Kentucky Kingdom

Why is everybody thinking Thunder Run is going to be connected to Twisted Twins? The article linked by IndyGuy4KI on the previous page says that it will be connected to "a new wooden roller coaster", which implies new construction, and says nothing about Twisted Twins, which is certainly not new.

• Like 4

I am still failing to see where it was actually reported that TR and TT would be connected to each other. It was speculated by somebody at TPR, as well as several users here, but I cannot find any evidence of it beyond speculation, and the article linked by IndyGuy says a "new" coaster. If there is indeed a source saying that this "new" coaster is Twisted Twins, then somebody please give me a direct link to it, because otherwise you're just confusing me.

• Like 1

As with any site, things will be edited and changed upon further information being revealed, and or that information is no longer relevant. Or, in this case, a phony story that was changed due to the nature of the story being incorrect, that's not to say that it wont change again either.

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out how people can assume that the 'proposed' 2016 budget will be even be the budget we see in 2016.

From my experience, budgets change week-to-week, month-to-month and quarter-by-quarter. Who's to say that with the growing popularity KK is amassing in the central and western KY regions, that they wouldn't generate enough money to set themselves up for a couple of years? Maybe even enough to start financing on a big coaster remodel via Gravity Group or Rocky Mountain?

I think you all are to quick to assume that this budget will stay the same. My prediction, it will grow. They are setting themselves up for a VERY successful first year (as it would appear, locally). I for one hope they do this and it's a huge success.

• Like 2

They did mention in the comments area that Tin Lizzies are staying. It did not say whether or not the ride would be modified. By the looks of things, it looks like they are on the North side of the ride, right where the bridge crosses over. I am guessing larger trees are being removed and some utilities work. Maybe some footings as well?

• Like 3

After seeing where Banshee is in it's construction phase, I don't see how it is going to be possible to get everything Kentucky Kingdom has said they are going to open in 2014 done by opening day. Lightning Run has 0 vertical construction and the first slide complex began the other day. They are telling me that they are going to build a rollercoaster, 2 slide complexes, a new wave pool, an adventure river, a Drop Tower, an Eagles ride, bumper cars, and update their indoor theatre all in 4 months? I don't see how that is going to be possible, especially seeing the pace they seem to be moving at now.

• Like 4

I think they have a shot of building all of the flat rides and the slide complex. The things that catch my attention as to should have been started awhile ago are the adventure river, the wave lagoon, and Lightning Run. I think that all of these might be built by the time the park opens but my guess is Lightning Run will be in the testing phase when the park opens.

After seeing where Banshee is in it's construction phase, I don't see how it is going to be possible to get everything Kentucky Kingdom has said they are going to open in 2014 done by opening day. Lightning Run has 0 vertical construction and the first slide complex began the other day. They are telling me that they are going to build a rollercoaster, 2 slide complexes, a new wave pool, an adventure river, a Drop Tower, an Eagles ride, bumper cars, and update their indoor theatre all in 4 months? I don't see how that is going to be possible, especially seeing the pace they seem to be moving at now.

May 24 is over 4 months away. Don't let social media worry your hopes.

• Like 6

And there is still a potential for some serious cold and a very wet spring. The construction window is very tight.

Terpy's post regarding Magic Springs is very relevant to the future of KK as is the history of Magic Springs during post Hart ownership. Worth the read.

• Like 6

Within limits. But, does Kentucky Kingdom have enough money? And from whence did it come? Lastly, does the park have the kind of problems money cannot fix? Few would argue that Geauga Lake had inherent problems that no amount of money could fix, once Six Flags ironically spent boatloads of money turning the park into something it had never been before.

I'd argue there can even be a thing such as too much money. Spend too much, you'll never get an adequate return on investment. (Six Flags under Gary Story). Not enough, parks eventually fail (many, many small parks and some not so small).

• Like 4

I am hoping Kentucky Kingdom does well. I loved going there. I actually preferred it pre Six Flags, I really cannot quite put a reason with that. So, it opening up non Six Flags makes me a little happier. It's the only Six Flags park I've been to. I think with what I had heard about other Six Flags properties I was expecting more improvements in the years it operated.

There are so many issues that go into the spending too much, too little, etc. I think if they can get some huge coasters or top thrills it will help, but when you factor Kings Island is less than two hours away, Holiday World 1 1/2 hours away and even Dollywood about 4 hours away, they have really steep competition. Especially with Kings Island and Dollywood. Those two parks alone have consistently made changes, added some major thrills and continue to do so.

With all seriousness, Dollywood excels with customer service more than many other parks. (Kings Island has drastically improved over the past several years.) note: I have never been to any Disney location. I've heard their parks are dynamic.

Having enough "thrill" to draw from those parks will take money. I still struggle with how it will be profitable over time. I just don't see how it could be. Personally even if I had unlimited resources I would not throw excessive amounts of money into a park that needs extensive improvements.

I still see issues with many things. Having any type of drop ride seems like a very bad choice. Marketing is still lacking. Announcements not done at appropriate times. Where's the hype?

Even if I was not aware of things going on with a new ride at Kings Island, they had enough hype about Banshee I would have heard about it. My mom who is in her mid 60's, that is not a huge fan of amusement/theme/thrill parks that lives an hour west of Indianapolis told me she heard Kings Island was getting a new ride before August 8.

In Indianapolis they had on one of the news outlets about Banshee being completed. This is free marketing, in the winter time getting people excited about the park already. I don't know why something like this would not be done at Kentucky Kingdom.

I still feel a huge negative is the parking issue. I understand that it's something unavoidable, however if I am deciding to go to Kings Island or Kentucky Kingdom for the day, I would likely choose Kings Island with one reason being parking is already included in my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8