Planet Snoopy gets ticketed

Colonel_SoB_fan

Guest rcfreak339

Where are all the members that thought that somehow switching from a annoying sponge to a cute little dog would cost Kings Island the Golden ticket streak?

Congrats Kings Island, Planet Snoopy is great!

Where are all the members that thought that somehow switching from a annoying sponge to a cute little dog would cost Kings Island the Golden ticket streak?

They're too busy fuming over the fact that, instead of getting a Beemer Invert or a Timmy Hyper, we're getting a 300-foot-tall Zephyr with the same name as the other three being installed at three other parks in the chain. ;)

Although I thought Planet Snoopy was a wonderful change for the park, I thought KI's streak of winning Best Kid's area might end since Planet Snoopy was not really original. ( Since the other Cedar Fair parks starting with CP already had it. I will say it again, I think CP is unfairly underrated as to its children's sections.) At any rate, congrats to KI for its Golden Ticket award.

This just in over twitter

Halloween Haunt voted fifth-best Hallowen event of 2010 in Amusement Today international poll.

....wow. Really?

I can definitely understand why Planet Snoopy deserves the title of Best Kids' Area what with their vast array of kids' coasters. But there is no way our Haunt deserves the number 5 spot for Best Halloween event. Not when there are seven other Haunts in the chain that have yet to be recognized and are, in some cases, better than ours, without resorting to shock value marketing-wise (celebrity skeletons and live farm animals notwithstanding).

Best Steel Coaster: Millennium Force.

Enough said.

Talking about this fanboi popularity contest only gives it credibility. Note that Cedar Point gets best amusement park year after year yet has but one only other #1, Best Steel Coaster. Not cleanliness, not shows, not friendliness, no other top rides, etc.

It's a way to sell ads.

And it works.

Good for Gary Slade and Janice Witherow...the latter of whom did publicity for Cedar Point for many years, and whose husband is a major officer there to this day...Nope, no conflicts at AT, no sirree! Nothing to see here...

...and Knoebels Amusement Resort.

And Idlewild, and many of the other awards are justifiable, too. It's not the results so much I have trouble with, as how they are arrived at and then promoted. Of course, some of the results are going to be justifiable...who can argue with the best waterpark, for example.

Even a blind pig gets a few truffles.

But the entire process just reeks.

As has been said so many times, Amusement Today's Golden Ticket Awards are a popularity contest and nothing more. Planet Snoopy is a fantastic kids area, no question about it. The best in the world? If you were a parent, would you rather take your kids to Kings Island's Planet Snoopy in Ohio? Or Fantasyland at Disneyland? Seuss Landing at Universal's Islands of Adventure? You're telling me that, from around the world, the most immersive, attractive, fun, interesting, [whatever else they take into consideration...] kids area is at Kings Island in Ohio?

And to re-iterate what The Interpreter said, shouldn't a "Best Amusement Park In the World" sweep the other awards, too, or at least come close? Something tells me Cedar Point wasn't even in the top 5 candidates for Best Entertainment, Best Food, Best Kids Area, Cleanest Park, Most Beautiful Park, etc, but somehow that all sums up to Best Amusement Park? In all fairness, I believe that that particular award needs to go to one of seven fantastic parks in Central Florida, or a "little guy," like Holiday World or Knoebels. Even Alton Towers, Tokyo Disney Sea, Busch Gardens Williamsburg... All are living examples of quality over quantity, incredible entertainment, dining, attractions, kids areas, cleanliness, landscaping, etc.

The Golden Ticket Awards are not really representative of the population's opinion. It's more ceremonial than anything - most of the winners this year are on running streaks, celebrating 5+ years of getting the same award. It's great for Cedar Point, because they get to hang up banners about it. But I don't even think that the general public is stupid enough to just go with it. I'm sure quite a few people mumble, "Well did that include Disney World?"