Did Kings Island ever use this commercial?

Delirium13

I was on YouTube when I randomly came across this video:

I don't recall ever seeing this before and I don't think they ever used the slogan, "Choose Your Adventure." Does anyone know if this was ever used by the park or if this group, Holland Advertising, who posted the video, just make it as a suggestion?

Either way I like it.

^^Thank you! For some reason I cannot remember it at all, and it's not that old of a commercial, 2003 at the oldest. I like it a lot better than the "Fun and Only" commercials, does a nice job of showing off the thrill side of the park and the family/kiddie side of the park.

Marketing the park as a well-rounded experience that includes both thrills and family entertainment, instead of creating a dichotomy and trying to present the park as two separate, conflicting things? What a crazy idea!

I love this commercial! Alas, no Tomb Raider, but such is life.

This is going to show my age...but this is one of my most memorable videos of KI from back in the day. This song ran through my head more times than I could count...

Wow, that's cool.

What is that yellow stand up coaster in the video?

King Cobra. It was one of my favorites.

This is going to show my age...but this is one of my most memorable videos of KI from back in the day. This song ran through my head more times than I could count...

Wow, that's cool.

What is that yellow stand up coaster in the video?

King Cobra. It was one of my favorites.

The YELLOW stand up coaster in the video (:41) is not King Cobra. It's actually footage of Shockwave at Kings Dominion, I believe. If I recall, Sockwave had it's loop painted yellow for a while prior to the park re-painting the coaster with it's current light-purple color. (Originally when Shockwave opened, the track was dark blue and the rails yellow... I believe.)

King Cobra is possibly shown earlier in the video. It's the clip of the riders coming towards the camera and the train tilts sideways at the :30 mark. You can verify it's possibly King Cobra (not just because of the trains) but because KI's version featured the side-leaning trick track (Shockwave doesn't have that.) However there's a possibility it could be Skyrider... a duplicate of KI's King Cobra at Wonderland. It also features the side-ways trick track, however to my knowledge, it's always had red/orange restraints. What throws me are the trees in the background and the people standing directly next to the trick track element. King Cobra did not have a path next to the trick track. Skyrider does.

Shaggy

Edit: In addition, I believe the shot of the Smurf with the kids under the "rainbow" to be filmed at Wonderland. So the clips of the rides an attractions in the park are obviously a conglomeration of clips from all 3 Keco parks.

See, even back in 1993, they were mixing in footage from other parks, ie Top Gun doesn`t invert, but the footage they showed indicated an inverted coaster with inversions.

I still love the slogan "Where the magic of the movies meets the thrills of a lifetime." Although, "Kings Island: The Fun and Only" has grown on me a little bit. It is better than "Where Else?" In response to that question, I like to say "Coney Has It." But would that really allow people to "Come on, get Happy?" Maybe since "The Best in Hollywood Entertainment: Now Playing" is no longer playing, people can go to Coney Island "Where fun is easy."

Another hint that the stand-up in the commercial is indeed Shockwave is the showing of Delirium in the ad-Delirium was installed after Cobra was taken out. And, yes, in the Paramount years, they routinely showed rides from other parks, like Anaconda at Kings Dominion. Also, notice that Cedar Fair is doing the same thing. For example, on the bus display at Haunt opening,there is a photo of CP's Mean Streak.

See, even back in 1993, they were mixing in footage from other parks, ie Top Gun doesn`t invert, but the footage they showed indicated an inverted coaster with inversions.

I still love the slogan "Where the magic of the movies meets the thrills of a lifetime." Although, "Kings Island: The Fun and Only" has grown on me a little bit. It is better than "Where Else?" In response to that question, I like to say "Coney Has It." But would that really allow people to "Come on, get Happy?" Maybe since "The Best in Hollywood Entertainment: Now Playing" is no longer playing, people can go to Coney Island "Where fun is easy."

i'm still partial to "come smell the funnel cakes".

Or, as has been pointed out elsewhere, advertisements for Kings Island`s WindSeeker, including a full page color ad in the Cincinnati Enquirer, have included a rendering of the ride at Cedar Point (including a view of the lake and Top Thrill Dragster). That would be understandable if there was no rendering for Kings Island`s WindSeeker, but there is a rendering for KI`s.

Right. But that was in a time when computer generated renderings were unheard of. Cedar Fair/KI clearly paid for the rendering to the ride in its Kings Island location. Just seems odd, that other than the KI website, they haven`t really promoted WindSeeker with the KI graphics. I`m still rather shocked that there are NO in park advertisements for the new ride in 2011. They are advertising 2011 season passes, but even those do not mention the new ride. Seems kind of like a missed opportunity to me.

..... " What throws me are the trees in the background and the people standing directly next to the trick track element. King Cobra did not have a path next to the trick track. Skyrider does."

Shaggy

Shaggy,

I think that actually is Kings Island. I suspect that the path and people you see there are not next to the trick track, but much further in the background: before the airtime hill (after the helix).

As I recall, this path (really a bridge) was the ride exit and led to the gift shop.

I remember standing there and watching the train rocket out of the helix, and laughing at the funny looks on the riders faces. Whoooooooooosssshhhhh!!!!!

I never tried it, but it was so close that I always wondered if I could hi-five a rider.

Edit: now that I look at the video again, I don't remember those tall trees there either. So it might not be King Cobra after all.

^ I was thinking kind of the same thing, but about the entrance. The queue line started on the left side of the lift hill, took a right turn and went under the lift, then continued on the opposite side of the station. I was thinking those people are in the queue to ride it, which would have been further back than the trick track section. To me it didn't look like they were next to the trick track, but off behind it.

I don't remember the exit setup too well (besides the fact that it dumped you inside the gift shop for years, which it didn't always do IIRC), but from that camera angle I think the exit would have been just on the other side of the queue, which is why I think those people are waiting to ride rather than exiting.

Right. But that was in a time when computer generated renderings were unheard of. Cedar Fair/KI clearly paid for the rendering to the ride in its Kings Island location. Just seems odd, that other than the KI website, they haven`t really promoted WindSeeker with the KI graphics. I`m still rather shocked that there are NO in park advertisements for the new ride in 2011. They are advertising 2011 season passes, but even those do not mention the new ride. Seems kind of like a missed opportunity to me.

You really have to search for it on the park's website, too. It seems to have been taken completely off the "front" page. Strange.

This is the one that always sticks out from my childhood :)

I wish someone could turn up the original promo for Adventure Express. Thats one of the more memorable commercials for me!

~Josh