Kentucky Kingdom

At last check, they still said they were going to fix twisted twins.

Oh, I was going off of this park map.. for some reason I thought it was a new ride coming in 2016... oops.

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/mapbrochure_page1.jpg

T2 (supposed to become T3) needs new trains & track work. Couldn't get it done in short time span.

Same applies for Twisted Twins, except it sounds like it needs to be retracked, fixed & they probably need to figure out which trains will make it work correctly.

It wouldn't surprise me if they can get both done next winter.

• Like 1

Yep. It will be interesting to see how well they do this season. As others have stated, I think the big draw will be the water park. They are trying to reopen in a market that is already pretty saturated with Splashin Safari` and Soak City. The amusement park enthusiast in me hopes that they can make it work, but they have had issues making it work before. Granted there were other circumstances involved then. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

• Like 9

At last check, they still said they were going to fix twisted twins.

Oh, I was going off of this park map.. for some reason I thought it was a new ride coming in 2016... oops.http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/mapbrochure_page1.jpg
T2 (supposed to become T3) needs new trains & track work. Couldn't get it done in short time span.Same applies for Twisted Twins, except it sounds like it needs to be retracked, fixed & they probably need to figure out which trains will make it work correctly.It wouldn't surprise me if they can get both done next winter.
Twisted Twins has some unique trains. I kind of like them other than their painful ride. And on another note my awesome manager had me moved to rides and I will be working at the park this summer!
  • Like 8

^^^ & ^ I can vouch that they are at SFStL--or, at the very least, were at SFStL as of last July. They're in a nice little messy pile with Mega Zeph's trains underneath the brake run of Batman: The Ride. Yep, a pile. If I had to guess, they're being raided for parts for Boss' trains. I really hope that isn't the closest I ever get to riding Mega Zeph, but I realize my chances of ever riding that ride are increasingly slim.

I'm pretty sure that also was my favorite part of that Batman: The Ride. :D

• Like 4

Yep. It will be interesting to see how well they do this season. As others have stated, I think the big draw will be the water park. They are trying to reopen in a market that is already pretty saturated with Splashin Safari` and Soak City. The amusement park enthusiast in me hopes that they can make it work, but they have had issues making it work before. Granted there were other circumstances involved then. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

I think they will be fine. I think both parts of the park will draw, since there will be something local to do again.

When KK was in its heyday the first time around early 90s, the population of Louisville & Jefferson County was over 664k. It is now North of 750k.

I have a lot of family Louisville. Some of them built houses long ago in rural parts of Jefferson County. One of them told me last year "we have lived in the country so long, the city has grown to us!"

Something that is a 30 minute drive vs a 2 hour drive, will have a huge psychological effect on the local populous. I think they know that season passes aren't going to keep the park alive, but daily sales will.

There has been a lot of mention regarding marketing. I think they are waiting until the last minute to go on a marketing blitz & grab everyone they can.

The state fair should be a huge help as well, other than figuring out the ride ticket mess!

• Like 2

It's a good thing you are here to tell us.

I've NEVER seen such poor marketing. Camden Park does a better job of it. That's sad.

Maybe they plan on dropping leaflets from a hot-air balloon.

That's still better than dropping live turkeys from a helicopter.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

-Gator, showing my age...

that caught me off guard. Very good placement! Was that Less Nessman?

• Like 2

I think they will be fine. I think both parts of the park will draw, since there will be something local to do again.

When KK was in its heyday the first time around early 90s, the population of Louisville & Jefferson County was over 664k. It is now North of 750k.

I have a lot of family Louisville. Some of them built houses long ago in rural parts of Jefferson County. One of them told me last year "we have lived in the country so long, the city has grown to us!"

Something that is a 30 minute drive vs a 2 hour drive, will have a huge psychological effect on the local populous. I think they know that season passes aren't going to keep the park alive, but daily sales will.

There has been a lot of mention regarding marketing. I think they are waiting until the last minute to go on a marketing blitz & grab everyone they can.

The state fair should be a huge help as well, other than figuring out the ride ticket mess!

Problems with last minute marketing blitzes.... If people have their dollars commited elsewhere, it may be difficult to change the spending habit. Going to a park is not like picking up candy in the grocery store. People go to the store then see the candy as they are leaving and think "hmmm, I want a York..." When planning for a park visit, most families will look/call to see how much it is. Then budget gas and possibly book a hotel. They will look up/research things to do in the area, rides to ride, places to eat, etc. My family is planning a Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion (still debating about which one would be better) trip this summer and a Disney trip next year. It doesnt matter what happens around either place, those dollars are reserved for those 2 vacation spots.

If a family from Louisville has set their hearts on HW or KI, odds are the late marketing blitz would not help much.

• Like 2

Problems with last minute marketing blitzes.... If people have their dollars commited elsewhere, it may be difficult to change the spending habit. Going to a park is not like picking up candy in the grocery store. People go to the store then see the candy as they are leaving and think "hmmm, I want a York..." When planning for a park visit, most families will look/call to see how much it is. Then budget gas and possibly book a hotel. They will look up/research things to do in the area, rides to ride, places to eat, etc. My family is planning a Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion (still debating about which one would be better) trip this summer and a Disney trip next year. It doesnt matter what happens around either place, those dollars are reserved for those 2 vacation spots.

If a family from Louisville has set their hearts on HW or KI, odds are the late marketing blitz would not help much.

I disagree. If you told said family they could go to HW or KI once a summer, or go to KK several times instead of going to one of the others, because you will hardly use any Gas & don't have to pay for lodging, what are your kids more likely to want, one trip far away, or several trips locally?

I would like to know from some of the parks in larger metro areas what the statistical balance of visitors are locally vs out of town. HW is the outlier here, since it isn't near a large city.

I suspect that over half the visitors are local. If I could find the real information, I would post it.

I dont disagree with your statement, if we are talking about all things being equal. If there was a marketing campaign already happening, etc.

You stated you believe they will do a large blitz right before the summer hits. The problem with a late media blitz is the dollars are tied up.

A proposed child/adult interaction happening just outside the Lousiville Area:

Feb/March

Adult: Child would you like to go to KI this year and ride their new ride or go to HW and ride (x, y, z)?

Child: Oh I think KI/HW (chooses 1) would be great parent of mine!

Adult: Super!Ill book the hotel room and buy a ticket.

APRIL

Adult: Here is more info about the park we are going to, isnt it awesome?

Child: Sure is parent! I love you!

MAY/JUNE (1 month before trip)

Child: I saw a KK commercial let us go there instead.

Adult: ummm no. I just spend $*** on our trip to KI/HW. Thats where we are going.

Child: Bummer!

KK: Oops?

• Like 6

Not that it really matters, but what boggles my mind is that they didn't attach a "NEW" tag to Lightning Run in their park map, yet they do for Fear Fall. You would think a brand new roller coaster you are building would be a draw you would want to bring attention to.

Note: I am meaning on the actually image of Lightning Run, not in the description tags.

• I also noticed a few other rides are missing the "NEW" tag on their image of the park map as well.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I believe everyone plans things that far out. I think that comes with time, maturity & age.

For many families, I suspect summer planning doesn't happen until after spring break, if not later. I could be wrong, but then again it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

I agree about things in your local area.

But when you have to plan a trip that takes a few hours to go to, then I'm sure families plan well ahead. Especially when requesting days off.

If KK starts their media blitz yesterday then your point is 100% true.

If I go to a Blue Jackets game, Columbus Zoo, or CP I am planning that out at least a month or two in advance. If I go to KI, Reds, Cincy Zoo then it may only be a few days to a week or so. Then again I live in the area and don't need to plan logistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see both sides of the argument, but I am going to throw another log into the fire. I can see a lot of locals giving KK a try on a weekend to have something different to do they have not had in several years. The more important question will be if they walk out with a season pass and frequent the park often, or were impressed enough to come back a few more times over the summer and bring more friends and family with them!

• Like 4

It's a good thing you are here to tell us.

I've NEVER seen such poor marketing. Camden Park does a better job of it. That's sad.

Maybe they plan on dropping leaflets from a hot-air balloon.

That's still better than dropping live turkeys from a helicopter.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

-Gator, showing my age...

that caught me off guard. Very good placement! Was that Less Nessman?

Why, thank you! Les did the on the ground reporting, but it was Gordon Jump's character Arthur Carlson that said the line.

From KK Facebook Page:

Hole for FearFall has been dug!

I'm guessing this is the drop ride?

I was talking to a friend on Saturday (kittenpooh, for those of you that have been here for a while) who hadn't heard that they were putting in a drop ride. In disbelief, she went online, saw this picture and read me the caption. I hadn't heard what KK was going to call the ride, and when she said FearFall I said "What? How can they use that name?" You know, since there's a not-so-little ride down at Universal's Islands of Adventure, Doctor Doom's Fearfall, the structure of which is a prominent part of that park's skyline and which appears in much of their advertising.

Surely the legal representation for Kentucky Kingdom must have cleared use of the name FearFall... right? Right?

(They may have... and don't call me Shirley.)

• Like 3