Kentucky Kingdom

That's a great video.

Many don't realize how under-rated Thunder Run was when it was first built. Bunny hill #1 (:59 on the video) had insane ejector air. Bunny hill #3 (1:05 on the video) was also a great off-your seat moment. There was also a double-up 3/4 of the way through that was later removed/modified (1:16 in the video.)

It's nice to "virtually" ride the original again. I'll have to admit, TR was the only reason I would visit KK in those later years.

• Like 5

Is it true that Thunder Run was originally designed for LeSordesville Lake/Americana amusement park? I had heard that it was supposed to go there just before the park closed.

Yes.

As I understand it...

It was designed and proposed by the Dinn Corp to Americana originally. This was one of the last coasters built by the Dinn Corp before it became Custom Coasters International. Denise Dinn actually was driving Dinn Corp by then, her father was semi-retired I believe. They proposed the coaster to Americana - who ultimately couldn't afford it and/or passed. Ed Hart (who was in the midst of a building frenzy at KK) then contracted them to build a wooden coaster for KK and they used the drafts from the Americana proposal to build Thunder Run.

Ironically, the Dinn Corp was also proposing a design to KI at the very same time. There was a fallout at the Dinn Corp, Charles Dinn retired, and the company folded - negating the wooden coaster proposal for KI.

KI, under the leadership of Carl Linder, then contracted Arrow to build a suspended coaster. In late 1992 Linder sold KI to Paramount, but the suspended was still contracted to be built, and the theme was altered to "Top Gun."

• Like 10

KI, under the leadership of Carl Linder, then contracted Arrow to build a suspended coaster. In late 1992 Linder sold KI to Paramount, but the suspended was still contracted to be built, and the theme was altered to "Top Gun."

Any word on what the original theme/name to Top Gun was to have been?

Any word on what the original theme/name to Top Gun was to have been?

I always heard the working name was "Raven."

• Like 5

I also remember seeing a sign right at the entrance to the ride construction (when it was Adventure Village) that called it Swoops, although the sign could have said something like "See what Swoops in next year...." I thought it was an odd name.

• Like 1

Found this old POV of Thunder Run filmed back in 1990 during its prime....

9 Years Later, in 1999...Kentucky Kingdom was in it's "glory years", as Six Flags had just taken over...

Wow. Look at how much KK changed from 1990 until 1999 from these POV videos... :wacko:

• Like 1

^
I didn't see any real difference, save maybe it was a teeny bit slower, which could have been a variety of factors. I had meant basically, look at how the trees and such had grown in around Thunder Run 9 years later, and look at all the new rides easily visible surrounding it that were not there in 1990 (Chang, Twisted Twins, Giant Wheel, etc)...I don't know if Thunder Run itself had changed much at all by 1999.

You didn't see a difference? Watch again...closely.

In 1990 there was a double up and a slight drop, around mid course. 1999 it was gone.

I remember wrenching my neck in the double up. That was a brutal trick track section! Kind of like the trick track on Phantom's Revenge (double down near the end of the ride). Its like a speed bump.

• Like 2

They have posted pics on FB of the train being rehabbed and retracking of the coaster.

And that is VERY good news. Thunder Run is an awesome ride.

Here's the picture that DIeseltech20 was referring to.....

I'm glad to know that maybe the Thunder will one day Run again.... and as Terpy said, it is an awesome ride!

(Photo Courtesy of The New Kentucky Kingdom)

2nbhpia.jpg

• Like 7

I live in Louisville and I really hope this park is able to thrive following its reopening. It was so sad to watch my home park tumble downward when it was under Six Flags management. Unfortunately, the park was at a huge disadvantage from the start. It has very little room for growth or expansion due to its urban location. Nonetheless, I'm hopeful Ed Hart will be able to make the best of the situation and introduce new world class rides that will draw many to the park. Kings Island will always be my favorite park because it was where my interest with the industry began, but KK is part of my hometown and I want it to do nothing but succeed.

• Like 7