crypt closed?

lopan

i noticed crypt was closed both times i went this month,whats up with that seems like it fits with the theme of haunt :-) maybe they working on upgrading it? wishful thinking

I heard other people asking why it is closed since it does fit the theme, from a few people at the park when I was there a few weeks ago.These were first time haunt people. My # 1 guess would be cost savings, not operating the ride saves them money to operate the haunts. That is just my guess. On another note I did notice that the scrambler was in operation this year. This has been a haunt queue over the past few year. My wife and I got a ride on that a few Fridays ago! Appreciated that change!

I did tweet at the park a few weeks ago and ask if The Crypt was closed for the rest of the season (because as sad as it sounds, that would cause me to not return this year with some first-timers). The responded with the following:

We were hopeful the ride would re-open before the end of the season, but we're running out of time with just two weekends left.

So maybe it's broken, maybe they closed it on purpose. Either way, I doubt they were going out of their way to get it running again. If it was broken, I truly, truly doubt that they had mechanics hammering away at it. I think that "we're running out of time to get it running" means they shut off the lights, closed the garage door, and hope for the best next spring.

Besides, like Terpy said elsewhere, the sporadic operation of the rides during these weekend operations are taking a toll! Vortex, Beast, Flight of Fear, Backlot... All have been closed on and off over the Halloween season, probably since they're not used to being turned on, then off, then on, then off, with no warming up or cooling down. Imagine if our already overly sensitive Crypt was exposed to the same operation...

is it just me or does it seem that CF has essentially given up on the Crypt. It is a mere spec of what it was as Tomb Raider. The que line for that was almost worth the wait and made you think you were in line for a ride at Universal Studios Florida (OK maybe that's a stretch).

So true... Consider the fact that a seasonal park, in Ohio had what Tomb Raider had. Even if most of the really good effects only lasted for a year, it was still an incredible accomplishment. It's hard for me to get my friends to wrap their heads around the idea that a ride with fog, theatrical, synchronized lighting, water effects, an eighty foot goddess, sparks, synchronized & specially-composed music, and a pre-show were truly present in that park. The whole park just has a whole different atmosphere to me.

It's hard to believe that the Kings Island of today is the same park that once had a ride so well themed, it deserved its Travel Channel specials, and enthusiast praise, and national attention. Today's park is just different, for better and worse. For me, Tomb Raider (and the lack thereof) is what makes it so different.

i noticed crypt was closed both times i went this month,whats up with that seems like it fits with the theme of haunt :-) maybe they working on upgrading it? wishful thinking

No one's really missing out on anything. Let's face it, the ride sucks, no matter how KI wants to try and spin it on their twitter and facebook accounts. I find the fact that it got "more riders" recently attributed to the fact that the cycle is much shorter than it was in the past and its true... the ride does seem to break down a lot less. That's understandable considering it doesn't do much. However, on a Saturday night while The Beast, Firehawk and Diamondback all have long lines, you can pretty much walk right into the Crypt right past the crumbling theme, trash scattered around and wallpaper falling down straight onto the ride. There's rarely a line anymore.

Cedar Fair has made it evident that all they wanted was for the ride to work. They kind of got their wish... it works, somewhat more often than it did. However, the interior of the building looks awful, the ride area looks awful. You ride the ride and can clearly see the massive amounts of trash, change, stains and loose articles that litter the floor. You can even look out before the ride starts and see the maintenance area in all it's glory and the crap they store in there. I gotta say, those 50 gallon drums provide a nice touch! The way that company treats the Crypt seems to go against their "cornerstone" of cleanliness. With how much cosmetic work and landscaping CF has brought to KI it baffles me that they think guests don't notice how bad of shape The Crypt is in. Then I think of Disaster Transport and I'm not all that surprised.

Theming isn't everything and the ride could have a decent experience if they just gave two s***ts instead of two cents.

is it just me or does it seem that CF has essentially given up on the Crypt. It is a mere spec of what it was as Tomb Raider. The que line for that was almost worth the wait and made you think you were in line for a ride at Universal Studios Florida (OK maybe that's a stretch).

You prove a good point, it seems they have given up. The ride still faces mechanical difficulties and lets be honest... when it works, its not that great of an experience. My guess is, if they throw in the towel, you'll see them keep that building around for storage and such and turn the queue/ride area into some kind of crappy walk through maze for the white trash bash... I mean Halloween Haunt.

Seems to be KI's mentality these days... lets take rides that are broken or no one rides anymore and just fill the space with spray painted plywood and teenagers who say boo while attracting only the finest clientele.

Guest TombraiderTy

Half of the Skyline Patio tables have been removed, and that is where the queue for Massacre Manor is (or, at least, a good chunk of it).

Caution: This post is filled with opinions.

All things considered, one can't help but feel a sense of pity and, dare I say, shame for our Giant Top Spin. It's like, yes, it's a laughing stock. But unlike famous flubs (Drachen Fire), mismarketed attractions (Th13teen), good ideas with poor execution (Son of Beast), and rides that seemed unnecessary and boring from the start (Shoot the Rapids 2), the ride we have today really did once operate as a sort of "pinnacle" for seasonal parks. It used to be intense. It used to be without a question the best-themed ride in Ohio. It used to be the most expensive ride at Paramount's Kings Island (tied with that good idea with poor execution). In my opinion, if it were to be built from scratch as it is today, it might top off at half of it's original cost (probably less, what with the lack of musical score, lack of pre-show, lack of lighting, lack of fog, lack of water, etc).

It's the ultimate example of a ride that fails almost entirely because of its owner's lack of interest in keeping it maintained. If it were a priority, or if they had seen how it used to be, they might say it's worth it to invest in it - even with it's lame cycle, it is an intense, unique, one-of-a-kind, mysterious ride. Even adding one more flip would make it better from a "thrill" point of view. But as a whole, it's as much as testament to Cedar Fair's operating style as its 200 foot neighbor. The two rides, despite coming within inches of each other, demonstrate the best and the worst of Cedar Fair's commitment to Kings Island, and the direction in which they wish to take the park in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Crypt is quietly closed this off-season. I don't know that anyone would deny that it's more trouble than it's worth. I doubt that many would give more than a cursory glance to the shuttered entrance, and those who did make note would probably just go "Oh, The Crypt is finally closed. About time."

I personally enjoy the ride, even as it is today. But it's over-hyped with the thrill rating of 5, it's upstaged by it's two neighbors (both of whom are enourmous, record-breaking, signature rides for the park) and worst of all, it will always be compared to the ride that it once was. And as the years post-Tomb-Raider become greater and greater, the former ride is more and more romanticized. It rarely opened, most of its effects were shuttered by year 3, and it was uncomfortable to say the least. But it's remembered fondly because of what has replaced it, and as the years pass, people will remember more and more of the good about it, and less and less of the bad. It's what's happening with Son of Beast right now, to an extent. Suddenly people are coming out of the woodwork to say they enjoyed it. And it wasn't even that great to begin with. Tomb Raider, though...

I think it's time to say goodbye to The Crypt. I had a discussion on Facebook this week about how Cedar Fair has not removed any ride for expansions as Paramount was

notorious for. That is true, but I believe The Crypt has passed it's shelf life. It was a lemon to start with. If it could go back to its 2008 programming, it would be a wonderful

ride that I would ride every visit. Just going up and over in the dark, and a couple of flips as it did this year, is just flat out BORING! I don't even ride it when you can walk

on. I rode it twice this year. Once for morbid curiosity to see if it was still that bad, and the other to show someone else how boring and bad it is. As was mentioned, it was

a good idea with poor execution. Even when it was removed and reprofiled and put back up, it was no good. Apparently, that great program it had in 08 destroyed it. If there was

anyway to make it better, I'd be all for it. I'd want it removed from its current location, though. I think it should just be an outside flat ride and moved over the old Action Zone

area where that useless water tower is. Then the box its in can either be used for maybe an indoor spinning mouse or just torn down and have the land available for maybe

an Intamin coaster like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt.

A certain maverick of a roller coaster that is highly regarded by many.

As an aside, I noticed while riding Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, aka the Kings Mills Log Flume, that the supports for the final lift and drop have been painted a fresh coat of green paint. I rode this ride early in the season, and seem to recall that these supports were covered in rust and peeling paint. It was nice to see the fresh paint (even though fresh paint does not mean a ride is here to stay forever, as Kings Cobra was painted and removed a few seasons after it was painted. On the subject of peeling paint, I also noticed on Sunday that one of the beams on Diamondback`s exit ramp has peeling paint, exposing rust. This is unfortunately visible from the queue of Diamondback!