Should KI and Cedar Fair Discontinue Halloween Haunt?

RaptorGuy

If I was a mod... I'd seriously consider closing this thread down soon.... Just saying.

+1. This thing's been loaded with explosives since the original post, and I seriously fail to see the value in this thread except to stir up religious debates.

Hasn't quite crossed the threshold of religion vs. Haunt entirely. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and as long as everyone can express them respectfully then the discussion can continue.

I, for one, thought Winterfest 2005 was great, at least at Carowinds.

But...know that virtually all the decorations were rented....(seems CBS was selling the parks and knew the buyer may or may not be interested in carrying on the tradition). Also, the Charlotte Observer had a very apt headline: "Walking In An Empty Wonderland."

I totally echo your sentiments... about KI though... (i got my entertainment dollars worth)

RaptorGuy: Take a chill pill, and grow up. A tantrum won't get you anywhere.

I love the Haunt, but I feel like its better off going back the direction of Fearfest. Knott's has the best Haunt imo on the chain. Even they don't use the gore in the quantities KI does.

If you ask me, one of the chief problems within the enthusiast community with Kings Island's Halloween Haunt is that it's called Halloween Haunt. Why it was changed from Fearfest, I don't know - it may have been contractual obligations during the sale, or maybe it really is just as simple as Cedar Fair wanting to borrow the name of their beloved Southern Californian event to stir up sentimentality. But Kings Island's Haunt is knott related to its more famous sister. You can have too much of a good thing. If there were three or four clones of Millennium Force, it wouldn't be as sought after. Having a dozen or so "Halloween Haunts" doesn't make sense to me, either. And yes, it's strictly from an enthusiast standpoint (because the general public doesn't know or care that there are other Halloween Haunts), but it's another example of strange, unnecessary (in my opinion) unification of the parks - they must all have Snoopy, and Flight Deck, and Haunt, and Boo Blasters. No room for individualization there. But things like having the same soft drink, season pass divisions, the same in-park pricing tiers, passholder privilages, etc. But things that would actually save money that could trickle down to savings for the customer, remain varied from park-to-park.

I know it's nit-picky, but why can't some parks keep Fearfest, or one just be Knott's Scary Farm, and one be Valleyscare? The unification under the Haunt banner either draws unrealistic comparisons to the Knott's event at most, and is a useless, generic re-name of Fearfest at least. Again, nit-picky, but just something that's been on my mind.

As for me, I long for the day that Universal's Kings Island premiers Halloween Horror Nights, where the fountains run red with blood, and the terrifying Queen and her Black Guard have overrun the once peaceful Kingdom, turning each part of the park into a twisted version of its daytime self. Imagine if Action Zone becomes a horror movie backlot with Freddy, Jason, & The Director. Coney Mall becomes a twisted, old-fashioned, clown-ridden carnival with real, life performers and "freakshows." Rivertown becomes an inescapable forest full of twisted beasts and The Skool... All of these houses and scarezones are doable right here, right now, and would create a separate, worthwhile identity for Kings Island's event that didn't leech off of it's sisters popularity.

As for me, I long for the day that Universal's Kings Island premiers Halloween Horror Nights, where the fountains run red with blood, and the terrifying Queen and her Black Guard have overrun the once peaceful Kingdom, turning each part of the park into a twisted version of its daytime self. Imagine if Action Zone becomes a horror movie backlot with Freddy, Jason, & The Director. Coney Mall becomes a twisted, old-fashioned, clown-ridden carnival with real, life performers and "freakshows." Rivertown becomes an inescapable forest full of twisted beasts and The Skool... All of these houses and scarezones are doable right here, right now, and would create a separate, worthwhile identity for Kings Island's event that didn't leech off of it's sisters popularity.

If these forums had a like button, I'd like this....heck I'd love this! :)

^^ I think having the name HH across the board, excluding CP due to a "tamer" halloween event, is simply a cost issue.

It is cheaper for advertising, souveniers, in- house sings etc.

As far as why not call it FF? The name change is probably due to a seperation between CF & Paramount, or like you mentioned, contractual obligations.

Can it be considered leeching? Sure. Most industry franchises do the same thing.

this whole thread is a bit silly..i'm very religious (a strict Roman Catholic)..and i dont see a single thing wrong with Halloween Haunt..i just think maybe Raptorguy was being a troll. i had a great time at HH, and will probably go again next year..some people who have a problem with HH just need to realize its a show..nothing more, nothing less..

^^ I think having the name HH across the board, excluding CP due to a "tamer" halloween event, is simply a cost issue.

It is cheaper for advertising, souveniers, in- house sings etc.

As far as why not call it FF? The name change is probably due to a seperation between CF & Paramount, or like you mentioned, contractual obligations.

Can it be considered leeching? Sure. Most industry franchises do the same thing.

I would be fine with the idea of unification just because it's cheaper or another event is tamer if Carowinds followed suit. Instead, they have (somewhat) separate marketing systems and are even celebrating its 10th anniversary with a big X in their logo, yet they have the same amount of "blood, terror, and gore" that KI and the other Haunts have:

http://www.scarowinds.com

Even their site is completely different from the other Haunt sites. If I'm not mistaken, this marks the tenth anniversary of our Haunt as well, yet I see no X in our logo. Nor do I see any banners or announcements saying that they've been here ten years running.

Either give each of the parks in the chain their own identity (like Busch Gardens) or completely unify them to where they all have the exact same lineup of attractions with minor changes (like Disney). I find it a bit insulting to not see an anniversary for our Haunt yet see one at another (to which said park is also run by the son of the CEO of Cedar Fair). But, then again (like I mentioned in another thread a while back), this is the same park that essentially shunned the park's 35th and The Beast's 30th anniversaries to promote Firehawk and Diamondback.

^I think that would be a much better system, it would weed out the people who only come for Haunt and those who want to come and ride the coasters.

Oh, no... no way... they actually scheduled it like that a few years ago and people were complaining on here because they'd loose an hour of their coaster riding time.

Just remember - you are absolutely entitled to have everything molded to your own personal interests at Kings Island. The good of the one outweighs the good of the many. :rolleyes:

That last line seemed to be Richard Kinzel's motto in the Apollo thingy...then he found out otherwise...seems the unitholders figured out in numbers there is strength and E Pluribus Unum and United We Stand, Divided We Fall and All That Jazz. Any Q's?

I would love that if it wasn't at KI. I love haunts and gore is fine with me... long history in deathmetal bands:lol: I know this sounds totally weird to some of you but KI is a positive/happy/uplifting place for me. Too much dark energy just takes something away from that. Gore in the fountains would be like walking in on your sister having sex. It would be kinda hard to hang out with her for a bit after that... I'm sure it's different for others but... The image of gore in the fountains would feel really wierd as I walk past them (next season) withmy family.

I have also decided to tone down my home haunt because kids walk down my street on the way to school and many of them were truely scared of my house (as were plenty of adults)... I know this because they tell me and I see them walking as close to the street as possible and some even cross to the other side.

Terror and gore in the side and back yard only... my wife finally won:) Amazing how listening to other people's views can change your mind. Again, I was on the other side of the 'Haunt is going to far debate' when it started last year... or rather when I started following it last year.

Coney Mall becomes a twisted, old-fashioned, clown-ridden carnival with real, life performers and "freakshows."

I think Coney Maul is supposed to be that (which makes me wonder why CarnEVIL isn't in Coney Maul...). They could easily set up a stage for live performers in the now empty planter between Skyline and Dodgems. I think the old ride veichles (wish the old SoB trains were out...) and the pennants are supposed to have the "abandoned carnival" vibe, and Jack... it could be improved, though. :)

Even their site is completely different from the other Haunt sites. If I'm not mistaken, this marks the tenth anniversary of our Haunt as well, yet I see no X in our logo. Nor do I see any banners or announcements saying that they've been here ten years running.

I actually noticed that this year. Felt kind of irritated when I saw KI's twitter babbling on 4th season of Haunt! I was thinking myself the same "....you know its technically 10 years if you acknowledge the (glory) FearFest years".

I still view the event as FearFest... aside from the attraction names and few prostetics makeup on some actors, it is FearFest. Probably the only real improvement is how the maze qlines are handled, if you remember FF 03 and 04 when the lines for Curse of the Crypt, Maze of Madness, Psycho Path hit each other and it was this mass of people in the walkway. Several I spoke to had no clue what they were in line for.

Universal? To much acting, not enough scaring. I love Knott's Haunt, don't like Universal Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights. Honestly Haunt at Knotts, the talent are a lot more fun.

Same here. I'd like the post and the event. Course, I've never gone to the event, but the way the event is run makes it sound cool. Every year having different shows and attractions! Commercials each year that have new footage! An event icon! Can you imagine if Cedar Fair tried to do that?dry.gif

^ Technically, neither did the Undertaker in previous years (unless you count Cemetery Drive as the unofficial "icon house").

I'm at least hoping for three brand new houses in place of Massacre Manor, CarnEVIL, and Death Row next year, as they turn 10 in 2011. Although, considering what faeriewench mentioned earlier about their Twitter saying it was their 4th season of Haunt, I'd venture to say we'll be seeing these same attractions unchanged for the next six years. <_<

No they should not discontinue it, but just up it up a lot more. This year as a worker I realized how many Congo lines there are. If you don't know what it is it's a line of about 20-25 people going through the maze at once, which makes it harder for us actors. Which makes it not fun for some people that are in the maze. They need to spread the workers out, maybe have more walkers instead of having about 70 people in trail of terror, 50 people in urgent scare, 50 people in tombstone ect.. Friends have said that this year the mazes are tons better but the atmosphere of haunt sucks. They have like 10-15 walkers going around the park. Were when paramount owned Kings Island they had about 40-50 and they all spread around the park. Now I heard from friends that they just hang around Action Zone and coney mall. Mostly in Action Zone. I rarely see any walkers around firehawlk, and The Racer.

Some of these complaints are hillarious. I had never gone until last year and I absolutely LOVED it. The theming on the haunts is great, the scare actors are creative and scary, and the good rides are open taboot. It's Halloween people!! It's the one time of year to cast aside our devout facade and revel in the baser elements of our being. This is why guys dress like Satan, and girls dress like slvts on H-ween. I honeslty think it is one of the best uses of the park, and it really highlights the creepiness that place can have in the dark. If you don't like the rowdiness, the gore, and the satanic overtones-then don't go.

In the words of Hank Hill:

TRICK OR TREAT!......TRICK OR TREAT!!!!!

going simply on the crowd they brought in last saturday, I would say there is no chance they will discontinue anytime soon. I have never seen that many people in Kings Island before.

I would like to know the main draw for the GP to Haunt. What do you think? These are multiple guess in no particular order.

1. Haunt attractions
  2. End of season and last time to ride
  3. Temperature change
  4. Better marketing by CF

I remember going to haunt in the PKI days and loving it mostly to low crowds! That is not been the case over the past several seasons.

I would probably still visit KI later in the season if they ended Halloween Haunt. I love Haunt, but I can have a good time without it. Many parks have been open for years and have thrived without haunted mazes, scareactors, fog, and the like.

While the Haunt atmosphere is certainly entertaining, and some of the mazes do scare me (I get targeted by the scareactors because I'm a small female lol, and I love it.. if I don't get scared in a maze, I won't come back!), it's not something that I see necessary for the survival of an amusement park. Coney Island has a pumpkin slingshot, and decorates their park with a Halloween theme. If that's all they need to draw in customers, then that's really admirable.

While I agree that the fog is a tad thick (makes my eyes dry and makes me cough), it definitely adds atmosphere and gives the scareactors a great place to hide. As far as people acting like idiots and the security guards turning a blind eye to unruly guests, well, that's no surprise. That's an issue no matter what time of the season it is.

As far as some of the props being disturbing: Haunt is specifically described as something not recommended for children. (I'm not calling anyone a child here.) When I see that warning, I also quietly assume that it is not intended for those who are easily offended, or have weak stomachs.

There are a lot of things I like about Haunt, and a couple of things I dislike. A large chain amusement park cannot please 100% of its guests. If you choose to go, and see something you do not like, I honestly wouldn't expect it to change if hundreds of other park guests love it or don't mind it.

I'm very happy for those who enjoy Halloween Haunt at Kings Island. I am much more of a Halloweekends kind of guy, and I don't go to Halloween Haunt. Before the first person chides me for that, remember most of y'all are the same peeps who lecture if you don't like it, don't go. Ya can't have it both ways. I don't like it and I don't go. So be happy. Enjoy what you enjoy and I will enjoy what I enjoy!

Terp, who says life is full of choices....

Umm… holy crap wow… I’m typing this up in the car so I’m going to just respond to the first post as mobily reading them all and quoting them would not ‘really be feasible…

First off, you complain about the “gangs of teenagers, you obviously have NEVER gone to the park on a weekend in the summer… they’re even worse then. Period. They’re teenagers, in large groups. Kinda the demographic Kings Island goes after. Unfortunately for the rest of us. You talk about the security. From the last 2 times I’ve been on a Friday, The aides (the ones in bright neon green/yellow) have been pretty on top of the lines and keeping people in line. Since they implemented the aides last year, the lines have been 10 million bajillion times better than they were without them, as there were only I swear 5 security guards walking around the park all night previously.

Next. You talk about Wall of Monsters on Friday night. Which is what people come for. If you don’t want to deal with, don’t be there right as the gates open. Wait 15 minutes and you’ll be fine. Your precious coaster will still be there with not much of a line, thanks to those haunts that you complain about. 95% of the people there, are waiting for it, and expecting it, and loving it! Most normal people have their passes and tickets out already, so its your own fault for getting “disoriented and sidetracked”. I thought you didn’t care for Haunt, therefore these ppl shouldn’t even phase you. Just saying.

The OverLord is not satan. He’s simply a character. Now they used to have the Undertaker, you worked for the Devil. Maybe you would prefer that character to come back?? I mean that seems more you speed maybe? He would heckled anyone he could pick out. Again awesome character. As for the fog, I wear glasses, and worked in the stuff for years. Also have asthma. I love the fog! It makes it fun, and adds to the ambience. And for those actors it makes it more fun and easier to scare others that are there to ACTUALLY BE SCARED which is about 95% of the population there on a given night. I’ve also heard that it’s pretty awesome to ride The Beast and DB in the fog… but I haven’t gotten to experience that yet.

Now as far as the decorations go…. I’m really going to pretend that you’re completely kidding… When one thinks of Halloween whats the first thing that pops into your head? Oh yeah that’s skeletons, witches, vampires, coffin, jack-o-lanterns. Oh what was that? KI has all those things? Yeah… Now here I’m going to go a step, might make you feel bad might not. But years ago when I was about 7 my uncles cornfield caught on fire during a drought season. 7 acres of fire. And cornstalks… But do cornstalks bring back bad memories for me? No. So I’m assuming since vampires are associated with coffins you can’t stand those either just for the sole reason of them being about coffins. In fact let me let you in on a not-so-secret. Halloween is derived from All Hallow’s Eve, aka All Souls Day. Souls…. Dead people… hand in hand. It actually dates back centuries in which people celebrated and remember the dead. It had religious meaning. Any more it’s just a day Catholics have to go to church, and some other not so celebrated religions like Wiccan (not witches but actually Wiccan, which celebrates the Earth if people take the time to learn about it. Ask me and I’ll tell you all about it) In places like Mexico they celebrate La Dia De Muerte, aka Day of the Dead, where they celebrate a lost loved ones life. It’s a way to celebrate their life when they were here on this earth. But I’m sure you’d want them to cancel their holiday as well? But you were ok with the Howl-o-fest!? But they dress up!! Like skeletons and vampires, and witches!! Oh no!! I’m sure you’d only like princesses perhaps? And the shows.. have you watched them? Or just know theres a loud sound you don’t like? Cuz if you actually watch it, it makes sense, and adds some fun to a show. Seriously….

You might have taken it a step to far

As far as you’re “I wish it was how it was in the 90’s” comment, I’d like to know what that was like. Closed? Since the first FearFest ran by WEBN was in 2000. And Paramount started running it in 2004. And it makes money! I heard there were upwards of 40k ppl in the park on Saturday. It’s a HUGE money maker. In fact let me ask you how the lines for rides were? I’m sure they were quite short for you. As others were there for Haunt itself, and allowed ppl like you to enjoy the short ride lines. If not for Haunt, you wouldn’t get that… at all… They’d be much like they were at Kings Dominion was this past weekend and 2+ hours long. Not Fridays as KI. And then you mentioned Winterfest… *sigh* it. Didn’t. make. Money. Period. The end. Done. They tried, if you’ll remember, in 2005 to revive it. It failed HORRIBLY!!! They could barely pay the staff that worked it. People just don’t care too much about it. Again, sure they could market it differently, but lets be honest… it’s Cedar Fair. Ppl can go ice skate across the street at the Beach or go to Fountain Square which has more ambience.

Perhaps you should lean towards your own advice that I’m hearing… If you don’t like it, don’t go. If you’re just there for the rides, then enjoy the fact that there are things to keep people occupied so you can have a way shorter line.

*/end rant

I was there in the mob of 40,000 people on Saturday and left the park around 9:45-10:00 and did not see on ScareActor on the way out, and we walked all the way from The Beast, to the gate. I saw the fog, how could you miss it, I saw the lines of people, how could you miss it, but I did not see one single person lurking in the shadows to scare the daylights out of me, not one. I know it was only 10 and they might come out later, but it was pretty thick with fog and dark and I was expecting to see them out in droves.

No they should not discontinue it, but just up it up a lot more. This year as a worker I realized how many Congo lines there are. If you don't know what it is it's a line of about 20-25 people going through the maze at once, which makes it harder for us actors. Which makes it not fun for some people that are in the maze. They need to spread the workers out, maybe have more walkers instead of having about 70 people in trail of terror, 50 people in urgent scare, 50 people in tombstone ect.. Friends have said that this year the mazes are tons better but the atmosphere of haunt sucks. They have like 10-15 walkers going around the park. Were when paramount owned Kings Island they had about 40-50 and they all spread around the park. Now I heard from friends that they just hang around Action Zone and coney mall. Mostly in Action Zone. I rarely see any walkers around firehawlk, and The Racer.

Actually, you have that backwards about street monsters. There were actually LESS monsters on the streets in the Paramount years than there are now (or at least, up until this year). The only monsters that were outside were the sliders and mostly stayed in Coney Mall. You probably thought there were a lot if you counted the "fear zones" from 2006.

going simply on the crowd they brought in last saturday, I would say there is no chance they will discontinue anytime soon. I have never seen that many people in Kings Island before.

You should of been to the park the last day of the season about 6 or 7 years when they had a bring up to a certain amount of people for free if you were a season pass holder day. I had heard that day was a record breaker for most people in the gates.

The Haunt was out of hand the first year they changed the name. All it will take is someone suing the park because they got hurt or beat up by some people for them to make major changes. I remember when they had a friday night party thing years ago in Action Zone. All it took was a shooting in the parking lot to make them stop that event for good. I do have to say that i been to Halloweekends and to the Haunt. Halloweekends is way better. But i do go to Kings Island in Oct. I just go on a Sunday.

The Haunt was out of hand the first year they changed the name. All it will take is someone suing the park because they got hurt or beat up by some people for them to make major changes. I remember when they had a friday night party thing years ago in Action Zone. All it took was a shooting in the parking lot to make them stop that event for good. I do have to say that i been to Halloweekends and to the Haunt. Halloweekends is way better. But i do go to Kings Island in Oct. I just go on a Sunday.

There was no shooting in the parking lot. There was, however, a nice little riot during the event.

The next weekend was canceled because, "The DJ was unable to make their flight."

The weekend after that, the event quietly disappeared.

I think they actually did two of the five scheded events.

Does anyone remember what it was called? Off the top of my head, I can't...