Should KI and Cedar Fair Discontinue Halloween Haunt?

RaptorGuy

After careful thinking this through for quite some time now, and after how things went last night, Friday October 8th, 2010, I feel it's time for Kings Island and even

the entire Cedar Fair Company to give consideration to canceling Halloween Haunt events after this year! Kings Island has proven time and time again that they

absolutely do NOT know how to put on such an event in a way that makes it enjoying and entertaining! It's now come to the point that it's extremely irritating

and even unsafe to attend the Haunt.

First off, it draw's a crowd of unsavory elements to the park. They show up either high on drugs or drunk on alchohol. They smoke in lines to much higher extents

than regular times, and they cut in line, and when you say something, they want to fight you, and when you yell for security or the ride hosts, they REFUSE to do

anything about it. They blow you off with some lame comment like, "We can only do so much!". WHAT???? Are you kidding me???? "We can only do so much????"

Where's the security when we need them? Also, gangs of teenagers show up and hang in large groups and are in the way, all over the place, and they become

unruly, and no one does anything about it. Last night, people were walking through the park smoking cigs, and security walked right past them and said NOTHING!

What are they there for, to pick their nose? SAY SOMETHING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! DO YOUR JOB!

Second of all, the crap that happens at the front gate on Friday nights when the park first opens is utter chaos! That is VERY DANGEROUS and someone or

MANY are going to get hurt and hurt bad! The people playing monsters come running out there, as people are trying to get in, and get your face, and come up

behind you while you're trying to get through the security gates and get your wallet out to get your pass, and they get you side tracked. That is PURE NONSENSE!

Whoever came up with that act ought to be ashamed of themselves and FIRED! That needs to STOP THIS WEEKEND! All I want to do is get in and go ride my

coasters, like Diamondback! I don't need to be accosted by these scare actors wearing these godawful looking masks that I have NO interest in to begin with!

Then I get inside the front gate only to see SATAN himself on top of a scaffolding over the Royal Fountain. That in itself is WRONG on so many levels. What

is Kings Island doing, promoting HELL? Whats up with that?? Whoever came up with THAT act, also need to be FIRED. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

The event itself is VERY poorly done. It's so dark and the fake fog is so thick that you can't see half of where you're going! That is SO dangerous for people

who might be hard of seeing, wears prescription eye glasses, or just anyone in general. I don't have any problems with my eyes, but I have accidently run into

people, run into carts, and been run over by other people! THAT is DANGEROUS! Now, these things have happened several times in the last 3 years, some of them

did NOT happen on Friday night. There's NO reason on God's green earth why there should be so much fog, and have it be so dark.

The decorations throughout the park are really in poor taste. There's so many skeletons everywhere, it looks like BONEVILLE! The worst of it, is

all the coffins everywhere. That is extremely OFFENSIVE! What is so amusing about caskets where dead people get buried? That is hard for some of

us who have lost loved ones to deal with. Or some of us who have loved ones who may not be with us much longer. That is horrible for us! I don't need

that reminder everywhere I walk or every ride I get on! I don't like seeing them laying there.

Even though I really would LOVE to see Halloween Haunt completely canceled and go back to how it was in the 1990's, I would be willing to offer that they

tone the event WAY down. Just do maybe 3 or 4 haunted attractions, like Massacre Manor, Trail of Terror, Tombstone Junction, and bring back Elvira and

Fun House Express. That would be so much better. Get rid of all that garbage at the beginning. Stop doing those evil Satanic shows like whatever that

horrid thing is in the International Showplace with the bomb that goes off and scares everyone to death riding Diamondback or walking by. That should ALL

be canceled! Just put up some nice fall decorations, like pumpkins, corn stalks with orange and purple ribbons, some things like that. That would be just

fine for me. Still continue to do the thing for the little kids in the picnic area. That is innocent enough. That is what Halloween really is. Its NOT a holiday

that should celebrate Satan, Hell, and Death, the way Kings Island is portraying it with this Haunt crap! I just want to go to Kings Island and ride my

coasters and rides, and not have to deal with the haunted stuff. If they want to do it, like I said, do those ones, keep them where they are not in your face

and if you choose to not take part, you don't even have to know they're there!

Since I don't post hardly on here, and this my first real major one, I want to say that this is NOT a personal attack on anyone or even Kings Island

themselves. I am sure everyone has their opinions, and I respect them. I am just voicing mine on how I feel about Kings Island and ANY of the parks

really doing these kinds of evil Satanic Haunt events. I feel they are evil, unholy, and promote all that is wrong with our society right now. These parks

ARE Promoting evil by having events like this, and it needs to be STOPPED! Especially, when they do such a poor job at managing the crowds of

misenthropes that it draws!

I would love to see Halloween Haunt canceled and bring back Winterfest. Winterfest is a much nicer event. It's a happy event, and brings out

the best in people, NOT the worst like Haunt does. Its a much better money maker. Just ask Dolly Parton. Dollywood does NOT do any kind of

Halloween event, but they do a Christmas event, and do it well. They make a lot of money and people go there. There's no reason to think that

Kings Island would NOT have the same kind of return. So, hopefully, someone at Cedar Fair will get the message! CANCEL HAUNT!

I agree with many of your criticisms of Kings Island's Haunt event. I just don't see them canceling it though. It probably brings in a good amount of money for the park, it's one of the biggest halloween events in Cincinnati, and I have a feeling that the public's opinion of Kings Island would be for the worse if they decided to cancel Haunt. But, as you mentioned, bringing back Winterfest would, if done correctly, draw in large crowds and more than likely be a success.

Time and time again we talk about Winterfest. It will not come back under current management.

If you don't like the atmosphere during Halloween Haunt, simply don't visit during that time!

As for the crowds/security thing that you brought up. People show up to Haunt however they deem appropriate. Those security guards at the front gates with the scanners, will not allow someone in if they do not act appropriately. Not to mention people can buy alcohol at the park unless they are a complete mess and bothering a large quantity of guests or doing something inappropriate they won't be kicked out. As for smoking in lines, unless there is a security guard or a ride operator in line nothing will happen unless you have a large number of guests complaining. Often times when security is walking around the park, they're walking to deal with another incident and may be focused on something bigger than the smoking policy.

As for the things that happen at thr front gates, it's not that big of a deal. I have found it very entertaining as many other people do. I'm sorry if you're coming to the park just to ride Diamondback and you are hindered by Halloween Haunt. Perhaps you shouldn't come on a Haunt night. No one should be fired because you think that something shouldn't be the way it is. SATAN himself hu? Wow, I should have got an autograph!!! You know when I walk into the park on a Haunt night, I automatically think "Wow, this is what Hell is like!". Seriously? It's a display of the what is seen as Halloween. If you don't like it don't go! Then you state whoever came up with this idea should be fired.....so there's another thing you don't like, so whoever did that they should be fired. Well if that were the case for everything else, man I'd be getting everyone fired.

If the fog were dangerous, the park wouldn't do it. Since you've ran into people, carts, ran over by other people maybe you could walk around with a fan :). The park can't do anything about it being dark. Welcome to night time! I've found out that most people I talk to at the park and those who have visited, they love the fog.

As for the decorations, I believe they are in very good taste compared to some Halloween attractions away from Kings Island.

The reason Halloween Haunt is so popular is because of how it is, how many haunts there are. I seriously do not see where you get everything as Satanic. I'm a Christian and I do not see these things as Satanic. This is where you need to step aside from you're beliefs and realize that it is all for entertainment. If you weren't at the park during the beginning of the season, there was a show, I forget what it was, at International Show Place that had a constant boom, scared the bejezus out of me while working on Diamondback. I still have to say the park does not celebrate Satan, Hell and Death. Everything has been very tasteful. If you want to go to KI and just ride your coasters and rides go during a normal operating day. They won't scale it down due to its popularity and there's nothing wrong with it.

As for Winterfest, how about the people who get offended by the words "Merry Christmas" and what not? The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you dislike these events they're still going to happen no matter if you're offended or not. I believe that "evil, unholy, and all that is wrong with our society right now" is an unfair statement. Most of the people that I know that work at the park or visit the park at this time are Christian, less than evil, do good for society and try to live a good life.

Trust me I'd love for Winterfest to be back, but there's just no way. The economy wouldn't allow for it and neither would the weather. The reason that Dollywood does a Christmas event is because of the park itself and that it's in Tennessee. Tennessee weather provides for better winter events than Ohio weather does.

King's Island's Haunt has been an amazing experience for me, as a Christian I'm not offended by any of the displays, workings, interactions that I've had at Haunt. I've stepped aside from everything and realized that none of that stuff is real.

I forgot to ask Kinzel last night if Winterfest was comming back. O wait I know that answer..............NO. Darn and I passed by him twice last night. I wanted to tell him that his baby in Sandusky was making Lots of Nickels but Every Full timer was in Freak mode cuse He was there. Never in my life have I seen people afriad of there own Boss.

He was there Friday.

Guest rcfreak339

The ONLY thing I agree with your post is the fog, yes that does need to be turned way down. Other than that it simply seems like you don't like the Halloween celebration, many others however do. Simply do not go if you don't like it.

Wow! You have to be the most politically correct person on the internet. No offensive but you need really need to calm down. ANY Halloween Haunts will have drunk people. Also that could just be any place you go to. The Halloween Haunt is not meant for little kids. It's meant for people 15 and up. At any kind of haunt the actors will do anything to make you uncomfortable and scared out of your mind. That's the point. As for the satan stuff, it's not REAL! It's all fake and it's not promoting violence or satanism. It's meant to frighten you.

The ONLY thing I agree with your post is the fog, yes that does need to be turned way down. Other than that it simply seems like you don't like the Halloween celebration, many others however do. Simply do not go if you don't like it.

You should of been at Ceadr Point on Friday night PKIVortex was texting me for a bit he said it was so Foggy there was no wind comming off the lake he said it was bad.

Think, business- wise... Why would Cedar Fair want to discontinue Halloween Haunt? It brings in many people. They bring in more profit from Haunt nights than many days during the regular season.

On the other side, why would they want to bring back Winterfest? They tried that a few years ago and it was entirely unsuccessful.

RaptorGuy, I mean this in the best possible way. Almost every one of your allegations are entirely untrue. Kind of makes me wonder how much you'd enjoy The Haunted Mansion at Disney World...

couple of pieces.

Haunt is a overwhelmingly huge success from the admission gates. KI/Cedar Fair will "follow the money"- which means it probably won't go anywhere anytime soon.

That being said, a lot of the Haunt attractions are simply.... grotesque. I've said before- I can't imagine grown people sitting around a table and saying that some of these things are good ideas.

My wife and I went a couple weeks ago on a saturday night- actually we really had no interest in the haunt attractions. We were just without kids and wanted to be somewhere other than "kidland"- other than the standard red lights- we tuned the other stuff out never came across any of the characters during our 4-hour stint.

If you want to go and just ride rides... it's possible to steer clear of all of that.

Now to what someone else posted- BRING BACK WINTERFEST!.... again.

Some of you that are saying I shouldn't go, well, as I said, I want to go ride my rides, like Diamondback. I DON'T go on Saturday nights. It's

a nightmare of many proportions on those nights. Friday nights, it is just out of control. I am NOT there to take part in the haunts, and I should

not have to be accosted by scare actors when I have no interest in them. They DON'T scare me, they annoy me to no end. Like I have said,

it should be toned down, and haunt should be in appointed places, and if you want to go do that crap, you can, but if you choose to not participate,

it should NOT be thrown in your face!

If you choose to not participate, shouldn't you choose to not go? The fact of the matter is, if you go to KI during Haunt, you are going to be assumed as a patron who is there for Haunt, thus the scarecreators will be there to scare you. If you are annoyed by them, go some other time.

Also, if you look at the haunt website in the FAQ, it says under the question are children permitted "Halloween Haunt includes graphic scenes, suggestive themes and intense imagery and is intended for mature audiences; not recommended for children. No one and nothing is off limits!"

So if you're there just for rides, looks like you're out of luck.

That's like going to a haunted trail just to see the trees. It should not be toned down. I'm going to the Land of Illusion this month. I expect it to be bloody and gruesome. Not friendly looking pumpkins and bats with smiles on their faces. The Halloween Haunt is NOT for families. It's to be for people who want to be scared or grossed out at times. The actors make you uncomfortable on purpose. If you don't like it, don't go.

Guest PizzaBaby027

RaptorGuy let me tell you one simple thing, IF YOU DON'T LIKE Halloween Haunt THEN DON'T DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 7 pm Kings Island is no longer a place to ride rides and walk around and enjoy the landscaping it turns into what I like to say HELL. Its halloween, only cause your ***** *** doesn't like it doesn't mean that every other person doesn't like it either. This is a halloween event not a christian event, thats 2 months down the road. You don't like what goes on then just don't go, you want to ride rides go BEFORE 7pm. You don't want to see coffins THEN DON'T LOOK, remember the park does advise....WARNING: Halloween Haunt includes graphic scenes, suggestive themes and intense imagery and is intended for mature audiences; not recommended for children. No one and nothing is off limits! So your not mature enough to handle this, God darn your type really **** me off, I don't like it, That means it must go, NO SIR ONLY BECAUSE YOU DONT AGREE DOESN'T MEAN IT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED, no you must go. I don't believe I have ever read so much BS in one post/blog in my life. Remember child....IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T LOOK/GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha pizzababy, yeah caffeine this late is not a good idea ;)

elmer fudd, i totally do agree that its possible to avoid the haunt stuff, but like the site said, no one is off limits. i'd just have to say that there are better times to just go and ride than going on a haunt night.

uh- let me go one step further. my last comment was meant to be light hearted towards PizzaBaby's post. Upon second read- you should really tone down your rhetoric. I don't agree with most of Raptor's post- though I don't particularly care for the attractions either- BUT, being a male I have impeccable "tuning out" capabilities. Your reply is a bit demeaning. Raptor seemed to convey his post for the most part respectful. If you have to preface your posts with "*" everywhere to mask your real words and issue massive quantities of "!" and ALL CAPS- you should probably rethink your demeanor, go to bed, and maybe post in the morning.

Guest PizzaBaby027

No caffeine for me, tooth ache, but come on really this raptorguy fella really needs to learn that this a halloween event, Halloween Haunt, not just Kings Island, its Kings Island's Halloween Haunt. Its like saying I want to go on KICentral but don't want to be bothered by Kings Island stuff, just want to see the graphics of the site, really????

uh- let me go one step further. my last comment was meant to be light hearted towards PizzaBaby's post. Upon second read- you should really tone down your rhetoric. I don't agree with most of Raptor's post- though I don't particularly care for the attractions either- BUT, being a male I have impeccable "tuning out" capabilities. Your reply is a bit demeaning. Raptor seemed to convey his post for the most part respectful. If you have to preface your posts with "*" everywhere to mask your real words and issue massive quantities of "!" and ALL CAPS- you should probably rethink your demeanor, go to bed, and maybe post in the morning.

My tolorence level goes way down in the dirt once I get on something.

Let me apologize to Raptorguy, its not my fault you can't handle grown up scenes, or blood or getting a little scared. I know a little child like yourself can't handle this, again like the park advised Children should not be brought to the park and this is for mature audiences.

Guest PizzaBaby027

Pizza...i agree entirely with your comments (as I am enjoying a cold LaRosa's).

your first post was just a bit....... loud.

Thank you, forgive my anger can go a little to far, as seen in my edit to my post.

You have to understand this is a Halloween event (Hence Halloween Haunt), and the decorations are meant to be spooky. This seems like you would go up to someone who has decorated their house for Halloween and ask them to take it all down because of what you believe. Its not meant to be hellish or anything, just scary and fun. If you take it THIS seriously, don't go. Simple enough. The actors are not going to now whether you want to be scared or not, but they are going to assume so because you are at Halloween Haunt. If you are offended just by coffins, you REALLY shouldn't go. If you REALLY want to ride the rides, just ignore everything else and ride. Otherwise, wait until spring, so you won't have to be offended.

Its also kind of sad how you think people should be fired and the event should be cancelled just because you are offended by something that the majority (Probably 98%) of people would not find offensive. If you find it offensive, I'll say it again, don't go. If you can't see where you're going, walk carefully.

Also, you say they don't know how to make it "enjoyable." I sure do find it enjoyable because I want to be scared. This isn't an event for just riding the rides... that was during the summer. This is mainly for going through the Halloween attractions. People who go there want to be scared, therefore making it enjoyable. Halloween Haunt is NOTHING compared to some other places I've been to or seen on TV.

You don't just go to a haunted house to look at the walls. This is basically what you're saying.

No caffeine for me, tooth ache, but come on really this raptorguy fella really needs to learn that this a halloween event, Halloween Haunt, not just Kings Island, its Kings Island's Halloween Haunt. Its like saying I want to go on KICentral but don't want to be bothered by Kings Island stuff, just want to see the graphics of the site, really????

My tolorence level goes way down in the dirt once I get on something.

Hey Pizza remember this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

I will say I attempted to go Friday October 8th and the park was an absolute cluster. Police/Security in the parking lot for a fight. People fighting at the at the gate on the way in. Rude drunk people everyplace. We just made a lap around the park and went right back out the gate. Very disappointing when you drive all the way down from Indianapolis.

Some of you that are saying I shouldn't go, well, as I said, I want to go ride my rides, like Diamondback. I DON'T go on Saturday nights. It's

a nightmare of many proportions on those nights. Friday nights, it is just out of control. I am NOT there to take part in the haunts, and I should

not have to be accosted by scare actors when I have no interest in them. They DON'T scare me, they annoy me to no end. Like I have said,

it should be toned down, and haunt should be in appointed places, and if you want to go do that crap, you can, but if you choose to not participate,

it should NOT be thrown in your face!

Are you wanting the Scare actors to approach you and ask "May I scare you tonight", Your response nope I'm here tonight for the rides, Scare actors response "I'm terribly sorry for startling you tonight, may I walk you to Diamondback so that none of my ghoulish friends happen to do their JOB on your way through the park." Maybe they can give out little white flags to guest who only go to Halloween Haunt to just ride and not participate in the haunted attractions. And for the Show at International Showplace Hot Blooded is just awesome. I'm pretty sure you would be offended if you drove past my townhouse with Freddy Krueger about to jump out the second floor window with a bloody arm hanging out the window, Zombie stalking behind a bush with orange and black lights all around in them with Tombstones, cob webs and a skeleton surrounding it all around! It's almost like an atheist going into a Christmas store and look around a say nope nothing here for me close up the shop!

lets talk annoying for a moment. anyone get real annoyed by getting accosted by the keyhole photo folks before you have a chance to put your pass back in your wallet at the gate?

and to see some real zombies- just "people watch" in any line and see scores of teenagers in line with their friends.... not talking to each other- but having their heads pasted to their phones... .likely texting the person standing beside them....... put the phone in your pocket and enjoy the company.