SFMM adding 3 new coasters for 2011

Just curious as to how the launch will work facing backwards? Think about how you will need to strain to hold your head against the headrest as you are launched.

Financially does this make sense for Six? Should be interesting.

I don't know about Six Flags as a whole, but I'd think this should very much increase attendance in Magic Mountain.

Keep in mind that Los Angeles is an extremely touristy area. As long as Magic Mountain can keep this record, they will have a much easier time convincing people to visit Magic Mountain rather than Disneyland, Knott's, Universal, etc.

Since Cedar Point does not have any nearby competition, it really doesn't help them very much...

Keep in mind that many people go to Disney exactly because it is not a mecca for thrill rides. My sister hates coasters but she loves Disney. I, therefore, doubt that the number of coasters at Magic Mountain is going to make a difference in attendance at parks like Disneyland.

Just curious as to how the launch will work facing backwards? Think about how you will need to strain to hold your head against the headrest as you are launched.

I don't know about Six Flags as a whole, but I'd think this should very much increase attendance in Magic Mountain.

Keep in mind that Los Angeles is an extremely touristy area. As long as Magic Mountain can keep this record, they will have a much easier time convincing people to visit Magic Mountain rather than Disneyland, Knott's, Universal, etc.

Since Cedar Point does not have any nearby competition, it really doesn't help them very much...

I disagree about Disneyland vs Magic Mountain. 100 times out of 100 times I would go to Disneyland and I think the crowd that is attracted to Disney parks would generally make the same decision regardless of how many coasters SFMM has. See my trip report below you will understand why I say this. Even in LA tourists still flock to Disneyland, there is a reasson for this.

I think Cedar Point has gotten to hung up on coasters and thrill rides, as much as I like them, I would love to see them go retro every now and then and add something adult yet mild, with more of a classic feel, they have a bit of this already, but a new peaceful ride once in awhile would be nice, but I know the return is probably higher on the thrill ride.

I think Cedar Point has gotten to hung up on coasters and thrill rides, as much as I like them, I would love to see them go retro every now and then and add something adult yet mild, with more of a classic feel, they have a bit of this already, but a new peaceful ride once in awhile would be nice, but I know the return is probably higher on the thrill ride.

I disagree with this. I have said this so many times until I am blue in the face but Cedar Point has tons of other things other than coasters/thrill rides. There are not one, not two but three great children's areas. ( King Arthur's Court, Planet Snoopy, Camp Snoopy), not one but two antique car rides, the wonderful Cedar Downs ride,three great water rides, a great train, a giant ferris wheel, great shows, etc.

I disagree with this. I have said this so many times until I am blue in the face but Cedar Point has tons of other things other than coasters/thrill rides. There are not one, not two but three great children's areas. ( King Arthur's Court, Planet Snoopy, Camp Snoopy), not one but two antique car rides, the wonderful Cedar Downs ride,three great water rides, a great train, a giant ferris wheel, great shows, etc.

When's the last time you heard an average park guest describe Cedar Point and give the things you just listed as examples?

If you count Gemini as 2 coasters as they did in the past, CP and SFMM are tied at 18.

How is a re-working of Superman count as an addtition?

It doesn't. They were at 16 (15 if you don't count the currently non-working Superman). 16 plus 2 equals 18. Or 15 plus 3 = 18.

Next!

When's the last time you heard an average park guest describe Cedar Point and give the things you just listed as examples?

I am simply stating the facts-they are as they are. I cannot speak for how the other park guests describe CP although several of my friends who took their children to CP when they were young loved the children's areas. One of my friends liked the children's areas at CP better than the children's area at KI. And when I am at CP it looks to me that families with young children are having a darn good time. And before you say that CP doesn't market to such demographics, their brochures speak otherwise, for example, the cute picture of the father with his little girl on his shoulders.

Magic Mountain will see an increase in attendance, but it won't be because people don't want to visit Diseny. Remember that that's a completely different market of people.

And I'd have to disagree about Cedar Point's records not helping its popularity. Just because there aren't any nearby parks doesn't mean that it wouldn't make a difference. Remember, the majority of the people who visit Cedar Point are not locals, but people who have traveled there from all over the country and even from all over the world. Next year, I could see Cedar Point advertising to death that they are the "Best Amusment Park in the World" and that they have the "Number 1 Steel Coaster in the World".

Keep in mind that many people go to Disney exactly because it is not a mecca for thrill rides. My sister hates coasters but she loves Disney. I, therefore, doubt that the number of coasters at Magic Mountain is going to make a difference in attendance at parks like Disneyland.

I agree with you, there. Still, I can see Magic Mountain (one of my favorite Amusement Parks) getting much greater an edge over Disney's California Adventure than ever before. Both parks have a family-thrill base... But one of them is much larger than the other. (Not to mention Universal Hollywood also has a similar family-thrill base.)

On another note, I believe it would be a very good move on Six Flags Magic Mountain's park to market the natural beauty of the area. Truly stunning... In some ways, actually more beautiful than Disney World. (Seriously.)

Magic Mountain will see an increase in attendance, but it won't be because people don't want to visit Diseny. Remember that that's a completely different market of people.

And I'd have to disagree about Cedar Point's records not helping its popularity. Just because there aren't any nearby parks doesn't mean that it wouldn't make a difference. Remember, the majority of the people who visit Cedar Point are not locals, but people who have traveled there from all over the country and even from all over the world. Next year, I could see Cedar Point advertising to death that they are the "Best Amusment Park in the World" and that they have the "Number 1 Steel Coaster in the World".

You bring up interesting ideas, and I largely agree.

That being said, I'd be awfully careful if I were in charge of Cedar Point. Six Flags Magic Mountain will very likely try to snatch one, if not both of those awards... They certainly have the means to do so.

As a frequent visitor to SFMM, I agree with many that CP is still my favorite park but not by much. The scenary of both parks are quite stunning as well. Frankly, I prefer Magnum scenary as the best in the US. However, SFMM has much more diverse selection of coaster rides than CP: 4D, Flying, Floorless which are missing from CP line up.

CP and SFMM do not compete for same visitors. People go to CP and Sandusky area for thrill rides and the lake. People visit Los Angeles area for vastly different reasons. I know there are coaster fans who visit both parks, but how many of us are there? SF wanted the titles of "most coaster in one park" and "tallest coaster in the world".

SFMM now has the marketing advantage of having the most coasters. They actually got there even with getting rid of two rather bad rides in 2006 and 2007: Flashback and Psyclone. They replaced them with two really good coasters: Tatsu and Terminator. I am really enjoying the coaster war once again. I eagerly wait for the CP's response.

• 2 months later...

I can actually see this ride being considered a roller coaster. I mean, in concept it is no different than a ride like a Schwarzkopf shuttle coaster, just with a different conveyance system to power the train. Granted, if the first generation Intamin free fall rides were not considered roller coasters, why then should this be dubbed a roller coaster? Of course, there are all the Intamin shuttle coasters like Wicked Twister that do essentially the same thing as Superman: Escape from Krypton, and are considered roller coasters. So why shouldn`t this ride be considered a coaster?

I wonder if the new OTSR restraints will be like those found on Maverick, or the more vest like restraints found on Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion.

I wonder if the new OTSR restraints will be like those found on Maverick, or the more vest like restraints found on Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion.

I know Screamscape isn't always 100 % accurate, but this was posted several days ago, and they reference this picture from Tower of Terror 2 as possibly what Magic Mountain will do since Dreamworld had a similar issue:

(1/15/11) According to the latest rumor to come my way, a new monkey wrench may have been thrown into Intamin's latest project: Superman: Escape from Krypton. I'm not exactly sure where the exact problem area is, but I've been told that the new cars are apparently a little bit bigger. While they fit on the track just fine, the proper clearance envelope needed for an outstretched rider's arm to fit safely through the launch tunnel has now been compromised either on the sides or the top.

747755.jpg

http://screamscape.c...ic_mountain.htm

a massive cash influx, expansion at a Six Flags park... doesn't that usually mean that the park is within 5 years of being sold/closed/demolished?

Six Flags Worlds of Adventure in 2000/2001- sold in 2004, demolished in 2009'ish

Six Flags New Orleans- purchased 2003 (?)- closed 2005.

Six Flags AstroWorld- closed and demolished. 2005 (i think)

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (closed 2010).

Six Flags and the words "closed" and "demolished" seem to go hand in hand.

Your first three examples are two managements ago...the last one is one management ago. Current management is cost cutting, shutting shows, cutting hours and raising revenue for shareholders...Also, where is this massive investment you are talking about at Six Flags Magic Mountain? I don't see it...In fact, please name one installation of a new large coaster at Six Flags for 2011....Then again, please do the same for Cedar Fair....

Your first three examples are two managements ago...the last one is one management ago. Current management is cost cutting, shutting shows, cutting hours and raising revenue for shareholders...Also, where is this massive investment you are talking about at Six Flags Magic Mountain? I don't see it...In fact, please name one installation of a new large coaster at Six Flags for 2011....Then again, please do the same for Cedar Fair....

just being a sad sap because they have more coasters than our fair KI.

a little misplaced thought- I am going to miss the days of KI being the favored child. any "record breakers" will more than likely be built at the step-sibling to the north. going back years and imagining if CF owned KI since inception- Demon isn't built, Cobra isn't built, The Bat isn't, nor Vortex, Son of Beast, Flight of Fear... all record breakers at the time of construction (or so I think).