Kentucky Kingdom

Even if a deal is announced on the first of the year in an ideal situation, two BIG, GLARING factors remain:

- Hart's KKRC and his team will still have to negotiate a lease.

I suspect this state is negotiating this. We have seen how inadequate the Fair Board is at this several times over. I suspect this is why the state finally stepped in. KFEC is state owned land, why wouldn't they step in? Freedom Hall has literally nothing going on anymore, as does Cardinal Stadium, causing a huge hole in KFECs funding. I suspect the state wants this fixed without providing state money.

- Hart's KKRC will still need to secure financing.

I think this is not as hard as one might think. When it was just him, probably. With the big names now tied to his project, I think funding is going to be the easy part in all of this. Busting your rear for a year straight to get the park restored is going to be the hard part.

And both of those factors are only if the state approves his proposal and selects Hart's KKRC as the chosen operator.

• Like 2

For something that is not supposed to be talked about due to "State Law" someone is getting mighty loose on the lips as of late!

I hope it all works. I think the people of Louisville deserve it, and, well, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than trying to fund Ark Encounter! If they planned on the Ark being done for the end of the world, I don't think they are going to make it!

• Like 1

This article is interesting to say the least. Trying to figure out how I missed it. In no uncertain terms, the state stonewalled Ed Hart, and it ended in a lawsuit, while freely letting the Ark Encounter pass by. Strange considering One park is already in place and need of repair, while the other is a pipe dream that will likely never be built. 40m of donations for just the first phase. I don't think we will ever see it.

http://leoweekly.com/news/lost-kingdom

• Like 1

That article provides a lot of insights and definitely makes one wonder about things. I think part of the big hiccup in all of this is that the State Fair Board will continue to own the land the park sits on. When Bluegrass Boardwalk was announced, the Fair Board places some pretty high stipulations in terms of attendance and profit sharing numbers in the agreement. I think that is part of the reason why the Koch`s and crew rightfully decided to pull the plug on the operation. Not to mention the re-opened park might have cannibalized some of their attendance from the Louisville market. At the very least it would have distracted them from their park in Santa Claus, IN.

It will be interesting to see if and when an agreement is reached, and what exactly Hart plans to do with the park.

Gov. Bashear mentions the same things mentioned above ^ In an interview.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20396714/beshear-says-the-jury-is-out-on-possible-kentucky-kingdom-deal

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20396714/beshear-says-the-jury-is-out-on-possible-kentucky-kingdom-deal

Both of those links are the exact same article; the only difference is that one is the mobile version and the other is the full-site version.

Both of those links are the exact same article; the only difference is that one is the mobile version and the other is the full-site version.

One has a video, One doesn't. There was a reason why I posted it.

One has a video, One doesn't. There was a reason why I posted it.

Ah. I don't usually pay attention to videos, hence why I didn't notice that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been loosely following this Kentucky Kingdom discussion, so please bear with me.

Ed Hart wants to run the place, so why won't the fairboard let him? The park is located on fairboard grounds, and I understand they don't want to take a risk, but they could be missing out on potential revenue for the state. Right now, the park is collecting dust and, I would imagine, is costing the state money. If the man has the ambition and presents a believable plan, why not supply Hart with the money, even if only a fraction?

It all seems to tie into this quote, to me anyways. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Because Mr. Hart did not want to risk his own money, but rather the taxpayers'. The place has already gone bust twice.

If Mr. Hart can finance his operation without state help, there may be a deal. Why should the state finance an amusement park? Other parks don't get state financing. And Kentucky is currently furloughing state employees to make ends meet.

Because Mr. Hart did not want to risk his own money, but rather the taxpayers'. The place has already gone bust twice.

If Mr. Hart can finance his operation without state help, there may be a deal. Why should the state finance an amusement park? Other parks don't get state financing. And Kentucky is currently furloughing state employees to make ends meet.

Hopefully within the next week or so, we will know whether Kentucky Kingdom will re-open or not.

• Like 2

Hopefully within the next week or so, we will know whether Kentucky Kingdom will re-open or not.

Is that a random time table, or did I miss something saying an announcement will be soon?

This is the kind of attention Hart wants.

Knowing he is the only interested party, it's seems it will come down to a "staredown" between political figures that keep saying opening KK is important & they only person coming forward willing to run it- even on someone else's dime.

• Like 3

The timing is also interesting. The City is willing to consider helping (which in political language is very, very different than saying that the City will help or even that the speaker is favorably disposed to incentives or would push for them). Makes one wonder who in the State/Hart negotiations is not budging or, on the other hand, if a deal is truly nigh.

I suspect the city's help would come in the form of tax breaks. Nothing more, nothing less. They want it there along with the financial benefit. The tax money they would make off hotel rooms and people willing to stay in Louisville to visit the park would far outweigh what the park would pay in taxes. I doubt they are offering up any kind of assistance, unless its more pressure on the state to do something, anything, just get on with it.

• Like 4