Drop Tower doesn't spin

DaveStroem

We were at the park yesterday and when we rode Drop Tower we noticed that the ride no longer spun. I don't know if this is the way it shall be in the future or just the way it was yesterday. The reason I ride DT is for the view not so much the drop. If the view is just of the parking lot I will take a pass.

One other note, I think the belts have shrunk from earlier in the season or at least the ones where I was sitting. Normally I can get the belt fastened by myself, but yesterday I required assistance. While I know I am a big guy, I rode El Toro last weekend with no problems (notorious for it's tight fit).

Dont know what to say about Drop Tower, as every time I have ridden it this year it has spun around normally (one complete revolution). As for the belts, I am 6' 4" and the harness hits my shoulders. The belt has to stretch to the max length to fasten properly, so i think they could use some longer belt straps as well

Perhaps we should count ourselves lucky... Kings Dominion's doesn't spin, and as a result, probably takes literally half the time to complete a cycle. It goes up quickly, comes down quickly (that's all that ours have in common), and then the catch-car or whatever it'd be called on a Drop Tower comes down quickly. Their Drop Tower has been a near-walk-on every time I've visited, but a gondola never goes up empty. The same amount of people are there, the ride just consumes them much more quickly.

Of course, seeing as how ours is meant to spin, I imagine it would still travel up the tower at the same speed it always did, even if the spinning stops. Six of one, half a dozen of another if you ask me... Though I do love the aspect of revolving on the way up, I rarely get to experience it since the 40 minute lines turn me away.

However its designed as a gyro drop, therefor they can keep that title.

It could just be an issue with the spin motor, or a capacity issue during haunt (with less rides open, I'm sure the park wants to pump people through as quick as possible.) If it is an issue with the spin motor, I would rather see the ride open and not spinning and down for that sole reason.

One reason that Kings Dominion`s Drop Tower may seem like it has more capacity than Kings Island`s is because it likely does. Kings Island`s only holds forty riders at a time. By comparison, I believe that Kings Dominions holds 56 riders at a time. Which means, that after three cycles on each, KI`s has had 120 riders, while KDs has had 168. Which is the equivalent of MORE than FOUR cycles on KIs. (That was also the premis behind HUSS making their Giant rides. More riders per ride cycle means better capacity and shorter lines, in theory. Of course operations and uptime also factors into, as we know all too well from The Crypt).

I wouldn`t know. The one and only time I`ve visited Kings Dominion was way back in 2000, before Drop Tower was even installed. I hope to get out to Kings Dominion again sometime soon, I`m just not sure when.

In

of Kings Dominion's Drop Zone, there's approximately 58 seconds between the lift mechanism engaging the gondola and the ride hitting the "brake run."

In

of Kings Island's Drop Zone, there's approximately 1 minute, 46 seconds between the lift mechanism engaging the gondola, and the ride hitting the break run.

In other words, Kings Dominion's theoretically completes two ride cycles (not taking into consideration loading / unloading, safety checks, etc) in 1:56 seconds. Basically, Kings Dominion's can go through the cycle twice for each time Kings Island's can. Add that to the already stated larger capacity of Kings Dominion's, and voila - a near walk-on. Again, some prefer the rotation on the way up, and the built-up anticipation of inching your way to the top.

Also, Kings Dominion's was made four years later, and for some reason, it was decided that the revolution on the way wasn't worth the severely decreased throughput. Kings Dominion's is like a one-two punch, and you're done. Kings Island's is more psychological. Again, everyone has their opinion. I like the revolving, but I can't always stand the 40 minute line just to experience it. I'd go without the revolution if it meant having to wait 5 minutes.

Also, Kings Dominion's was made four years later, and for some reason, it was decided that the revolution on the way wasn't worth the severely decreased throughput.

Do you own a jump to conclusions mat? Or do you just like pretending you know everything? What evidence is there to support that decreased capacity is the reason KD's Drop Tower doesn't spin? None, you're just generalizing or "jumping to conclusions" (see video reference linked above). I highly doubt the reason KI's stopped spinning is because of a concern over capacity. Ever since the ride opened, it goes through spells where the gondola doesn't spin. As SOB_TOM pointed out earlier, it occasionally has problems with the motor that causes the action.

I think the ride time is also shorter on the KD Drop Tower.

Something about the gravity in Virginia? (j/k)

I was also at the park yesterday. One thing is certain...throughput was not a problem yesterday. I noticed it going up with empty seats almost every time I looked at it. The two times I rode it was about half full.

Also, Kings Dominion's was made four years later, and for some reason, it was decided that the revolution on the way wasn't worth the severely decreased throughput.

Do you own a jump to conclusions mat? Or do you just like pretending you know everything? What evidence is there to support that decreased capacity is the reason KD's Drop Tower doesn't spin? None, you're just generalizing or "jumping to conclusions" (see video reference linked above). I highly doubt the reason KI's stopped spinning is because of a concern over capacity. Ever since the ride opened, it goes through spells where the gondola doesn't spin. As SOB_TOM pointed out earlier, it occasionally has problems with the motor that causes the action.

If I recall, there was one whole season previously where Drop Tower ( At that time Drop Zone ) didn't spin at all.

:lol:

Thanks Gordon, I needed a good laugh today.

I said, "for some reason." I went on to say that the spinning may be that reason. I have read the same discussion that you have, and know what others have said.

I absolutely 100% do not believe, nor did I ever hypothesize that Kings Island's has stopped its revolution because of capacity whatsoever. I only made direct references to the revolving and cycle time at Kings Dominion. Someone mentioned that Kings Dominion's cycle is faster; I proved it through videos. Yes, I did "assume" by bridging the gap between Kings Dominion's ride cycle being 200% faster than ours by noticing that the only difference between the two is the revolution. I know, I know, cause & effect, just because B happened after A doesn't mean A caused B, etc. But literally the only difference between them (aside from a few extra feet) are these two facts:

Kings Dominion's doesn't revolve on the way up.

Kings Dominion's is nearly a minute shorter.

Kings Island's revolves on the way up.

Kings Island's takes nearly twice as long to complete one cycle as Kings Dominion's.

Yep, it's an assumption. And we all know what those can do. But is it really that unbelievable?

Dont know what to say about Drop Tower, as every time I have ridden it this year it has spun around normally (one complete revolution). As for the belts, I am 6' 4" and the harness hits my shoulders. The belt has to stretch to the max length to fasten properly, so i think they could use some longer belt straps as well

Welcome to KIC!

Doesn't it always do this in the fall though?

I absolutely 100% do not believe, nor did I ever hypothesize that Kings Island's has stopped its revolution because of capacity whatsoever. I only made direct references to the revolving and cycle time at Kings Dominion. Someone mentioned that Kings Dominion's cycle is faster; I proved it through videos. Yes, I did "assume" by bridging the gap between Kings Dominion's ride cycle being 200% faster than ours by noticing that the only difference between the two is the revolution. I know, I know, cause & effect, just because B happened after A doesn't mean A caused B, etc. But literally the only difference between them (aside from a few extra feet) are these two facts:

jump%20to%20conclusions%20mat%202.jpg

Kings Dominion's doesn't revolve on the way up.

Kings Dominion's is nearly a minute shorter.

Kings Island's revolves on the way up.

Kings Island's takes nearly twice as long to complete one cycle as Kings Dominion's.

Kings Dominions is a newer and a different model. No one was arguing against that the cycle times were different, they in fact, are. However, arguing that their model doesn't spin simply because you believe it could worsen capacity and have no real working knowledge of how the ride is designed or operated, doesn't make it true.

Welcome to KIC!

Doesn't it always do this in the fall though?

Yes same here, I'm 6'1" and the harness comes down on my shoulders so I can not sit up right. It's like all the B&M coasters that have a OHSR I have plenty of room for my shoulders, and the same with both S&S rides, Powers Tower and Liberty Launch.

I am about 6' 3" and the restraints seems to fit snug around my shoulders but not enough to make it uncomfortable on me. I have also never experienced a ride on Drop Tower with it not spinning this year and I have done my fair share of riding on it. To me tough the spinning is almost pointless as by the time it gets done spinning you have not gained enough altitude to see really anything. I for one, do not care where I sit as I love Drop Tower regardless of the view or if she spins, I will always love her. Although, I am kind of fond of seats 39-3 as they give you the best view of Son of Beast and the back half of Coney Mall. Can anyone answer me this question though, has Drop Zone, as it was when it opened, ever spun the entire way up? Or has it just been a single spin and go.

I believe the ride used to spin around twice not just once.

My questions is what brings the car to the ground after it hits the brakes?

If I had to guess, the brakes slow the car down on the fall and then as the gondola gets to a certain the point, the brakes either weaken enough to slowly lower it or there is a computer of sort that releases the brakes just enough to lower it down to the stopped position.