Should KI and Cedar Fair Discontinue Halloween Haunt?

RaptorGuy

The Haunt was out of hand the first year they changed the name. All it will take is someone suing the park because they got hurt or beat up by some people for them to make major changes. I remember when they had a friday night party thing years ago in Action Zone. All it took was a shooting in the parking lot to make them stop that event for good. I do have to say that i been to Halloweekends and to the Haunt. Halloweekends is way better. But i do go to Kings Island in Oct. I just go on a Sunday.

There was no shooting in the parking lot. There was, however, a nice little riot during the event.

The next weekend was canceled because, "The DJ was unable to make their flight."

The weekend after that, the event quietly disappeared.

I think they actually did two of the five scheded events.

Does anyone remember what it was called? Off the top of my head, I can't...

The news reports told different.

There was a shooting in the parking lot at Kings DOMINION a while back.

http://www.coastergrotto.com/news.jsp?argId=58

The two victims, 18 and 21, were shot in the parking lot of Paramount's Kings Dominion after the sixth annual Black Entertainment Television College Hip-Hop Fest, attended by approximately 20,000 people.

A 23 year old has been charged with two counts of malicious wounding and two counts of possessing a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Things like that can really scar a park. Hmm, I wonder if KI management thought, "oh my, not the environment we we're hoping for." Dare I say it, maybe they created a volitile environment by the people they attracted.

Crowd control and atmosphere are incredibly important. That's why everyone loves Holiday World. I just heard that from a parent who has multiple friends that feel the same way. Friends that will drive an extra 2 hrs. to go to a park with a better family atmosphere. Holiday World puts great effort into that image and is very proactive in maintaining it, including offering reasonable food options, keeping their employees satisfied and happy and showing that they care about guests (Pat at the front gates and sweeping midways). I know of a chain that should be thinking more like that. Not more like 'I bet we can make a lot of money being vulgar and gruesome'.

This is mainly a response to the Op, as I haven't read the 9 pages of replies:

You are allowed to have your opinions, you are allowed to have preferences, and you are allowed to choose where you spend your money at. Halloween Haunt is different than a normal operating day at KI. It's directed to a different audience. The rides are there alongside the haunts. I went to my first Haunt last Friday, and I liked it. Everyone else that was there seemed to enjoy themselves. It's a Halloween festival, and that's why the decorations are there. It's the theme of the holiday.

While the Haunt atmosphere is certainly entertaining, and some of the mazes do scare me (I get targeted by the scareactors because I'm a small female lol, and I love it.. if I don't get scared in a maze, I won't come back!), it's not something that I see necessary for the survival of an amusement park. Coney Island has a pumpkin slingshot, and decorates their park with a Halloween theme. If that's all they need to draw in customers, then that's really admirable.

Coney`s Fall-O-Ween Festival was a tremendous success this year. In fact, one of the busiest days of the season, in terms of admissions only (excluding group sales) occurred on the last Saturday of Fall O Ween. And yes, the pumpkin Sling Shot was a success as well. We even ran out of pumpkins after the first two weekends and they had to order more for the final weekend. This was also the first year that Fall O Ween was extended to three weekends. The reason that Coney does not do anything more sinister like KI is because Coney a) does not have the budget to do something like that (not even for one haunted house) and B) that is not Coney`s target market. Coney is after the family demographic and not necessarily the teen and college age students.

I remember going to Kings Island in the fall prior to Haunt. The park was always dead, and it was a bummer when the park closed at 6 and 7pm on Saturdays. Needless to say that the Haunt has been a HUGE success. Too bad WinterFest couldn`t have taken off again like Haunt did. But that is a whole separate discussion for another place and time.

Needless to say that the Haunt has been a HUGE success.

The weather has been perfect for haunt these past few weekends and this weekend is looking just as good. Last Saturday had to have beat some records for amount of haunt visitors... When Beast has a line starting at Larosa's you know the park is packed. B)

I would agree. The weather this October has been leaps and bounds ahead of last years rainy, cold October. Which means good business for the parks. (I know Coney liked Fall-O-Ween this year because it brought in a large crowd). Now I wonder if KI is wishing they had not rescinded their original plans to try opening Haunt on some Thursdays and Sunday nights this year.

The Haunt was out of hand the first year they changed the name. All it will take is someone suing the park because they got hurt or beat up by some people for them to make major changes. I remember when they had a friday night party thing years ago in Action Zone. All it took was a shooting in the parking lot to make them stop that event for good. I do have to say that i been to Halloweekends and to the Haunt. Halloweekends is way better. But i do go to Kings Island in Oct. I just go on a Sunday.

There was no shooting in the parking lot. There was, however, a nice little riot during the event.

The next weekend was canceled because, "The DJ was unable to make their flight."

The weekend after that, the event quietly disappeared.

I think they actually did two of the five scheded events.

Does anyone remember what it was called? Off the top of my head, I can't...

The news reports told different.

I'm still waiting for all of these news reports about a "shooting" in KI's parking lot.

The shooting at Dominion was during a private event too, so I don't think they were doing Xtended Play that night, but that could be wrong.

I myself LOVE Halloween Haunt, but on the other hand i like how Halloweekends is ran at Cedar Point. It is run VERY smoothly and you dont see any out of control kids harrassing the scareactors. My friend was sent to the hospital after getting punched for scaring someone's girlfriend. Thats unacceptible. KI should take some pointers on Halloweekends at Cedar Point. But like i said, i Love HH at KI, theres just some things i would like to see change.

Thanks, :)

Yes, staffing may be an issue on those nights, but Cedar Point has the spooky portion of HalloWeekends on some Sunday nights and closes the park at 10pm. Granted, when KI tried the bare bones nights several years back, it was unquestionably not a success as there were more employees than guests. Granted it was also bitterly cold, and the park was open on like Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I think Thursday nights might have a little more success. At least in luring in some of the college crowd. But with anything outside this time of year in Cincinnati, the weather can play a huge factor. This year it has been excellent weather with little or no rain (although we are in a severe drought right now, with rain fall totals in Cincinnati running about six to seven inches below normal!

I'm still waiting for all of these news reports about a "shooting" in KI's parking lot.

The shooting at Dominion was during a private event too, so I don't think they were doing Xtended Play that night, but that could be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, there was an incident involving a gun at a Pretty Ricky concert a couple years back. I know there was a pretty bad riot that occurred during the concert, but I'm not exactly sure if a shooting took place.

Raptorguy-- Please don't attend Halloween Haunt weekends if they offend you. It's not a church Sunday school. If you attend the park during the haunt season you will experience some of what you complain about. The fact is KI needs the revenue boost to pay for rides like Diamond Back. Attendence goes up because of HH. People go and many enjoy it. I like the atmosphere of HH. Of course there will always be a few trouble makers but don't let them ruin your good times. Maybe your just getting old? Lol.

Raptorguy-- Please don't attend Halloween Haunt weekends if they offend you. It's not a church Sunday school. If you attend the park during the haunt season you will experience some of what you complain about. The fact is KI needs the revenue boost to pay for rides like Diamond Back. Attendence goes up because of HH. People go and many enjoy it. I like the atmosphere of HH. Of course there will always be a few trouble makers but don't let them ruin your good times. Maybe your just getting old? Lol.

I know I am, and I'm ok with that. This year's weather has been great this time of year; the last few years its been horrid and I know that has affected attendance. I still don't think during the week is gonna be profitable regardless of what is done. Once school starts, people have other priorities.

You should of been to the park the last day of the season about 6 or 7 years when they had a bring up to a certain amount of people for free if you were a season pass holder day. I had heard that day was a record breaker for most people in the gates.

The day that broke the record for most people in the gates was not a closing day. More than that I will not say, except that I worked on the day that broke that record.

just a thought Raptorguy. THAT'S WHY THE PARK IS OPEN IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER TOO!!! STOP WHINING BECAUSE YOU'RE REALLY SCARED OF THE PEOPLE IN AWESOME COSTUMES. GO RIDE THE RIDES IN SUMMER OR ON SATUDAYS BEFORE THE AWESOME HUANT STARTS OR SUNDAYS WHEN THE KIDDIE ACTIVITIES RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY ARE GOING ON. OTHERWISE JUST BECAUSE YOU HAD A BAD TIME DOESN'T MEAN Halloween Haunt SHOULD BE CANCLED FOR YOU AND ONLY YOU. STOP GOING. I MYSELF LOVE THE MONSTERS, EFFECTS, AND THE COSTUMES AND THINK IT IS REALLY A GOOD TIME. AND FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE HIGH OR DRUNK I'VE BEEN EVERY YEAR ON FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS AND NEVER CAUGHT GLIMPSE OF ANY TROUBLE. SO WITH THAT ZIP IT AND DON'T GO TO HH. AND AGAIN THE PARK'S OPEN IN SUMMER!!!!!!