Cincinnati.com Article About the Shooting Star

BoddaH1994

Me, too. It's one of my very favorite places...I could happily spend weeks there. Sequoias, wonderful food, the train excursion, the pier...I love Santa Cruz. I'll not soon forget the framed newspaper article dissing the Grizzly that once was proudly hung in the SCBB's Giant Dipper station. Last time I was there, it wasn't anymore...

Last time I was there I think was in 1990 or 91. I'm sure its a lot different now-but I thoroughly loved the area and the drive from Santa Clara. After the quake, the drive was a little more anxious, but we still had fun. I want to go back. We ate at this little restaurant-wish I could remember the name-but it was in town there. Good eats!!

I still have a few ride tickets in my photo album.

Can someone verify that Grizzly at KD and Wild Beast at CW are similar or clones of Wildcat at Coney Island? I know that Minebuster has been modified many times so the coaster does not really resemble Shooting Star any more although I definitely found the Minebuster to have characteristics of The Racer and The Beast (tunnel helix).

Can someone verify that Grizzly at KD and Wild Beast at CW are similar or clones of Wildcat at Coney Island? I know that Minebuster has been modified many times so the coaster does not really resemble Shooting Star any more although I definitely found the Minebuster to have characteristics of The Racer and The Beast (tunnel helix).

Consider it confirmed. All three are very loose modern interpretations of their respective progenitors.

"Tame by today's standards"

Probably the most overused way to describe something old. I get so sick of people calling anything "tame by today's standards". The Big Dipper at Geauga Lake had similar stats and that thing felt out of control as can be! I wish old Coney was still here, but I guess Kings Island is the modern replacement.

Keep in mind that Coney is still around, and still has rides. Albeit, no major coasters like Kings Island has. And there are two weekends left for Coney`s rides this year. The next two weekends, the rides are open from 12-6 as part of the Fall O Ween festival. After that, the rides will be closed until Memorial Day weekend 2011, when Coney opens for its 125 anniversary season!

I wouldn`t look for anything big in 2011 at Coney. Remember, that Coney did install a multi-million water slide in 2009. But you never know what Coney may have planned for next year. After all, it is their 125th anniversary season. Only time will tell...\

And Coney`s classic rides are only open for one more weekend! I know at least two KIC members ventured out in the cold today to swing by Coney. (They saw me, and I even took one of them on an intense Rock O Planes ride!)

^Looks like we'll be going to Coney on Sunday. I reminded Mrs. Gator about it yesterday, but she didn't say anything about us going because we already had plans for KI on Sunday. But today she said that we should go KI on Saturday and Coney on Sunday because we had a lot of fun at FallOWeen last year. So after I pick up my Snoopy bobblehead at KI Sunday morning (and maybe get in a ride or two), it's off to Coney!

Good to hear. As it is the final weekend the rides are open, staffing is looking a little problematic for this weekend (just like it was last weekend). Oh the joys of being a rides manager and trying to schedule people when there are homecoming dances, etc! Last weekend, we were so short for breaks the both days the rides managers were running rides, and on Saturday, the full time ops managers even helped out with breaks. I`ll be at Coney both days this weekend!

Don`t forget to check out the free hayrides back behind Tilt A Whirl, as well as the Pumpkin Sling Shot. $3 to launch a pumpkin, but you could win a 2011 ticket for the pool or rides next year (an $11.95 value). The rides are open 12-6pm both days. The weather looks to be nearly ideal. (A lot better than the cold temps from last weekend).

• 4 weeks later...