/09/26/kentucky-kingdom-claims-attendance-record/91121874/

VERY good news for Kentucky Kingdom indeed.

I excepted good attendance number with them giving away the gate sometimes and (etc.). But did not expect that much, BRAVO Kentucky Kingdom Bravo!

On a side note the many times I visited the park this season it generally felt substantially busier than the last couple seasons!

• Like 4

I asked this question many pages back "what would be considered a success?"

I think 3 seasons with increasing attendance is a success. More so if they crack the 1 million mark next year. Well done KK. More parks succeeding is a great thing.

Wish someone could do the same for Americana .... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think having a new coaster like Storm Chaser probably helped boost there attendance a lot too. It was one of the main reasons we went there for the first time. Ended up loving Lightning Run too, plus the waterpark is great. 

Agree that the dragstrip area is prime for an expansion and really help to make the walk from the Storm Chaser plaza over to the rapids ride and T3 not seem so empty and barren. Would be nice for another small coaster or a couple flat rides added. Hopefully they can fit in another bigger coaster like Chang when it was there sometime, or at least another small intense one like SC and LR.

• Like 3

I honestly hope they do something with the old drag strip this off season. Even something as simple as cleaning it out for future expansion.

I was very impressed with the park this year. Clean, landscaped, operations were on point for the most part, but yeah, the area around the old drag strip was a real low point. I have to assume they have plans for it, because there's nothing between Storm Chaser and Raging Rapids other than an overgrown, fenced off dirt pit. It's really the only eyesore.

• Like 1