Kentucky Kingdom

As I continue to look at Lightning Run construction pictures, is it just me or do some of the transitions look rough? I'm sure I will be accused of bashing KK again, which I'm not, simply concerned that elements look a bit rough in the transition area. Reminds me of how Drachen Fire transitioned from one element to the next and those transitions were the roughest part.

That is all, begin the flaming...

• Like 6

Well, I am no longer allowed to speak of happenings in the park but I can say Lightning Run looks bigger than I expected. Saw it up close and personal for the first time during orientation. Don't know why it isn't being promoted more but I guess time will tell.

I have to respectfully disagree. Lightning Run is smaller than I expected.

Now I won't dare be an armchair coaster judge (one who passes judgement without riding.) But I am visually underwhelmed by it's stature in the park. I have seen it up close and personal a few times and I pass by it every day when headed to my office.

I hope it will be a sleeper - you know, one of those fun little coasters that pack a whallop. Kentucky Rumbler (a wooidie at Beech Bend) is exactly that, and I wouldn't have expected it. But traditionally, small, compact steelies can go one of two ways: short, intense fun or short, intense head banging. Visually it has an *air* of how FOF looked when I first saw it. (Although not *as* tightly twisted.)

Time will tell.

I will say, thank goodness for Mark Brunner. He - with permission from the park - has documented it's construction. Although I see it routinely, he's been kind enough to keep other enthusiasts updated with progress online.

Shaggy

• Like 8

As I continue to look at Lightning Run construction pictures, is it just me or do some of the transitions look rough? I'm sure I will be accused of bashing KK again, which I'm not, simply concerned that elements look a bit rough in the transition area. Reminds me of how Drachen Fire transitioned from one element to the next and those transitions were the roughest part.

That is all, begin the flaming...

I don't think they look bad. No accusations here. They kind of remind me of the transitions on Vortex or Adventure Express, where they aren't overly long or lengthy, a bit quicker. Based upon the other elements in the ride, I have to wonder if this was designed as the steel sequel to Thunder Run, no just in name but in design as well.

• Like 5

My husband was at the Expo center today and he snapped a KK photo. I do wish there was more marketing for Lightning Run around the Louisville area, it could do wonders for the park. I have a friend who "loves" roller coasters and she knows that KI is getting "some cool new coaster" but had no idea that the park closest to us is getting a new anything. Le sigh, I really hope KK doesn't fail and become sad ruins.

v7JwqGK.jpg

• Like 13

Nice photo...and is that Lightning Run's full height? Wow, the Ferris Wheel a good distance behind it makes it look so small...though small coasters can be kick-butt, awesome rides in their own right and no one was expecting Lightning Run to be a huge monster anyway...the drop does look awesome though. (I'm assuming since Lightning Run's drop is 100 feet that is just one HUGE Ferris Wheel making everything else look very small)

Also, if that is Mile High Falls clearly visible all the way in the background...that is one BIG splash boat ride. I mean, it's no Giraffica, but still...

• Like 5

Hmm...a quick search turned up Wikipedia, which gives a height of 150 feet for the Giant Wheel...and their web site says the same. Yep, that's a pretty big Ferris Wheel... :P

(For comparison, I looked up Cedar Point's version...which is 136 feet. So KK has a larger Ferris Wheel than big ol' Cedar Point does!)

I think the transitions do look a little rough, but like Arrow, that seems like the style Chance uses. Of course they could have butter smooth transitions since we're beyond the time in history when these coasters were bent on site, but that's just not their design.

I continue to worry that Lightning Run is a really nice family coaster that's being marketed as the anchor of a whole theme park. In many, many ways, it resembles Kennywood's Skyrocket. If Kentucky Kingdom manages to get as many visitors as it hopes for, the line for Lightning Run may be prohibitively long, and guests exiting may have a similar point of view to those who wait an hour for Backlot Stunt Coaster... Just a thought.

• Like 7

I'd say if you are a big thrill seeker you would say that but, as many of us have stated over the years, once you realize the true potential of little coasters and what they do for families its a completely different ball park.

• Like 9

Bingo^! I have ridden many thrill rides and super coasters, biggest drops, top speeds, biggest loops, etc. The rides that have the best memories for me are the ones I rode with my mom and dad (mind you 2 of those coasters are Beast and Racer) such as Adventure Express or Iron Dragon and The Bat.

A ride the whole family can enjoy is infinetly better for memory making than the ride that only a select few can ride.

• Like 8

Oh, for crying out loud. It's all about new rides and re-investing in the park? And we are to be comforted as the new park is committed to spending $1 million to $2.5 million a year on capital improvements in the park? Really?

Separately, article says season passes go to just under $100 Sunday. Parking, I presume, is additional.

• Like 7

If you all come to Kentucky Kingdom this year, you are in for a real treat! Had tour of park today and got in training on some rides. Had a great time and now am looking forward to this season even more than before! Everything looks so nice compared to the past, it's unbelievable.

• Like 8

Yeah. It may look nice, but the park has stiff competition from KI, HW, and as the article mentions, the ghosts of the past. Not to mention $100 for a pass that does not include parking is really pricey. How much is a pass to KI or Holiday World?

• Like 1

^

Kings Island's passes are $117 for gold, and gold includes parking. Holiday World wants around $150 normally, but right now they are on sale for $139.95, and they don't charge for parking period season pass or not. (They also give FREE drinks, hence the higher price)

If that was a rhetorical question...then I screwed up. :P

Holiday World's current 2014 season pass prices are $140 for adult passes and $130 for junior and senior passes.

Kings Island is currently charging $106.50 for a regular adult season pass and $84 for a regular junior or senior pass.

Holiday World's pass is even more expensive. $139. Kentucky Kingdom offered the price of $60 for about 3 1/2 months. That's more than adequate time to pick up the discount pass which is half the price of Holiday World's. The $60 offer is still valid until Sunday.

Well then...beat to the punch.