Fast Pass System at KI?

RD Reynolds

I've been to Disney over 25 times since 2004. I frequent Disney message boards daily. There is MUCH talk of unfairness and negativity towards Fast Pass... go to WDWMagic.com and search for FastPass and be ready to wade through the barrage of negative comments about the process. Also, there have been serious issues with counterfeit FPs and people were selling them on Ebay at one point.

Clearly you are an expert because you read the internet message boards.

Well actually it seems to me that he was just pointing out what other people have said. He wasn't agreeing with them.

^And this post from him isn't agreeing with them?

In theory, FastPass is brilliant. Unfortunately at Disney the ride operators and/or management do not understand that for it to work properly, it must be used properly. Let me explain.

They have calculated the number of FastPasses that can be distributed at what time frame as to disrupt the standby line flow of traffic as little as possible. This works great if the deadline to use the FastPass is enforced. It never is. So what happens is that people get a FP, don't use it during the hour long window they are supposed to, and then return whenever they want. This nullifies the formula that FP uses and then creates terribly long waits for the standby line.

I've been to Disney over 25 times since 2004. I frequent Disney message boards daily. There is MUCH talk of unfairness and negativity towards Fast Pass... go to WDWMagic.com and search for FastPass and be ready to wade through the barrage of negative comments about the process. Also, there have been serious issues with counterfeit FPs and people were selling them on Ebay at one point.

Clearly you are an expert because you read the internet message boards.

Well actually it seems to me that he was just pointing out what other people have said. He wasn't agreeing with them.

If you quote just that portion of my post, sure it sounds like maybe he didn't agree with them. However if you had quoted my whole post and not taken a portion out of context it would have been clear that he agreed with them when he said this:

In theory, FastPass is brilliant. Unfortunately at Disney the ride operators and/or management do not understand that for it to work properly, it must be used properly. Let me explain.

They have calculated the number of FastPasses that can be distributed at what time frame as to disrupt the standby line flow of traffic as little as possible. This works great if the deadline to use the FastPass is enforced. It never is. So what happens is that people get a FP, don't use it during the hour long window they are supposed to, and then return whenever they want. This nullifies the formula that FP uses and then creates terribly long waits for the standby line.

If it's not the internet, I'd like to know where he gets his expertise on the subject, particularly concerning the "formula that FP uses."

Sheesh, calm down people. I'm 11 years old if you've forgotten.

If you're going to continually use your age as an excuse, perhaps you shouldn't be posting here. Do you want me to quote the Terms of Service again?

Children under the age of 13 may NOT register on the KICentral.com forums or post comments in any KICentral.com photo gallery.

Nobody is going to care about your age unless you keep bringing it up.

Sheesh, calm down people. I'm 11 years old if you've forgotten.

If you're going to continually use your age as an excuse, perhaps you shouldn't be posting here. Do you want me to quote the Terms of Service again?

Children under the age of 13 may NOT register on the KICentral.com forums or post comments in any KICentral.com photo gallery.

Nobody cares about your age unless you keep bringing it up.

I didn't read that post in that forum until after I posted this. Calm down.

That seem's like a good idea. It'd help cut down on the line jumping.

People cut in line because they feel somehow "entitled to do so". Fast Pass is not going to change their personality. To say that Fast Pass will cut down on line cutting just seems to make an excuse for line cutters' actions.

I only bring up the TOS because you keep pointing out your age.

Age aside, there is a certain maturity level required for these boards. If you believe that using your age as an excuse is going to make certain actions permissible, then you should not be posting here.

Good day.

Disney World does Fast Pass the best in the industry. Six Flags makes a horrendous charge for their system, and its not that great. Kings Island and Cedar Point both tried versions

of it in the past, and they weren't that good either. Cedar Point you had to wait in line to get your hand stamped, and you could only get 2 a day, one for each hand. Like on

Dragster, it opened up at 2pm for that, and if you were there at that time, you had to wait about 45 minutes just for the stamp. So, you've already lost a lot of time there. It

wasn't very efficient. The system Kings Island had was only on certain days, and usually on days it wasnt crowded in the first place. They did go to a walk on weekends, but you

only got 3 tickets and certain times, and they didn't always jive to work at the times you wanted to ride. The system at Disney, it's NOT an upcharge, and it works out so you

can get one about every hour if they're available. Then what you do is get a fast pass for a certain ride, and you can go ride the ride next to it and when you come out, you go

straight to the ride you have the pass for, so in a sense, you've waited in line for one ride, but got 2 rides out of it. They have it organized to be very efficient.

People cut in line because they feel somehow "entitled to do so". Fast Pass is not going to change their personality. To say that Fast Pass will cut down on line cutting just seems to make an excuse for line cutters' actions.

I just think it would help cut down on line cutting because line cutters would (hopefully) use the fast pass system instead of line cutting.

Also, it sort've sounds to me like you're saying that I support line cutters because I said what you think is "an excuse for line cutter actions".

I only bring up the TOS because you keep pointing out your age.

Age aside, there is a certain maturity level required for these boards. If you believe that using your age as an excuse is going to make certain actions permissible, then you should not be posting here.

Good day.

Okay, I guess that makes a little bit of sense except for the "bringing up the maturity level" part.. Since when have I acting been acting like a little kid? I've just been posting my thoughts. That is what a forum is for.

I never meant to infer you supported line cutters-sorry if I gave that impression, Muppetfan. I meant to say that nothing short of holding line cutters personally accountable for their actions will decrease line cutting. To me, line cutters are nothing short of bullies and the fast pass will not change their bullying behavior. Again, meant nothing personal against you. Like Terpy, I agree that you are full of great ideas in your posts.

Disney World does Fast Pass the best in the industry. Six Flags makes a horrendous charge for their system, and its not that great. Kings Island and Cedar Point both tried versions

of it in the past, and they weren't that good either. Cedar Point you had to wait in line to get your hand stamped, and you could only get 2 a day, one for each hand. Like on

Dragster, it opened up at 2pm for that, and if you were there at that time, you had to wait about 45 minutes just for the stamp. So, you've already lost a lot of time there. It

wasn't very efficient. The system Kings Island had was only on certain days, and usually on days it wasnt crowded in the first place. They did go to a walk on weekends, but you

only got 3 tickets and certain times, and they didn't always jive to work at the times you wanted to ride. The system at Disney, it's NOT an upcharge, and it works out so you

can get one about every hour if they're available. Then what you do is get a fast pass for a certain ride, and you can go ride the ride next to it and when you come out, you go

straight to the ride you have the pass for, so in a sense, you've waited in line for one ride, but got 2 rides out of it. They have it organized to be very efficient.

Exactly my point. So again I ask...other than some additional cost to the park (that will again, make guests HAPPIER), where are the negatives to this? Sure, the lines aren't as long at KI as they are at Disney (to be fair, though, earlier this summer I waited over an hour for Firehawk), but even if they shave 20 minutes off a wait, wouldn't we all like that? Isn't that the reason we go on 'non-busy' days in the first place?

RD

I've read this thread all day and while I might have spoken with stronger wording than was appropriate earlier about some of the details, the truth is IN MY EXPERIENCE FastPass is not always a good thing. I've waited in line for Splash Mountain for almost an hour for instance while the ride operators continually allowed too many people into from the FP line instead of using the correct ratio of standby riders to FP riders. There are other times when I've used FP and enjoyed the convenience it offers. I'm not opposed to FP at WDW. I am opposed to it at KI because we simply do not need it. It will only make standby lines longer.

I agree with Kirk here. Kings Island, Cedar Point and parks like that do NOT need a fast pass system. There are many days at both that you can walk on the rides with less than a 5 minute

wait. Even on Diamondback or Raptor. Both parks proved in the past that a system like that does NOT work well. Disney World is a worldwide destination park that is open year round. They

get way more guests on a daily basis throughout the year, and they've perfected the system to work for them. Once upon a time, Universal Studios had the best system, but then they

changed it to something where you can only get that if you're a resort guest, and its not readily available to GP, as it is at Disney. I wish they would have kept that old system. It was

wonderful!

Simple answer:

KI doesn't need a Fast Pass system.

Why?

Adventure Express: 1600 Riders per hour

BSC: 750 Riders per hour

Beast: 1200-1300 Riders per hour

Diamond back: 1620 Riders per hour

Firehawk: 1200 Riders per hour

Flight Deck: 1200 Riders per hour

FOF: 2,000 Riders per hour

FAAC: 650 Riders per hour

Invertigo: 850 Riders per hour

Racer(s): 2640 Riders per hour

Vortex: 1600 RIders per hour

:blink: ......... :blink:

I agree with Kirk here. Kings Island, Cedar Point and parks like that do NOT need a fast pass system. There are many days at both that you can walk on the rides with less than a 5 minute

wait. Even on Diamondback or Raptor. Both parks proved in the past that a system like that does NOT work well. Disney World is a worldwide destination park that is open year round. They

get way more guests on a daily basis throughout the year, and they've perfected the system to work for them. Once upon a time, Universal Studios had the best system, but then they

changed it to something where you can only get that if you're a resort guest, and its not readily available to GP, as it is at Disney. I wish they would have kept that old system. It was

wonderful!

Agreed, and there are days at Disney where you can walk on rides with 5 minute waits as well. But there are also days at both WDW and KI where guests are waiting over an hour for the rides. Think about it from a non-season pass holder perspective. Let's say, for instance, you went during a weekend day in the middle of summer. Lines are generally long then. Some folks don't have the option (or knowledge) to go on a non-busy day. Why not make it more enjoyable for them?

I guess I just don't understand why this would be a bad thing. It would cost a few more employees' wages. It would require some kiosks. And yes, it would require some planning to make sure that the system operates efficiently (which is probably the biggest risk of the entire proposition). These are all solvable problems, and the benefits would be great. Just the buzz of KI having a system that ensures you don't need to wait in line for an hour to ride Diamondback may sell a few more season passes.

And wouldn't that be the goal?

RD

Since there are tons of days were Kings Island is empty, it would just be a waste. The longest wait on a busy day is 45 minutes really not bad. And thats usually drop zone or dellerium. Also, Disney world theres only 3-4 "rollercoasters" and they get like x3 visitors of Kings Island,

Simple answer:

KI doesn't need a Fast Pass system.

Why?

Adventure Express: 1600 Riders per hour

BSC: 750 Riders per hour

Beast: 1200-1300 Riders per hour

Diamond back: 1620 Riders per hour

Firehawk: 1200 Riders per hour

Flight Deck: 1200 Riders per hour

FOF: 2,000 Riders per hour

FAAC: 650 Riders per hour

Invertigo: 850 Riders per hour

Racer(s): 2640 Riders per hour

Vortex: 1600 RIders per hour

:blink: ......... :blink:

I think Rider was the only one who got my joke :lol:

Since there are tons of days were Kings Island is empty, it would just be a waste. The longest wait on a busy day is 45 minutes really not bad. And thats usually drop zone or dellerium. Also, Disney world theres only 3-4 "rollercoasters" and they get like x3 visitors of Kings Island,

The number of roller coasters hardly matters though. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin sees FAR more guests than any attraction at KI. The popularity of their rides is not dependent on their high thrills. The Magic Kingdom has 9 fastpass attractions.

With all due respect, I doubt that.

Tom (Tom76257) and I went to Six Flags Great America at the beginning of last month, and the line jumping at that park was unbelievable. We saw at least 3 line jumpers and sometimes as many as 7 or 8 in line for EVERY RIDE. It was ridiculous.

Even with Six implementing the Flash Pass, and several people using said pass, the regular lines at SFGAm were still prone to line jumpers. I'm not sure if we just went on a bad day, but it was disheartening and frustrating to watch.