The John Allen Poll

McSalsa

This is a idea that popped into my head- a poll about coasters created by the legendary John Allen. Kings Island has 2 of his creations, Racer & Woodstock Express. So do many other parks, including numerous Six Flags parks, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, etc etc. For a list of all John Allen coasters:

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&nm=na&pe=6850&page=1 (somehow, though, he is apparentley designing a steel roller coaster for Knoebels somehow...from beyond the grave?)

Which one of them is your favorite? Enjoy the poll. If you dislike, click back.:P

http://www.rcdb.com/...&pe=6850&page=1 (somehow, though, he is apparentley designing a steel roller coaster for Knoebels somehow...from beyond the grave?

McSalsa, if you click on that steel coaster (Black Diamond), you'll see that it's actually a coaster that's being relocated. It was previously called Golden Nugget from Dinosaur Beach in NJ, and has been in existence since 1960.

There are several duplicates (moved) on that list. I have ridden 17 of the John Allen coasters. My favorite, by far, was the coaster he always claimed was his big mistake...Mr. Twister...I did not get to ride it its first year, but it was rejiggered and I did ride it after that...it was quite the John Allen ride! :) Racer at Kings Island as it operated when the park opened would be my second favorite...

We got to ride Cannon Ball this past weekend as well as GASM at SFOG & Woodstock Express at Carowinds. So KICoasterGirl & I have now ridden all of the operating John Allen coasters. Cannon Ball was a lot of fun with a few good pops of air. Reminded us a lot of Red Racer.

I look forward to riding Black Diamond when it opens so I can continue to make this claim.

I`d love to visit some of the parks that you have been to. But time and money (and lack of vacation days at my new job) have limited my travel availability. Someday I hope to visit more parks. My coaster count has been slow to rise the last few years, only rising by two this year and last year.

I thoroughly enjoyed Blue Streak at Cedar Point this past September. Almost more so than The Racer! Maybe its because the ride felt a lot smoother compared to The Racer. Or maybe it was the fact that the ride seemed better kept because of its blue paint job, and its LED chaser lights.

I`d love to visit some of the parks that you have been to. But time and money (and lack of vacation days at my new job) have limited my travel availability. Someday I hope to visit more parks. My coaster count has been slow to rise the last few years, only rising by two this year and last year.

I thoroughly enjoyed Blue Streak at Cedar Point this past September. Almost more so than The Racer! Maybe its because the ride felt a lot smoother compared to The Racer. Or maybe it was the fact that the ride seemed better kept because of its blue paint job, and its LED chaser lights.

Agree with you 100 percent. Also, very few wooden coasters can beat the airtime on Blue Streak.

The census said there were/are 30 John Allen coasters. I live in Ohio and I have been to alot of parks in the north central/south, east coast states and Nevada. Someday I would like to visit the new england states, texas, and west coast states. I would rather not say which ones I am missing.

I only count 26...4 you see, are relocated...there were a total of 26. As Dave Stroem pointed out, 12 remain operating. Joyland's Nightmare may some day reopen, though it seems doubtful. And Black Diamond should open next year at Knoebels (and maybe even Flying Turns will, but that's another story not pertinent here we hope). Starliner should live again, back in Panama City.

For others following along at home, these are still operational:

1. Blue Streak, Cedar Point

2. Cannonball, Lake Winnie

3. Ghoster Coaster, Kings Dominion

4. Great American Scream Machine, SFOG

5. Racer, Kings Island

6. Rebel Yell, Kings Dominion

7. Screamin' Eagle, SFStL

8. Sea Dragon, Jungle Jack's Landing (Ohio)

9 (and 27). Skyliner, Lakemont (was Skyliner, Roseland, see 9 and 27 below)*

10. Swamp Fox, Family Kingdom (SC)

11. Woodstock Express, Kings Island

12. Woodstock Express, Carowinds

TOTAL OPERATING: 12

Standing But Not Operating:

13. Nightmare, Joyland (Kansas)

14 (and 28). Starliner, Miracle Strip...moved to Cypress Gardens, now Legoland which has now reportedly sold it to Pier Park in Panama City, may re-operate (it plans were more definite, I'd list this as 14 (and 28 and 31)!

Closed, but Being Relocated:

15 (and 29). Golden Nugget, Dinosaur Beach (steel) being relocated as Black Diamond, Knoebel's Grove (steel)

Operating Today but included in the first category:

* 9 (and 27). Skyliner, Roseland Park (Texas) (now no. 9, Skyliner, Lakemont)

TOTAL EXISTING: 15

Defunct:

16. Comet, Rocky Glen

17. Comet, Funway (interestingly, had a steel structure, hybrid)

18. Flyer, Dinosaur Beach

19. Jetstream, Riverview

20. Mr. Twister, Elitch Gardens (the OLD Elitch Gardens, not where it is now, and certainly not Twister II)

21 (and 30). Shooting Star, Lakeside Park, (VIRGINIA, not Denver...), then moved to Wet N Wild Emeralde Pointe in NC

22. Skyliner, Fair Park, Nashville

23. Tornado, Wedgewood Village, Oklahoma

24. Tornado, Petticoat Junction, Florida

25. Valley Volcano, Angela Park, Pennsylvania

26. Zingo, Bells, Oklahoma

Total Defunct: 11

Total: 26

Twenty six unique coasters, 30 installations (including 4 duplicates)....Of the 26 unique coasters, 12 are operating, 1 SBNO, 2 being relocated, 11 defunct.