Why do people hate the Paramount Period of KI?

RD Reynolds

Just spent an hour reading this. During the constant commercial for Tomb Raider I have a question. Similar to my Kentucky Kingdom question how long does a ride need to last in original state to be considered a success? I would argue Top Gun still lives on even if the theme died after time.

Tomb Raider died very quickly when the theme died and the ride cycle changed. Plus the ride was removed. It may have been record breaking (See SOB) but still a failure, imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The industry defines failure in whether a ride met its goals or not.

Tomb Raider: The Ride was meant to be an initial first step in transforming the park back into an immersive, highly themed experience. At that, it succeeded.

It was a failure mechanically, as HUSS giant rides all too often are (see also Dollywood).

It also was supposed to increase attendance and pay for itself. It certainly did the former. The latter information is proprietary and has never been publicly discussed.

If the ride was a failure, it certainly cannot compare to Son of Beast. Little can.

Even if Tomb Raider: The Ride was the only Giant Top Spin On The Planet.

It speaks volumes no more were built or sold.

• Like 8

It's a love hate situation with me and Paramount. First, they gave me Boomerang Bay. By far one of the most influential things in my life as I went through a huge Australian phase of my life. And really, personally that was my favorite phase of the waterpark as honestly Soak City vs BB just doesn't add up. The great theme to that just really doesn't add up as it was so detailed. But if you look at how deteriorated it became from improperly managing both parks, Paramount left a bad stain. Sure, mind you that the park had some amazing theme, but it was also with bad treatment of various attractions which led to their demises. Also let me just mention Led Taxis and the Flying Eagles were taken out for the atrocity that is Backlot, originally a Paramount product dubbed Italian Job Stunt Track. We lost some and we got some, but with everything that came with Cedar Fair makes me like the transition much more than I do of the latter.

• Like 2

I was born in 1980 and spent most of my childhood riding rides in Hanna-Barbara Land at KI.  Looking back, those were some of my best times and I have fantastic memories of the park during that time period.  I absolutely loved the puppet tree and looked forward to the new shows and songs every season.  I loved playing on the McScrappy's Farm playground and watching the elephant fountain blow water out of it's trunk.  I loved Winterfest as a child and just being immersed in the whole atmosphere of the park at Christmas time.

Moving into the 90s, I was growing up and entering my teen years.  The mid to late 90s in the park was a completely different experience for me.  I was now a teen, and was visiting the park with my friends instead of with family.  These memories, even though completely different, were just as good.  I remember just walking around the park with my friends, hanging out and goofing around.  I remember hanging around the park with my guy friends and checking out the cute girls visiting the park that day.  Plus, taking a ride on the Phantom Theater to cool down in the summer was a great option to have.

I've managed to visit the park every season since I started going as a child.  Even the seasons I didn't have a pass, I found a way to visit at least once or twice.  I've seen the park transition through most of their phases.  I've seen owners come and go, and I've watched attractions get built and demolished.  I've been happy to see some rides come, but completely distraught to see other rides get ripped out.  Knowing that you'll never create new memories on that particular ride again is sort of heartbreaking.  However, as hard as it is, there are always new memories to be made and that's what I try to do from season to season.

Now I'm in my mid-30s and have been visiting the park now every season for over 30 years.  I'm married now and every season my wife and I venture back to the park to take a ride on the new attraction, or just walk around the park and reminisce about old times and past attractions.  Even though you might not think you are, you're constantly creating new memories.  Now I can look back to the mid 2000s and on and I have fond memories of visiting the park for the first times with a girl who is now my wife.  I can remember some of the first rides we rode together and the experiences we had at the park the summer we started dating.  These memories are just as special to me as the memories I have from the 80s visiting with my family, or the memories I have from the 90s visiting with friends.

I don't think it's quite about who owns the park or what rides and attractions are there currently (even though this does play somewhat of a part), but it's mainly about who you're visiting with and the fun times you share there together, and the memories that are being created.

Although I am slightly partial to the Hanna-Barbera days of the park, I can definitely look back through the decades and recall fond memories from just about every season.  It's better to not worry so much about who owns the park or what attractions might come and go, but more importantly about who you're with and enjoying every moment of the time you get to spend with those people.  Because at some point, memories will be all you'll have so make a bunch of them!

• Like 9

Being born in the 1990s, I loved the Paramount years the most because the first time I visited Kings Island, Paramount theming was in full force. I remember riding things like Phantom Theater, and The Beastie, Scooby's Ghoster Coaster, Adventure Express, when it actually had great theming, and all the effects worked. And I remember all the hype about Son of Beast. All my friends back in grade school would talk about how they conqured the mighty Son of Beast. I grew up looking up at that ride, which is why I was so sad when they removed it. It was like watching my childhood being ripped to the ground. I personally love the Paramount years the most. Thats when I had the best memories at Kings Island. But I can see for people who grew up in the 70s/80s why they dislike those years because people generally love and look back fondly on their childhood and not someone elses. I personally love the Paramount years at Kings Island the most, and I am very fortunate to have been there in the 90s/early 00s. I'll always cherish the memories I had at Paramount's Kings Island and always will be happy and grateful of the time that I spent there as a kid. Thanks, MaestroJr

• Like 3