Holiday World Coaster Poll

Coney Islander

This one was actually really tough for me. I was stuck between Raven and Voyage.

I just love Voyage an unhealthy amount, but my last few rides on it made me feel like my spine was being ripped out of my back. I can only ride it in the first few rows without having that feeling! But those first few rows are great!

Raven is just plain fun. This is the coaster that proves to me that you don't have to have a 150 ft.+ tall roller coaster to have a top ten roller coaster. It was also one of the first few wooden roller coasters I've ridden, giving it some sentimental value.

Good poll!

I voted for Voyage. Not even close for me. Raven is good CCI coaster that has one outstanding air time hills. Legend is one of my least favorite CCI adult coasters. (They built quite a few kiddie coasters.) Voyage is my second favorite wooden coaster for its intensity, lateral, and air time.

Voyge is a good (Err.....flippin incredible) ride to ride once or twice....but its so rough that once it twice is the limit. Legend, on the other hand, is a ride I could ride all, day, long. I adore that Woodie. Raven, too, is an excellent practice in every meaning of the word "fun."

Overall, they're all 3 epic.

The Raven gets my vote every singe day of the week. It's a ride I can ride again and again, I love the area it's in, I love the pacing, I love the airtime, and I love that it's jerky enough to be fun, but not rough enough to beat you to death.

The Legend is a fun ride, and the Helix is awesome. There's enough stand out moments to make it rank with the Raven, but I still prefer the Raven.

As for the Voyage, I understand why people love it, but it just isn't my type of coaster. Too rough, too intense, too long. When you combine so many good things you'll eventually get a null. Just my opinion.

All 3 are epic, but Voyage takes the win. My favorite part one that ride? MASS. EJECTOR. AIR. INTO. TUNNEL. (During the first few airtime hills). The triple-down in the dark is also great. But there are flaws- the 90* turns? They DOES NOTHING(for me anyway). And the last few turns are SUPER ROUGH. These flaws don't hurt the coaster enough, however, so it remains my #1...for now.

Legend comes a somewhat-close 2nd place. That coaster has a good heap of airtime, EXTREME laterals, a great helix, head-choppers, and encounters with other rides (the Zinga and ZOOMbabwe waterslides in this case). It seems it has everything I could possibly want from a wood coaster...and yet somehow I still perfer Voyage. Legend was #1 for about 20 minutes though (then I rode Voyage).

Last up is Raven. But in this case, even being in LAST PLACE for HW Woodies is STILL better than my #1 steel coaster, Diamondback (yeah, I'm a sucker for woodies...). Great airtime, good drops, a over-the-lake section and a race through the woods all in one coaster. If only it were longer...my one complaint is, the ride ends just as it's getting really good. Bummer. Raven also gets props for being "the most rideable" coaster at HW. Legend, I can take 10 or so laps, but it's just rough enough that after that I'd have to stop afterwords. I cannot see myself doing more than 3 back-to-back laps on Voyage without Timberliners. Raven? I can ride it over and over...

Voyage is definitely my favorite, but after Fall Affair, I really had to think about it. Legend was really, REALLY, giving me some seriously good riding during the nighttime ERT. I was very much considering waiting until they literally asked me to leave the ride to head to Voyage. The 2nd seat on Legend really isn't rough at all, and that mega-helix near the end of the ride is just incredible. Not to mention the airtime hill right after the turn-around at the end of the track. What a wonderful, wonderful ride.

I love Voyage and would rank it as my favorite coaster (for one or two rides), but would have to go with Raven for a ride-all-day coaster. Legend was good also, but not on par with either of the others in my opinion.

Favorite elements would be:

• Voyage: Airtime on the second drop, spaghetti bowl turnaround, triple down, station fly-by and ending (ok - so I know I described over the half the ride)
  • Raven: I forget what drop number it is, but the one after the left turn above the maintenance road.

I picked Voyage as my favorite of the 3 (it is my #1 woodie after all). Opening day (I only visit once a year, on opening day... but I'd go more if I could) the past two years have been a test of endurance for me, especially this year. The airtime, the 90 degree banking, the quick turns... I love it all. And it's fun to see just how many times I can take it. When I ride, I like to try to keep my upper body in the same position, while allowing my lower body to move with the coaster. While I'm riding, I think of a mogul skiier, how you only see their lower body twisting with the bumps. I use the same concept. Marathoning Voyage definitely wears me out... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Legend... hello laterals! From the howl at the top of the hill (which I just have to howl along with every time) to the interaction with the waterslides, to the strong laterals... another great ride.

Raven: I love this one too. My one problem with it is it's just too short, but I love the rushing through the woods and over the lake. For HW's first wooden coaster, its an excellent one.

All three rank in my top ten woodies. How many days until opening day? Too many!

Next time you guys go to HW, try row 2 on Legend. You still have to brace yourself at the bottom of the 2nd hill, because that section of track is just brutal no matter where you sit. But other than that, that seat is just pure fun. The lats are insane and you still get tossed around a bit, but not nearly as violently as other seats.

• 2 weeks later...

love all three, but my pic goes to raven. while it is short, it has the right amount of airtime & lats. the station is AMAZING, it has a tunnel, swoops over a lake & if your paying close attention to your ride, you'll notice there is a cliff section that is cleverly disguised on a turn. what more could you ask for?!cool.gif

love all three, but my pic goes to raven. while it is short, it has the right amount of airtime & lats. the station is AMAZING, it has a tunnel, swoops over a lake & if your paying close attention to your ride, you'll notice there is a cliff section that is cleverly disguised on a turn. what more could you ask for?!cool.gif

More length.

Sorry, I just had to... :P

Raven's a wonderful coaster, and if were longer it may have swapped spots with Legend on my HW coaster ranking.

Raven is fun. I love the intensity, the crazy turns, and the sharp drops. My favorite seat is the very back.

Legend is great. I love the laterals, the seemingly neverending tunnels, and its relentless speed. My favorite seat is the very back, left side.

Voyage: HOLY ****.

I went with Voyage. I'm one of the crazies who will more than gladly power lap Voyage all day if given the chance (or the dare, lol).

As much as I love Raven and Legend, Voyage just.. wow. I never fail to scream "YES!!" at the top of my lungs with one fist in the air after every single ride, no matter what seat I'm in. I lapped Voyage 24 times in less than 3 hours on Saturday night at HoliWood Nights, and I STILL wanted more!

More length.

Sorry, I just had to... :P

Raven's a wonderful coaster, and if were longer it may have swapped spots with Legend on my HW coaster ranking.

that is why i included this silly

After this weekend, I've decided that I like Raven more than Legend, and Voyage more than both combined.

Legend has one air hill that I noticed. It may be because I'm an airtime fan, but after a while it's like, ow I have PTC train imprints (or seat divider imprints) in my left side.. yep, we're still being thrown to the left.. ow.. more being violently thrown to the left.. ow.. more being thrown to the left, seriously ow. It just seems a bit repetitive to me. It's a great coaster, but just not one I can power lap for long without clutching my left hip in pain, especially if I'm riding on the right side. Those seat dividers are brutal.

Raven may be short, but like Jared said, it has the right amount of lats and air. It's a terrific coaster. Those sharp drops are amazing. IMO, it is basically HW's starter coaster as a prelude to what is coming.

Voyage has exactly what I want: nonstop speed, ejector and floater air, lats, tunnels, positive Gs, craziness. Voyage has it all, and that is what appeals to me. I like a coaster that drops me into a tunnel, throws me to the side and ejects me over an airtime hill all while going at a relentless and continuous speed, and even better if it picks up speed while it goes through several different elements. Voyage does hurt me a little, but it doesn't constantly slam me into the same spot over and over again like Legend does, which is why I don't come off in pain.

I just went for the first time on closing day.. I loved all three of the rides but The Legend absolutely blew me away... It is everything to me a wood coaster should be. It has good speed isn't too short and the lats pack a punch. Also, not to mention the tunnels and the pops of air mixed with just a slight roughness. Love it

Raven was great but was rather short I didn't want it to stop

Voyage was almost too mind blowing... a great awesome ride, but it just got outshined