New theme/additions to Festhaus

Guest PizzaBaby027

Guest PizzaBaby027

Did any notice that the festhaus now has flags representing many country's and the poles are now designed to theme a cave?? I really like the new theme, I sure do hope they keep it!

Guest TombraiderTy

August 2009

img9500j.jpg

October 2010

img3236a.jpg

The flags and shields look great, but I wouldn't mind also seeing the clock fixed (it's been 6:12 for some time now...) and the animated characters returned (or, at the very least, closing the right door so it's not half-open all the time).

I think what they really need is just a good German restaurant in the Festhaus so it is actually a Festhaus, sauerkraut, sausages, spatzle, fresh Deli selections, delicious pastries (Black Forest cake) potato pancakes, German Potato salad, just some really good German food. I also think that you could have this along with the pizza, and Asian food and it would fit in with the International street.

Picture if Festhaus was like Hofbräuhaus in Newport, KY. A fun exciting german themed environment. With a live polka band, people cheering, and having fun. They serve german food and beer there, and it is pretty packed all the time. If they do Americanized German food, then it would sell well.

Imagine Festhaus if it was even comparable to Busch Garden's Festhaus, which features live German-themed dancing shows on the inside, a giant Cuckoo Clock on the outside that comes to life with live actors every hour, authentic German food within (as was mentioned, more than just sauerkraut), and German decorations throughout. It is possible in a theme park environment.

Picture if Festhaus was like Hofbräuhaus in Newport, KY. A fun exciting german themed environment. With a live polka band, people cheering, and having fun. They serve german food and beer there, and it is pretty packed all the time. If they do Americanized German food, then it would sell well.

We ate there last Sunday for my dad's birthday! OMG that place has some delicious food!

I LOVE authentic German food as I am part German so I would love to have a German restaurant in Festhaus. To have a building called the Festhaus then not have any German food in it just doesn't make sense.

I would also like to see some german food. Like others have said it just makes sense.

All I know is that if the food quality at Kings Island was better then Cedar Fair would have made a lot more money off of me this season (as first time passholders). Better quality food at the other resterants, authentic German food at the Festhaus, and cheaper prices with better portions would make a day at Kings Island an awfully lot more complete.

Besides no German food, they don't have German atmosphere. During the summer they play country music on the TVs. Does that make any sense? Either change the theme completley or make it German like it ought to be.

It makes sense when the featured show is called "Down Home Country." Just like now, when between HPB shows they show old horror movie clips. The German theme is outdated but if they spent money on renovating the building into something more modern people would complain that they're not spending enough money on new rides.

I seriously doubt that we will ever see german cuisine in the Festhaus ever again. Im actually quite surprised that shows have resumed in the Festhaus in recent years. During the Paramount years it was thought (by those who ran the food department at the time) that shows in the building negatively impacted the food sales. I havent worked there in years, so I cannot speak to how the sales changed with the addition of the shows. But I can say that in terms of sales, Festhaus does light years beyond any other food stand. From a business point of view, messing with that revenue stream would seem very risky to me.

I see it more likely that building is re-themed, but given the new flags out front it seems that the confusing themeing will continue.

Especially in a place like Cincinnati....there's a reason it was there...

With how successful Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is and places like Hofbrahaus across the river are, you'd think they'd utilize that building for something similar. I'm not saying we need anymore drunk people running around the park, but I've been to both places as a DD plenty of times and had a blast. While the KI entertainers are very talented, imagine a real German band in there playing songs that involve the crowd instead of Rascal Flatt's re-hashes.

Especially in a place like Cincinnati....there's a reason it was there...

With how successful Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is and places like Hofbrahaus across the river are, you'd think they'd utilize that building for something similar. I'm not saying we need anymore drunk people running around the park, but I've been to both places as a DD plenty of times and had a blast. While the KI entertainers are very talented, imagine a real German band in there playing songs that involve the crowd instead of Rascal Flatt's re-hashes.

Wouldn't work. People wouldn't go in there just for that. My opinion is that most people accidentally see the shows because they're eating; with mouthfuls of food they aren't going to sing along. If they want to do that, they'll go to the places you mentioned.

Don't you be messing with my Festhaus shows, Gordon Bombay! :-)

Wouldn't work. People wouldn't go in there just for that.

People go to Octoberfest's in communities all across the area all the time just for that and I used to go into the Kings Island Festhaus back in the old days for that. Offer some unique food instead of KI's usual deep fried fare, unique beers and a fun, interactive show that isn't teenagers lip synching over a country track (the same show you can see all over the park, but with a different theme and songs) and you might have a winner.

Don't you be messing with my Festhaus shows, Gordon Bombay! :-)

Ha. Don't get me wrong, I think its great they have entertainment in there once again and have had it the past few seasons. I just think if the park insists on calling it a German name and continues to decorate it in such a fashion, they should actually go all out.

People go to Octoberfest's in communities all across the area all the time just for that and I used to go into the Kings Island Festhaus back in the old days for that. Offer some unique food instead of KI's usual deep fried fare, unique beers and a fun, interactive show that isn't teenagers lip synching over a country track (the same show you can see all over the park, but with a different theme and songs) and you might have a winner.

Lip synching? Really? Come on . . . some of these kids are amazing singer and dancers. And while they don't need me to defend them, I will go rabid if you start to needlessly insult the entertainment department especially when you do so with flat out lies. No one is lip synching anything.

And let me rephrase.. *I* wouldn't go in any restaurant at Kings Island for "authentic German food." The demographic for the park is NOT the same as it was 25 years ago and that translates into food choices as well. Besides I like my deep fried foods and pizza just fine.

Busch Gardens VA and Busch Gardens Tampa involve diners in the shows.

Busch Gardens Tampa is currently running "Dance To The Music" in the Dessert Grill formerly known as Das Festhaus. People get there early enough to get their food, and eat while they watch the show. That is the entire point of the building in the first place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SsiCl-sSM

I have not seen the entire show at BGW, but I came in when the dancers were gathering audience members to do the chicken dance. People would go up and dance, then resume eating.

Lip synching? Really? Come on . . . some of these kids are amazing singer and dancers. And while they don't need me to defend them, I will go rabid if you start to needlessly insult the entertainment department especially when you do so with flat out lies. No one is lip synching anything.

And let me rephrase.. *I* wouldn't go in any restaurant at Kings Island for "authentic German food." The demographic for the park is NOT the same as it was 25 years ago and that translates into food choices as well. Besides I like my deep fried foods and pizza just fine.

With all due respect, it seems to me someone is lip synching something.

You.

The park's Live-E party line.

Gordon Bombay and King Maple The Tree King both have points...

And how can you possibly say a German theme in the Fest House is "outdated" as you did earlier?

Do you also think Colonial Williamsburg is outdated? Constitution Hall? The Statue of Liberty? And oh, by the way, the Eiffel Tower---both in Paris and Mason/Doswell--there are newer versions in, say, Vegas--Modernize or get rid of them all, they are outdated?

Sigh.

With all due respect, it seems to me someone is lip synching something.

Do you know what lip synching means? I have watched these shows countless times and I can assure you that the performers are singing live, not recorded, at each show. Unless, of course, you are talking about the Peanuts productions in the Planet Snoopy area.

Do you also think Colonial Williamsburg is outdated? Constitution Hall? The Statue of Liberty? And oh, by the way, the Eiffel Tower---both in Paris and Mason/Doswell--there are newer versions in, say, Vegas--Modernize or get rid of them all, they are outdated?

Sigh.

Sigh back at you, and I can do mine with an even more condescending tone than you! Take that!

I think that in this time, given the atmosphere of the rest of the park, the kind of crowds that it draws, and the minimal amount of German-theming left in Oktoberfest, that yes, it is outdated and time for something else. Those things you mentioned are not the same nor are they outdated because they represent something that still lives on. I understand the German heritage of Cincinnati is important, but I don't think 95% of the park's guests understand why its there and don't really care.

For completeness' sake, while the singers do in fact sing live throughout the performances, there are certain instances where background tracks with pre-recorded voices are used, over which the live performers will sing. This is, at least to some extent, lip synching, although in my opinion, completely understandable given the fact that performers must dance and/or change costumes throughout the shows.

For completeness' sake, while the singers do in fact sing live throughout the performances, there are certain instances where background tracks with pre-recorded voices are used, over which the live performers will sing. This is, at least to some extent, lip synching, although in my opinion, completely understandable given the fact that performers must dance and/or change costumes throughout the shows.

No that is NOT lip synching. Singing OVER pre-recorded background vocals is not the same as not lip synching which means that they are mouthing words to a pre-recorded track.

I don't understand why we're fighting over shows. If were going to fight over something, fight over something important, like guest service. I'm not saying show's are unimportant, ( I've been in some shows myself ) I love the shows. I'm not a thrill seeker. The shows are what I go to in the park when I'm bored.

Also, who cares if there lip-syncing? They're dance moves are hard enough, and besides, it's a seasonal theme park show. You're not gonna see broadway style performances! Sure, maybe they didn't lip sync back when it was Paramount, or even before then, but that was then, this is now.

Can't we just get back to the theming on the Festhaus? ( Which, from my perspective, is a nice change.)

Note: Please don't post that if i'm saying don't fight over the shows, then why I am fighting over the lip-syncing? That can be pretty annoying. ( That includes you terpy. )