Kentucky Kingdom

From the beginning, I always questioned the Koch motive for Bluegrass Boardwalk. Do I believe they were trying to protect Holiday World? Yes. But do I also believe that they wanted to see Bluegrass Boardwalk suscede? Yes. I think it's possible to play both sides of the coin while still pleasing everyone. Besides Mr. Hart.

Now, with Holiday World pretty much at my doorstep, I'm pretty biased. I wouldn't be terribly upset if KK didn't reopen. Simply because it is beneficial for the Koch family and Holiday World. This means that Holiday World can grow.

But on the other hand, I feel for the Louisville residents. I know I would be devastated if Holiday World ever closed. Just the sentimental value of he place, honestly. I also feel for Mr. Hart. I hope he can be a large part of the future (if there is one) of Kentucky Kingdom. He seems to really love that place like his child.

(From the Interpreter's most recently posted article)

Hart would accept Workman's call, but refuses to be the one to initiate.

Workman would accept a call from Hart, but refuses to be the one to initiate.

We're watching preschoolers pout here.

• Like 1

I also feel for Mr. Hart. I hope he can be a large part of the future (if there is one) of Kentucky Kingdom. He seems to really love that place like his child.

Not to be a jerk here but if Hart loved the place like his kid why would he sell the park in the first place? I guess every man has their purchasing point. I'm sure $64 million would have turned my head too...

Just my opinion here: Hart can't be bitter about a place going downhill after he sold KK for a major profit... To me he showed the money meant more to him then the park. Just take the money and be happy. If he wanted to run the park he could've have done just that. But he decided not to when he sold the park and it may never open because of that decision. The only reason he pouts now is because he believes he made a mistake.

Or that he could have done it again. Buy low, sell high. Never love anything that can't love you back. And whenever possible, use other peoples' money. These are among the maxims of people like Mr. Hart. Dick Knoebels, he ain't. More like Dick Kinzel, but without the laundry allowance and the park general manager son.

Quite frankly, one of Mr. Hart's problems at this point is Koch envy.

• 2 weeks later...
The Kentucky State Fair Board met for the first time Thursday since plans for the proposed Bluegrass Boardwalk theme park fell through.

Board members said they were disappointed, because there were no signs that the Koch family of Indiana intended to walk away from the deal.

The Koch family, who owns Holiday World, announced in February that they planned to open Bluegrass Boardwalk at the site of the former Kentucky Kingdom.

They backed out, saying it was too difficult to deal with the red tape that came along with a state lease.

Now, the Fair Board says it will ask the state and city to help find a new use for the property.

The Fair Board also voted Thursday to terminate their lease to operate the Kentucky Yum! Center on behalf of the Louisville Arena Authority.

The arena authority has hired the firm AEG to take over day-to-day operations of the Yum! Center beginning July 1st.

http://www.whas11.co...-160736025.html

They saw no signs of the Koch's pulling out?

• Like 1

Interesting that there's also no mention of the other theme park operators who were supposedly interested in the property.

It's clear that the locals want an amusement park. The fair board needs to find a way to make things more appealing to potential lessees, rather than trying to decide what else the property can be used for.

That, is exactly it!! I dont care if that park got the most incredible collection of my favorite coasters and flats ever assembled in one area, unless I was allowed to carry my SIG in the park, or have an armed Officer next to me from the time I got out of my car until the time I got back in it, Id never even consider coming on property.

And then there's the matter the land is leased, not park owned. Few leased parks make it, most fail, for one reason or another. Bells is an example of the uncertainty that comes with a leased facility, as was Astroland on Coney Island of Brooklyn. But see California's Great America. So far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually, I doubt financing will be the problem. This smacks of a political deal. The last sentence of the article says the Fair Board will retain complete authority and control of the park. When people say the obvious, it sometimes isn't true. Mr. Workman and the board rejected Hart last time around due to what was said to be his unacceptable demands.

Something VERY odd is going on here.

If the rides are worth only $7 to $9 million at this point, what is the Hart group really up to? Watch this carefully.

• Like 1

The key word in that article was "unnamed" - you know the investor/bank/whatever who is going to finance $30 Million of the deal.

He may not be asking for state money, but Hart does not have the financing lined up for this.

I don't know. I doubt he would go forward to the press/fair board without really having investors. It may be that at this time he legally can not name them.

When I spoke with Hart on the telephone he genuinely seemed interested in reopening the park. The team I met with when I toured it was just as passionate. While I was hopeful for the Koch deal, it reeked of nonsense and a cout-de-tat ala Geauga Lake.

From my own experience in the industry, the rides seemed in bad shape when I visited and later even the Koch's noted that their "ride experts" came to a similar conclusion. I call bullocks on Hart's 2014 projected opening.

While it's always sad to see an amusement park closed regardless of its type or relevance to a local community, Kentucky Kingdom has been a bad deal since day one. The whole land and lease issue tied to a fair board that seems to have way too much political power for their own good just kills the whole idea.

It's very telling that the only people who have been interested in the park since its closure are nearby competitors and the local man who originally built the park (and subsequently made good money from selling it). Six Flags seemed more than happy to wash their hands of the situation.

• Like 1