SFMM adding 3 new coasters for 2011

Looks like Superman will be going backwards, the kid coaster from SFNO and a ZacSpin.

I hope to make it to Cali next year for these and more.

I guess that the Coaster wars aren't as dead as everyone thought. "Six Flags Magic Mountain Recaptures the Coveted Thrill Park Crown"

No matter which park you're a "fanboi" of, you must admit, the diversity and uniqueness of that park's coasters is astounding... Again, Cedar Point's collection may be commonly accepted as being better, but Magic Mountain's variation is out of this world. Think about it. Just off the top of my head:

B&M Flying Coaster

Intamin ZacSpin

GCI Woodie

Arrow 5th Dimension

B&M Invert

Arrow Suspended

Intamin Reverse Freefall

Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang

... And what, ten more?

Impressed.

I hope they have seating in the line for that ZacSpin.

Classic!

You're absolutely right, however. I'm guessing that you're looking at a maximum capacity of 500 - 600 pph on this ride which will be absolutely abyssmal. I would imagine that most enthusiasts going to the park after the ride is built will head immediately for that ride instead of X2. I do wonder why they didn't decide to put a ZacSpin in a smaller Six Flags park (i.e., St. Louis, New England, etc.) where crowds wouldn't be as big of an issue.

The ride itself looks interesting, but I'm curious about the transitions. I would imagine that with OTSRs and the funky transitions that there may be some male-bashing. I really hope that's not the case, but if my experience with the holding brake on Steel Venom at Valleyfair is any indication that'll be something worth watching.

Does this make sense for Six, not in my eye. Do any ****ing matches make sense?

Why don't they just get out a ruler and settle this once and for all.

I've got a hunch CP is in communication w/ B&M for a 4thD (X-Raptor being a prototype, of sorts) in 2012 and they'll add a kiddie coaster to take back the crown. I'd love a GCII or GG woodie thouggh.

I think this makes a ton of sense for Six Flags. The kiddie coaster is a minimal capital expenditure. Reworking Superman again in the big picture is a minimal expense and the Zacspin is not a major expense at around 7 million. So for 10 million or so they can claim the "crown".

If you look at the other announced "new" attractions they are only putting up 2 new coasters chain wide.

Does anyone here know (and is willing to share) what a euro-fighter costs? RCDB list Mystery Mine at 17.5 million but Rock Bottom Plunge at only 2.9 million.

I think this is a smart and pretty fiscally responsible way to take the coaster crown, they're really only putting in two smaller coasters, and reworking Superman and voila, you can market 3 new coasters! I have always thought Six Flags Magic Mountain seemed like a fun park, I hope to make it out there some day.

And as for Cedar Point countering, I don't care when or how they do it, as long as Kings Island gets something awesome for the 40th. ;)

Several things on my mind about this:

1. Superman going backwards does not a new coaster make. Not even if they actually decide to open up the second side.

Just curious as to how the launch will work facing backwards?

I didn't enjoy Racer going backwards - and that was about 50 mph. The idea of being launched 100 miles per hour backwards just screams PAIN to me. Will be interesting to see the initial reviews.

2. Never really was a fan of the ZacSpin concept. Having never ridden one I can not provide final judgement, but from looking at it offride, not only does it appear obnoxious (As if a normal coaster was just pancaked) but it also seems to be more of a psychological experience of the extreme hangtime then an actual intense ride experience. Again, will be interesting to see the reviews.

3. At least two Green Lantern coasters in one year....while they're on other sides of the country the general public will be absolutely clueless to it, but still....oh well. Little pet peeve I guess.

I'm guessing that you're looking at a maximum capacity of 500 - 600 pph on this ride which will be absolutely abyssmal

4. I agree, I am not a fan of adding low capacity rides in high-market parks. Invertigo, Green Lantern, WindSeeker, all dissapointingly low capacities compared to their people eater brethren like Diamondback, Tatsu and Raptor.

5. I'm interested to see Cedar Point's reaction - technically they're just one coaster behind, one could tie and 2 could put them ahead. If I were Cedar Fair, I would sneak in a kiddie coaster along with my new thrill coaster in 2012, so then they have the upper hand. Then again, this is Cedar Fair we're talking about.

Does anyone here know (and is willing to share) what a euro-fighter costs? RCDB list Mystery Mine at 17.5 million but Rock Bottom Plunge at only 2.9 million.

Pure speculation here - Mystery Mine is 500 feet longer (Though I doubt that has that much of an effect on the cost), and it also is much more heavily themed. The dynamite explosion, fake mine and authentic looking wooden structure can't come cheap. While I don't know if that accounts for the 14 million dollar difference, that may have something to do with it.

What just happened? All of a sudden, three new roller coasters, changing records, and adding amazing new things. I didn't see this coming.

But, honestly, wouldn't you rather have Cedar Point build one really good roller coaster instead of three kiddie ones? Which is what some people are suggesting.

I tried to reply on this earlier from my phone but the internet was being too slow in school. I saw this on TPR this morning and seriously freaked out, definitely the biggest surprise of the season. I already want to try to go to Six Flags Over Texas for Texas Giant, but this really makes me want to go to SFMM!

Just curious as to how the launch will work facing backwards?

I didn't enjoy Racer going backwards - and that was about 50 mph. The idea of being launched 100 miles per hour backwards just screams PAIN to me. Will be interesting to see the initial reviews.

Judging by the videos I'm watching of Dreamworld's Tower of Terror (which was recently turned backwards), it doesn't seem like the launch on Superman will be too bad.

"I was going to visit Cedar Point but then I realized there's a park with 1 more coaster that's only 2,300 miles away!"

I was just thinking that. Just because Cedar Point doesn't have as much coasters as another amusement park doesn't mean it's going to get less visitors. I visited Holiday World over Cedar Point (in all honesty, I did). More coasters isn't always the best!

Looks like a Cali trip is in the works for pkiboy and Texas parks as well. I haven't been to Magic Mountain in in 20 years or Knotts. I was born in LA and my home park was Disneyland. Since I have hit almost every Major East coast park this year I think next year I will go to the Wild Wild West. Mr. Dave time to start looking at AirFair :P JK.

Judging by the videos I'm watching of Dreamworld's Tower of Terror (which was recently turned backwards), it doesn't seem like the launch on Superman will be too bad.

The video really makes the point, but I'll back it up with speculation. These Intamin "coasters" don't really launch you in the "traditional" sense*. Every movement of the car on the track is controlled by the LSMs (and the computers thereof). I absolutely know no facts, but it seems to me that the cars' accelerations are much less intense than we're expecting* because the LSMs can lessen the acceleration and spread it out over more of the course, even theoretically while the car is vertical. Watch a decent POV, even- I think the reason there's so much floater airtime at the top is because the LSMs (visibly) extends the amount of time the car spends slowing and then re-accelerating at the peak.

*By a "traditional" or "expected" launch, I mean to point out that we're used to forceful launches that only comprise a portion of the ride, such as Top Thrill Dragster or Flight of Fear. Based off of the video, this is clearly not the same sort of launch.

"I was going to visit Cedar Point but then I realized there's a park with 1 more coaster that's only 2,300 miles away!"

Post of the day.

Getting the "tiotle" back is good for PR and will maike some great commercials and Dave makes a good point about the low cap. expenditures but... a seriously low capacity coaster at Magic Mountain. Is that good.?.. Do rhetorical questions really deserve a question mark. Come on, they're declarative. We all know it:) Sorry, I'll go be a dork somewhere else.

I doubt that Cedar Fair is as surprised as many of you think about Magic Mountain breaking their coaster record. Remember, Cedar Fair has been pouring capital improvements into the former Paramount parks. I am not a financial expert but, to me, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this would delay a new coaster at CP. Plus we have been going through a pretty bad recession in the past few years. And, as Terpie has repeatedly drilled into our heads, the biggest, baddest coaster does not in itself help the "bottom line".

Some day, I would love to go to Magic Mountain but, right now, it simply is not within my budget. However, I am not going to suddenly run out to Magic Mountain simply because they have more coasters than CP. I consider myself darn lucky that I have a world-class park ( KI ) practically in my back yard and another world class park

(CP) just a little less than 4 hours from me. A lot of people would give their right arms to be so close to just one park.

Should be interesting to see what they claim the capacity of that ZacSpin is.

Intamin claims an hourly capacity of 700 or 720pph depending on model.

There are three listed on RCDB, but one doesn't have capacity listed. For the other two:

Kirnu at Linnanmäki in Helsinki, Finlanad - 640

Insane (formerly Tele2 Insane) at Gröna Lund in Stockholm, Sweden - 800

For reference, RCDB lists the capacity of Flying ACE at 650...

Just curious as to how the launch will work facing backwards? Think about how you will need to strain to hold your head against the headrest as you are launched.

Financially does this make sense for Six? Should be interesting.

I don't know about Six Flags as a whole, but I'd think this should very much increase attendance in Magic Mountain.

Keep in mind that Los Angeles is an extremely touristy area. As long as Magic Mountain can keep this record, they will have a much easier time convincing people to visit Magic Mountain rather than Disneyland, Knott's, Universal, etc.

Since Cedar Point does not have any nearby competition, it really doesn't help them very much...