savethebigdipper.org

I never said he was right in "laughing" or parodying the other website, i said he was a jerk

Quote from 'Gordon Bombay' in TPR - Geauga Lake Thread (emphasis added)

"Hi. I'm new here. Let me explain why I registered.

The .org website came across on my facebook newsfeed from some friends who "liked" it. I went to it. Read the updates. Saw the reports of the ".com" website scam and read about the audacity and gaul of TPR. Went to the .com website...

...absolutely lost it when I clicked the about page and the midi version of "everybody dance now" came on. I'm not kidding, absolutely burst out laughing, plus the dancing cats were a nice touch.

I just wanted it to be known how much I enjoyed coming across it. SAVE T3H D1PP3R!"

Now, maybe someone else from Cincinnati registered under your KIC screen name and posted this (if so, I'll apologize in advance), but to me this shows support for his activities, not critique of him being a jerk. If I was Kat, I'd be disappointed in my friend for signing up and posting this.

That said, I'll defend your right to find the parody site funny - personally I didn't. I also don't buy the current "we actually helped" postings by Wes and Robb - that was never their intent, so they shouldn't start acting righteous now. What I think is truly sad, though, is that coaster/theme park enthusiasts who loudly and often proclaim themselves as having "industry expertise" couldn't find a better way to provide help and assist people who they claimed were "in over their heads". Kat and her partner may well be in over their heads (I'm not an expert, but it seems like a daunting challenge to say the least). If you aren't really trying to help, do nothing.

I hope that there are others with expertise who are stepping up to the plate to help in a productive fashion to make this project a success.

I never said he was right in "laughing" or parodying the other website, i said he was a jerk

The .org website came across on my facebook newsfeed from some friends who "liked" it. I went to it. Read the updates. Saw the reports of the ".com" website scam and read about the audacity and gaul of TPR. Went to the .com website...

...absolutely lost it when I clicked the about page and the midi version of "everybody dance now" came on. I'm not kidding, absolutely burst out laughing, plus the dancing cats were a nice touch.

I just wanted it to be known how much I enjoyed coming across it. SAVE T3H D1PP3R!"

Now, maybe someone else from Cincinnati registered under your KIC screen name and posted this (if so, I'll apologize in advance), but to me this shows support for his activities, not critique of him being a jerk. If I was Kat, I'd be disappointed in my friend for signing up and posting this.

That said, I'll defend your right to find the parody site funny - personally I didn't. I also don't buy the current "we actually helped" postings by Wes and Robb - that was never their intent, so they shouldn't start acting righteous now. What I think is truly sad, though, is that coaster/theme park enthusiasts who loudly and often proclaim themselves as having "industry expertise" couldn't find a better way to provide help and assist people who they claimed were "in over their heads". Kat and her partner may well be in over their heads (I'm not an expert, but it seems like a daunting challenge to say the least). If you aren't really trying to help, do nothing.

I hope that there are others with expertise who are stepping up to the plate to help in a productive fashion to make this project a success.

^Nope its me, and like I said on here and there... I'll say it again, I thought it was funny. Now, I agree with you... I don't buy Rob's thing either about how it "helped," that's horse raddish, but Wes did sum it all up nicely in this post:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56619&start=2020#p949828

Personally I think its funny, especially the "everybody dance now" page (the comments people left on the .org site got too ridiculous). It was a joke, but its not as dramatic or awful as everyone makes it out to be. Certainly not worth calling Alvey a "horrible human being" who if he was dieing wasn't even worth being "spit" on, is a little extreme. This parody was no worse than any kind of parody found on Saturday Night Live or a nightly talk show.

Has it been publicly stated how much the big dipper was sold for this time and who financed it?

Additionally would it be fair to say this project is essentially just a fundraiser at this point? The website leaves more questions to be answered than it actually answers unfortunately. I'd be eager to know how much money would be needed before work could be begin - or perhaps how the $300,000 dollars is be allocated around the whole project. As soon as a more detailed plan of action is available I'd be much more willing to donate, but I think that goes for a lot of people - especially outside of the 'enthusiast community'... I may be wrong but, people want to know what their money is going. I have little doubt though the website will grow with more information as time progresses but I can't imagine the new owners want nature to do anymore damage than it already has.

I wish them both all the luck in the world getting the project off the ground, but to me, in my humble opinion, this seems like one massive undertaking - especially when fifty percent of your staff lives on another continent. I hope some generous people with experience who are local to the project are able to lend a helping hand because it's clear their hearts are in the right place... now it just needs to materialize. Hopefully Santa is good to them this Christmas...

(btw - are they a 501 c3??)

With regards to the parody website... I have to agree with Bombay... I read it and knew it was instantly a joke, and admittedly I chuckled while reading it. Did I think it was kind of a silly joke? Yes, and though I don't know Mr Alvey I can't imagine he would be malicious enough to sabotage a project like this. It would be different if he was actually taking money away from the project in a fraudulent manner. It was a joke, some thought it was funny, some thought it went over like a lead balloon - be that as it may he obviously understood there were some people who didn't find it humorous, and were offended by it and rather than pretending that it didn't exist - he did make a post to explain where he was coming from and try to create some peace.

So in any event - I hope good luck comes to this project as I wouldn't mind taking a spin on the Geauga Lake Kidney Crusher... Big Dipper

Have a good weekend everyone!

The .com site was a jacka$$ move, but, there is a sound reason to why it was done.

That said, take a step back and honestly ask yourself: "Why would someone take the time and effort to make a joke out of a legitimate fund raiser?"

The .org site comes off as a scam itself, and if there were not people on KIC that knew the person leading the charge, I would argue that it is a scam just for how the site is presented.

There have been rallies for BD. Articles for BD. Organizations have tried, years ago, to do the same thing with no success. While I applaud the creator(s) of the .org site for their motive, their effort falls way short of people & events that took place sometime ago. Why were those that feel the same way about BD not contacted? They obviously know more people that are willing to spend time and money for the cause.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=81336

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09113/964731-54.stm

I look at it this way: If I am going to a job interview, I'm going in shirt, tie, dress shoes etc., as well as, overly prepared with knowledge for both the interview & the company being interviwed for.

To be taken serious, you need to look serious. If you look like a joke, you will be treated as such.

I know Kat personally. A lot of you do too.

If you really knew Kat, AT ALL, you would not question the validity of her intentions for one second. This hurts me to see some of you turn your back on her and say some of the things you are saying, when she sees many of you as friends. If she only knew.. but then again, none of the adolescent garbage on this site surprises me anymore.

If you disagree with what she's doing, at least be kind about your personal opinion instead of posting for the sake of argument. Don't stoop to Robb's low level. If you want to criticize her website, how about offering her some help like an adult instead of going behind her back and posting it on here?

That is all.

• Like 1

^Nope its me, and like I said on here and there... I'll say it again, I thought it was funny. Now, I agree with you... I don't buy Rob's thing either about how it "helped," that's horse raddish, but Wes did sum it all up nicely in this post:

http://themeparkrevi...rt=2020#p949828

Personally I think its funny, especially the "everybody dance now" page (the comments people left on the .org site got too ridiculous). It was a joke, but its not as dramatic or awful as everyone makes it out to be. Certainly not worth calling Alvey a "horrible human being" who if he was dieing wasn't even worth being "spit" on, is a little extreme. This parody was no worse than any kind of parody found on Saturday Night Live or a nightly talk show.

I'm disappointed in you. I find nothing funny about this at all, I view him the same as that joker that tried to promote his book at the Mason admissions tax meeting-a complete horses a$s. That's the problem with the internet-they're just words and you don't really know someone's intent. As much energy as they spent creating that piece of a site, they could have channeled that energy into helping. Wes and Robb are losers in my book.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed in you. I find nothing funny about this at all, I view him the same as that joker that tried to promote his book at the Mason admissions tax meeting-a complete horses a$s. That's the problem with the internet-they're just words and you don't really know someone's intent. As much energy as they spent creating that piece of a site, they could have channeled that energy into helping. Wes and Robb are losers in my book.

Added for emphasis.

So you are disappointed in someone for having an opinion, especially after said person gave logical reasons for their opinion?

I see many references in your post for how you feel. Should the same disappointment be felt by those who don't agree with you?

BTW, the energy spent creating that joke site was minimal.

-Browntggrr.

(who is not trying to start a flame war, but doesn't drink the kool-aid either)

^Glad some other folks here get it.

I know Kat personally. A lot of you do too.

If you really knew Kat, AT ALL, you would not question the validity of her intentions for one second.

I know Kat as well and spoke with her last night. No one here questioned the validity of her intentions and if you read through the TPR posts, no one there was either...they were making fun of how the project was presented as Brown pointed out. And as ErosArrow pointed out, it might help if they were a registered 501 c3. Legitimate criticisms.

This hurts me to see some of you turn your back on her and say some of the things you are saying, when she sees many of you as friends. If she only knew...

I'm not sure who you are accusing of talking behind her back, but she can clearly read the site, not like any of this is secret.

but then again, none of the adolescent garbage on this site surprises me anymore.

Plenty of other forums out there.

As Brown pointed out, hardly any time and energy went into creating their parody site, which was the point. The Mason Admission Tax book guy tries to make money off of blatant lies and fear mongering, Rob Alvey made a parody website. I don't really find the two comparable.

One point to remember is that it has been exactly 1 week since the purchase and only a bit longer since they even thought about the project.

In such a short amount of time quite a bit has actually happened.

I feel that the .com site has done quite a bit of damage if only for the fact that it has been a distraction from the real issues of this project.

One point to remember is that it has been exactly 1 week since the purchase and only a bit longer since they even thought about the project.

In such a short amount of time quite a bit has actually happened.

I feel that the .com site has done quite a bit of damage if only for the fact that it has been a distraction from the real issues of this project.

That was my thoughts Dave. It seems to me Kats first objective was to save the coaster from demo. Second, create a way to raise funds to start the move of the coaster with the site. Now she can start working on what should have been suggestions not criticisms that have been made.

This is going to be a learning experience for all involved, it is not like enthusiasts move coasters all the time. Good luck Kat!

Added for emphasis.

So you are disappointed in someone for having an opinion, especially after said person gave logical reasons for their opinion?

I see many references in your post for how you feel. Should the same disappointment be felt by those who don't agree with you?

BTW, the energy spent creating that joke site was minimal.

-Browntggrr.

(who is not trying to start a flame war, but doesn't drink the kool-aid either)

I see nothing wrong with anyone having an opinion, just some on here can be abrasive. Like I said before, a lot of things can be taken wrong when they are just words, on a forum. The only kool-aid I drink is tropical punch. Don't mess with a menopausal woman-we go from zero to bltch in the blink of an eye

Don't mess with a menopausal woman-we go from zero to bltch in the blink of an eye

Is this an example of: what should not be taken wrong when they are just words on a forum, being abrasive, or are you actually being serious leaving the disappointment in your lack of control and then using menopause as a scapegoat?