Kentucky Kingdom

Great points!^

I think right now its easy to compare KK and KI because KK is opening anew while KI is opening a new ride. We can compare (sort of) how each park is doing things.

KI invited media members, streamed online, used social media, and had a big unveiling for Banshee.

KK used social media, announced the new ride late on a Saturday (?).

KI has their PR guy (the awesome Don) doing TV and radio interviews talking about the park, mentioning season passes, and the ride.

KK used social media.

KI has drawn interest from news groups outside the area.

KK....

• Like 10

These are great points and to show the reach I have seen from the marketing approach KI has taken. I have family in the Norfolk VA area, they called me about a week after Banshee was announced to ask me questions about it and the park. They are now planning a trip here to stay at Great Wolf and visit KI. They are not park enthusiasts and are not looking for this info, yet it made the news. Remember they could easily go 30 minutes away to Busch Gardens and the Great Wolf in Williamsburg, but the marketing and advertising KI has done has worked for this family. I asked them recently if they had any plans for other stops on the way home and they said yeah we are going to another park with a new family ride. Kentucky Kingdom, I asked. Where? No we are stopping at Dollywood on the way home.

Just a small example, but interesting.

• Like 12

KI: Is open and has been operating for quite some time and is receiving tons of money through admission sales, concession, etc.

KK: Is just beginning to open up again...

I don't understand why we are comparing parks? Especially a park that is not even operating yet. If you're going to compare parks at all, compare a park that is trying to start up from scratch after being left in the dust, but you can't because no park at this time has even made it to this stage after being shut down for so long.

This is HISTORY in the making people! You act like as soon as the announcement was made of the park's reopening that they would be in full swing and kicking at full capacity. Let them get their footing before you start comparing Kentucky Kingdom with the big dogs...

• Like 1

Uh... YouThere- this, after all, is a "Fan Site" of sorts. There are no qualifiers of people to become new members, only dis-qualifiers if they violate Terms of Service. You're going to run into a WIDE (and I mean WIDE) range of opinions and varied expertise from Professionals in the twilight of their careers to Jr. High Students obsessed with roller coasters. Comments will range from legitimate to outlandish to just plain mis-informed.

This is a opinion-based forum and thoughts on here about KK may not be what the owners or employees of the Kingdom think or want people to think, but some points on here are the thoughts of the public at large. You post as though you have a vested interest in the park- so, herein lies some public opinion from an outsiders perspective. Take it for what it is.

• Like 9

They are in the same market as these other parks, therefore comparison is warranted and if KK thinks they are not competing against KI, HW, and DW then they are worse off than I thought.

I am scrutinizing KK because the tax payers of the Common Wealth are on the hook if it fails, not much benefit if it succeeds. When I see a so called start up park making the same mistakes that others have made, who have failed, I am concerned in the parks viability, sustainability, and impact on the Kentucky tax payer.

Being truly honest I see the lack of vision and planning for the future after the initial year or so as clear sign that this is a fly-by-night operation that is more political stunt / short term money grab than a project that is aimed at truly solving the issues that have plagued Kentucky Kingdom for years...

• Like 8

It's not even fair to state that this is a "Fan-Site", this is nothing more than a "Fanboy-Site". Where do you keep getting this information that the tax payers are at risk, you claim this, but you don't have the proof to back it up?

Furthermore, this is my opinion, I never said you had to think this way, I'm just stating an opinion that calls it as it is.

You don't expect a child athlete to take on a major league athlete, so why pick on a park that's rising from the ashes and comparing it to a company that's been well established.

Kentucky Kingdom in no way needs to compete with Kings Island, Holiday World, or any theme park for that matter, they just need to follow their own path.

• Like 1

The park (which is owned by the state) was used as collateral to guarantee the loans which are being used to reopen it, so yes the tax payers are at risk. I have mixed emotions about that fact being both a Kentucky tax payer and someone who would like to see this park open again. I agree with you that the park "can go its own path" and make investments as management sees fit rather than following the lead of other parks in the region but it would be foolish to not acknowledge that those other parks are indeed competition because their markets do overlap and Kentucky Kingdom is right on the middle of them. Like it or not that is a fact. That being said I am cautiously optimistic that the park will succeed.

• Like 5

YouThere are not posting to a site called KKCentral.

And Kings Island's PR rep clearly identifies himself as such.

If the Bank of Kentucky isn't timely repaid here, it can, and doubtless will, foreclose on the collateral, including land held by the Commonwealth of Kentucky on which the new Kentucky Kingdom sits. The personal assets of neither Ed Hart nor Bruce Lunsford are at risk. The state's taxpayers' land is. That's not true of Kings Island, Beech Bend or Holiday World. It wasn't true of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. Then again, none of those parks had the former Chairman of the Kentucky Democratic Party as a major investor.

Terp, just citin'.

• Like 6

If the Bank of Kentucky isn't timely repaid here, it can, and doubtless will, foreclose on the collateral, including land held by the Commonwealth of Kentucky on which the new Kentucky Kingdom sits. The personal assets of neither Ed Hart nor Bruce Lunsford are at risk. The state's taxpayers' land is. That's not true of Kings Island, Beech Bend or Holiday World. It wasn't true of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. Then again, none of those parks had the former Chairman of the Kentucky Democratic Party as a major investor.

...proving once again that [POLITICAL COMMENT REDACTED]. :)

• Like 2

It's not even fair to state that this is a "Fan-Site", this is nothing more than a "Fanboy-Site". Where do you keep getting this information that the tax payers are at risk, you claim this, but you don't have the proof to back it up?

Furthermore, this is my opinion, I never said you had to think this way, I'm just stating an opinion that calls it as it is.

You don't expect a child athlete to take on a major league athlete, so why pick on a park that's rising from the ashes and comparing it to a company that's been well established.

Kentucky Kingdom in no way needs to compete with Kings Island, Holiday World, or any theme park for that matter, they just need to follow their own path.

Judging by your second sentence, you have not read this entire Thread, watched/read any news stories about the project over the years, nor read the proposals outlined by the park, etc.

Most everyone here wants KK to succeed as we all love visiting parks and as they say "The more, The merrier".

• Like 5

In addition to all that has been said, Hart has done this before. He should know better. He should know the rules of marketing. Maybe he cannot afford a big commercial plug, but how much does it cost to send an email to every news outlet. Tell every news outlet that an announcement will be had at 8 pm on Friday. Invite the media or public, or host it on the website. Then make the announcement about the rides. You dont hide what you are doing you make a big deal out of it.

Unless there are reasons, the announcements have been anything but loud.... Also, has their been much movement other than clearing of space?

• Like 1

I'm not sure that after 2 months of posting you're able to critically assert this as a "Fanboy-Site."

For what its worth I've never mentioned anything about taxpayers being at risk, I know I've never taken the time to dig up proof, therefore never mentioned. (If I have, though... i selectively have short-term memory)

Your posts do seem to scream "D-Fense" more often than not in your 18 posts... just seems to me that you are more than the average Louisville-ite awaiting the park to open.

• Like 10

Been on here since day one. Most people here are against the reopening of the Kentucky Kingdom than supporting it. If several non-opinionated users have claimed this over time then it must be true.

In the terms of Banshee, That ride was never advertised in Louisville what so ever. Yes, it was on the news once in August, but we have not seen anything advertised here in Louisville and other markets about that ride and we may not see anything until the second week of April. I personally feel either way, Banshee will not have any sort of Impact on Kings Island just because I feel like Kings Island is sitting in a comfortable place right now.

Just like Banshee being shown here once on the news here in Louisville, Kentucky Kingdom was featured multiple times over the past couple of years in Cincinnati. The last and final time the park was featured in Cincinnati and other markets was the big news from last June. You could say Kentucky Kingdom should be advertised right now in other markets, but I feel as though that is would be a bad move.

I am about to declare my major of ISC in the creative field. Lets think strategic, This is the New Kentucky Kingdom, not the old one, nor Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom :blink: . Why not wait and show other markets the NEW Kentucky Kingdom? family's and friends enjoying what the park has to offer? Footage of friends in family enjoying whats is in there back yard is a reality. I would want to see actual people going on the new rides and down the new slides and Lightning Run in action, along with refurbish rides, a refurbish smooth riding Thunder Run, and guest interacting with the sea lions. If you was to show somebody the old Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in a new TV ad, how would you think those people will respond?

As one of your first parts of educational attainment in the field, contemplate the differences, in both costs and effects, between marketing\public relations and advertising.

Banshee has not been advertised in Louisville. At all.

And Cedar Fair would not be spending $24 million on Banshee if it thought it would not affect Kings Islamd. The mere notion is ludicrous.

• Like 4

I really don't care about your opinions. If or not Banshee was added, I don't see Kings Island having any difference in attendance, and that is just my opinion. You can say my opinion is ludicrous, but I really don't give a darn.

Tell you all the truth, in the terms of Dollywood, I've never seen advertisement specifically aiming towards Dollywood here in Louisville. Their latest coaster was never advertised here in Louisville as well. All we see is Gatlinburg and Smoky Mountain commercials with clips of that park from time to time. But that place still has success so whatever their doing is working

we may not see anything until the second week of April.

That's rather... specific. Do you know something that we don't?

I live in Louisville. That is when the commercials start to pop here in our area. But correction, we usually see commercials two weeks prior to King Island opening for the season.

Holiday World usually starts about a week before they open for the season.

I've always been the one who love seeing roller coasters during my commercial breaks growing up.

• Like 1

I really don't care about your opinions. If or not Banshee was added, I don't see Kings Island having any difference in attendance, and that is just my opinion. You can say my opinion is ludicrous, but I really don't give a darn.

If I'm not mistaken, CP (with its already complete lineup of coasters) had a record opening day with the addition of Gatekeeper so I fail to see why KI won't be as successful since Banshee, according to Don, will create a more complete coaster lineup. Also why would CF invest so heavily in a single attraction if they weren't expecting an increase in revenue??

• Like 8

In addition, I was just told by Louisville friends that the local television stations all have had recent Banshee coverage, particularly as the last piece of track was installed. There have also been many other Banshee stories there.

Who? Your close friend Ed Hart? Or Chuck and Dale? I haven't seen ANYTHING, Many stories on my local news stations? Your full of BS man

• Like 1

In addition, I was just told by Louisville friends that the local television stations all have had recent Banshee coverage, particularly as the last piece of track was installed. There have also been many other Banshee stories there.

Who? Your close friend Ed Hart? Or Chuck and Dale? I haven't seen ANYTHING, Many stories on my local news stations? Your full of BS man

No. My friends who happen to be broadcasters there. No BS here.

You see, I, unlike you, don't pretend to have encyclopaedic knowledge of what's on all Louisville media. I believe Mr. Helbig and his staff do have records of such coverage. If I'm wrong, which I am not, I'm sure he will let us know.

• Like 12

Dude we get it. You want KK to make it. You believe the rest of us dont. When you get older you will see that discussions dont have to be confrontational. At the age of 20 you have not seen much of the world out side of your bubble. There are those of us who have seen more and know a bit more, or at least understand things a bit better.

On this board you have former and current experts in a multitude of fields, some of those include: park employees, PR guys, marketing, park investors, media members, medical, auto, etc etc etc....

• Like 9