Psychology students use 'exposure therapy' to conquer coaster-phobia

Interesting article. I especially was intrigued by the student who hated coasters going back to the time when her parents deceived her into thinking Space Mountain was another ride. I have always thought parents should be honest with their children about thrill rides such as showing them what the ride does and letting them decide whether or not to ride.

Also, the article doesn't address the fact that many people don't ride thrill rides not just because of fright but for health reasons. Many people simply get very ill from the effects of thrill rides. Simply put, thrill rides are not for everyone nor were they meant to be.

This comment made me laugh so hard I started crying:

and why is this a phobia you need to conquer??? These death traps are decades years old, operated by hung over college kids. Um, yeah I fear death... I enjoy life too much, call me crazy then!

Obviously just a troll. I can see how people are afraid of roller coasters, but to consider them death traps, and "yeah I fear death"...well that's just too far.

About the article now. I find it weird that people have to have physical therapy to ride a roller coaster. Eventually in your life you're going to ride one. My mom's first roller coaster was when she was 16. That's no crime. I partly agree with the comment above (besides the death trap part....), because it is definitley not a phobia you need to conquer. Make your own decisions in life, and don't let people pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do.

Thank you. :)

Good point. And I don't mean to infer by my post that coasters aren't mechanically sound. I feel a lot safer on a coaster than I do driving my car to and from the amusement park. ( Especially around KI-have you seen the nuts driving along KI Drive?) I mean to say that it may be unsafe if you have some kind of pre-existing health condition that would be aggravated by riding.