Old ride locations

homestar92

So my girlfriend and I, who are both very obsessed with Kings Island for many reasons, were having a discussion about removed or demolished rides, and where they stood when they existed. We all know that Antique Cars were where Backlot is now... That's easy. And King Cobra was where Delirium was, or more specifically, King Cobra's helix was precisely where Delirium's disc sits. (I checked Google Earth on that, plus I, unlike her, have been to the park at a time when King Cobra still stood, although I was too short to ride it). My question pertains to Bavarian Beetle and Screamin' Demon. Comparing 1972 map scans online with current maps leads me to believe that the Paramount theater (or whatever they changed it to) is where Bavarian Beetle stood. What about Screamin' Demon? Online photos and her father's recollection dictate that it was about where Invertigo stands, but that could be a horribly wrong estimate. If anyone knows, would they like to delve into this subject? I love history, I love Kings Island, and I love to combine them. So any knowledge of this sort that anyone knows would be very interesting to me.

Skylab was where The Racer lockers and basketball game are.

One of the Sky Ride stations was about in between Adventure Express's entrance and SlingShot. One of the towers was in the Bier Garden pond, the footer is still there next to the patio. I think there's a boat on top of it.

The other Skyride station was the building which is now the gift shop in Planet Snoopy.

Where were the ("Der") Spinnen Keggers? I seem to remember them being where Viking Fury is now... but it's been 30 years since I last rode them (GE Day way back in 1980).

The Der Spinnen Keggers was where that sandblasting art thing is now. The Canoe ride was directly under The Beast Station. I think there's remnants of it still there.

The Zodiac (double ferris wheel) was where The Bobbles are now. The Marathon Sunshine Turnpike was where that Snoopy Theater is now. Just as an FYI.

Der Spinnen Keggers were located where the Oktoberfest Airbrush concession is currently located. The Super Slide was orginally located where Zephyr is. Halley's Comet was located at the end of Coney Mall right next to Coney Refreshments which I believe was orignally called Antique Treats. That stand was right next to the exit for The Ohio Overland Auto Livery which was the north side of the antique cars. the southern side was Les Taxis. The two routes intertwined around the land behind the floral clock back to where the Backlot Stunt Coaster's loading area is. Wheel of Fortune was Coney Island's trabant that was moved to KI and was about where Linus' Launcher is now. The entry queue to Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal was in the same area as the Crypt. There was a Ferris Wheel located in Oktoberfest for a few years after the Bavarian Beetle closed. It occupied the site where the age/weight booth currently sits going from Oktoberfest to Action Zone. Where Sling Shot sits is the approximate location of Bayern Kurve. The Tumble Bug was just to the right of The Racer's queue line and Sky Lab was in the same place. The Flying Eagles were orignally located where the Dodgems now stand. Dodgems and The Cuddle Up from Coney were located in the building that now houses Attitudes and Massacre Manor for Halloween Haunt.There's lots more if anyone's interested.

Where were the ("Der") Spinnen Keggers? I seem to remember them being where Viking Fury is now... but it's been 30 years since I last rode them (GE Day way back in 1980).

Yes, that is where the Flying Eagles final location at Kings Island was. They are now located down at Carowinds. :( From all I can tell, Kings Island people protested their move to Carowinds at the time, but the decision came from corporate.

Part of Adventure Expresses queue (the curved portion before getting to the covered bridge) actually uses the old ride pad for the Flying Dutchman.

The Ferris Wheel that Kings Island briefly had next to the Festhaus was in fact an Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel.

Charlie Gold, I believe you have the names of the antique car stations reversed. Les Taxis were in fact the north station, next to the Dodgems. The southern side, located near Swan Lake, was the Ohio Overland Auto Livery. The Auto Livery was actually SBNO for several years before both sides were removed at the end of the 2004 season for Italian Job. The cars remained in storage at KI for several years (one even was used in the WinterFest parade, sans the cover). They ultimately were shipped out to Worlds of Fun I believe.

The monorail was where the Son of Beast now stands.

The Kings Mill Log Flume used to be where Race for your Life Charlie Brown is.

The Ferris wheel was where Viking Fury is. Wheel of fortune was near the log flume.

Just look here:

http://en.wikipedia....and_attractions

and here:

The Monerail Station was approximately where the Skyflyer is. The layout used not only the SOB grounds, but the FOF and Firehawk land as well.

The Race For Your Life Charlie Brown is the former Kings Mill Log Flume - same ride, but had it's trough replaced about 10 years ago.

The Ferris Wheel was next to the Festhouse, not near Viking Fury.

Someone earlier mentioned the Rotor... it had 2 locations in the park right of the Bavarian Beetle - then moved to the left of the Beetle when Wild Animal Habitat opened.

There's a wonderful tool on this site that many overlook. It's the answer to many of the endless "Where was the ____ located?" questions. The tool is the History Section... here's a few links that may help folks.

[/url]http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/albums/userpics/10002/LionCountrySafariUnknownCoasterBayernKerveSkyRide%281975%29.jpg

http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=59

http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=63

http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=60

http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=30

The Race For Your Life Charlie Brown is the former Kings Mill Log Flume - same ride, but had it's trough replaced about 10 years ago.

That part was a joke, lol

Actually, D.L.R, the Ferris Wheel was where the Rotor was. It sat literally right next to the Festhaus. It was there at the same time as Viking Fury. I

think it was probably removed after the 1983 season. That could be off by a year or so, but I remember riding it in 1983. Also, on the log flume,

just as an FYI, the 2 lift hills were NOT replaced. They are the originals from Coney Island. The rest of the trough was replaced. I would love to see

them bring back the grist mill,though. It was just 2 years ago that I realized it was gone! It's probably been gone for at least 5! Anyone know where

it might be?

Is it just me or is the train on the map going backwards? Did it used to run the otherway?

No, the train never ran any other way than the way it does now. The maps in the 1970's and early 80's all depicted the train

going that direction for some reason. I never really knew why, though.

I wonder why they would mark the "Administration Building" on the map. Was that area open the the public at one point or something?

If you're referring to the building right next to Winnie Witches Cauldrons there between The Scooby Doo Rollercoaster and the International Street shops,

the one end of that building houses First Aid. It was there to mark that facility on the map. That's why its on there.

Actually, D.L.R, the Ferris Wheel was where the Rotor was. It sat literally right next to the Festhaus. It was there at the same time as Viking Fury. I

think it was probably removed after the 1983 season. That could be off by a year or so, but I remember riding it in 1983.

It was there much later than 1983, as I remember it being there when I started working in the park. In fact, the park map that DIeseltech20 linked above from 1989 has it on there, and the KIC History Timeline says it was removed at the end of the 1990 season. Although I personally thought it was later than that, I've been wrong before and will defer to the Timeline.