Holy downtime Batman.

Dieseltech20

Yeah, I have a few friends who visited Kings Island for opening day (their first time ever - we Northeast Ohioans don't typically make it down) and has said she probably wouldn't return... Crypt, Backlot, Firehawk, Beast... All were closed on opening day from her experience, and Flight of Fear was (according to her) one of the few rides that opened when the park did. A shame! I've convinced her to give it another go with me next summer. ;)

Not to mention that Paramount would often market some of those dry run days as "Season Pass Holder Preview" days. That way, the people weren`t paying specifically to visit the park for just one day, and would thus be disappointed with downtime. Pass holders could simply return another day. It also allowed kinks to be worked out that came with many people starting their first true day at their first job. And above all else, it allowed the park to market a special perk for pass holders, and these days were often quite crowded and the food stands often had lines.

Sounds like it has been rough day at KI! My husband and kids were at the park from noon until 6:00 today. He says it was insanely crowded. We're a little spoiled since our schedule often allows us to come at less busy times, but still...It took about 30 minutes just to get into the parking lot this morning, and the entire parking lot was full when they left. They only rode 4 rides (all kids/family rides) plus Howl-O-Fest. The line for The Beastie (uhh...Woodstock Express) was all the way to the bumper cars. He left without buying a 2011 Gold pass for our youngest (new pass because it's his first year that's not free) because the line was out into the parking lot when they arrived and when they left...the line to BUY the pass, not just process it. I REALLY wish we could get a new pass online!!!

Some friends said that last Saturday, they walked onto lots of rides, including The Beast. Guess this was just an unlucky weekend.

This is why a season pass is the ONLY way to go...no spending big bucks for just one day and risking big crowds, bad weather, or lots of downtime.

...This is why a season pass is the ONLY way to go...no spending big bucks for just one day and risking big crowds, bad weather, or lots of downtime.

For those who live quite some distance from the park, a day with big crowds, bad weather or lots of downtime is still not good...The season pass may lessen the bad taste left in the mouth, but it will not eliminate it...

...This is why a season pass is the ONLY way to go...no spending big bucks for just one day and risking big crowds, bad weather, or lots of downtime.

For those who live quite some distance from the park, a day with big crowds, bad weather or lots of downtime is still not good...The season pass may lessen the bad taste left in the mouth, but it will not eliminate it...

Kind of like my not so great adventure this year when it was crowded and 97 degrees before it rained.....

I went today. Did not ride Diamondback. Walked around 90% of the time. Parked way out past Top Gun!

Seen Gould Gone Wild. They are much better singers than the Signed Sealed Delivered and the other hoochie mama cast on the other side of the tower.

Rode the train. Had a cheese coney.

The big mess was single rider line at Diamondback. They were taking 20 people at a time. Someone said it took over an hour in the single rider line. Also, people were lining up behind single riders thinking it was the regular line.

I am so glad I got my 14 rides in on Friday night!

Wow. Vortex is usually one of the most reliable rides in the park.

These relatively off season weekends are hard for maintenance. Machinery likes to run every day, not sporadically.

We watched them testing Vortex and the train would leave the station and start a cycle just fine. Once it hit the brakes after the loops though, it would stop dead in its tracks.

Invertigo was packed and made a run just fine. Once it got back to the station they announced a technical delay and the ride would be back up soon.

As for the rest of our day at the park, once our friend and her killjoy boyfriend went there own way, it became much better. Took the wife on her first Vortex and Diamondback ride. She loved both rides but did not like the fly out of your seat feeling on DB, lol.

I went today. Did not ride Diamondback. Walked around 90% of the time. Parked way out past Top Gun!

Seen Gould Gone Wild. They are much better singers than the Signed Sealed Delivered and the other hoochie mama cast on the other side of the tower.

Rode the train. Had a cheese coney.

The big mess was single rider line at Diamondback. They were taking 20 people at a time. Someone said it took over an hour in the single rider line. Also, people were lining up behind single riders thinking it was the regular line.

I am so glad I got my 14 rides in on Friday night!

At one point, the single rider line for DB was almost back to the restrooms. I really think a lot of people thought it was the regular line. The main line for DB during the 5PM hour was back to the buffet. ( I can never remember the name of that place.) but I timed it at just 50 minutes. I wouldn't doubt if it took less time in the main line than the single rider line. Oh, won't people ever learn?

That buffet place is called Rivertown Junction.

Glad you had fun. It was a beautiful day, and today is even nicer!

Thanks, Terpie. Its mind boggling how I go to KI all the time and know the names of everything except Rivertown Junction. Maybe because in my mind it is still Wings Diner and, even earlier, Columbia Palace.

Yes today is nice, although high winds were causing an issue at the park. Drop Tower shut down due to high winds, as did Invertigo. And the Eiffel Tower was running in slow mode for a while due to the high winds.

I thought I saw you at the park today - I guess this answers that question.

Now if you tell me you didn't ride RFYLCB, then I guess I'll have to believe you have a twin out there somewhere.

Not me...Batman is a great ride...and I particularly miss the one where he accompanied Robin at Great Adventure...

(I have mental pictures of Dick Kinzel cringing every time someone mentions Kings Island and Batman in the same post!)

How about last week when I heard Batman score by Elfman at CP?