Cold Weather Closures

Citak

From what I've heard from the folks at Busch Gardens Williamsburg during their Christmastown event, B&M recommends that its rides operate only in weather conditions 41 degrees or greater. I don't have a way to verify that or anything, but that's what I was told about Griffon's operation during the event. Take it for what it's worth.

I know the rides can operate in many different weather conditions, and many do. But there are also manufacturers recommendations (which, in Ohio at least, are as good as requirements), and I would guess some systems (hydraulic launches, maybe?) are far more volatile in certain weather conditions...

^ No.

Actually yes. Kings Island and many other parks have minimum temperatures that certain coasters have to follow before they operate for the day. If the ride has been running all day it's typically not a problem, however if its below the temperature (depending on the coaster) minimum in the morning, the ride may not open until it warms up.

^ No.

Actually yes. Kings Island and many other parks have minimum temperatures that certain coasters have to follow before they operate for the day. If the ride has been running all day it's typically not a problem, however if its below the temperature (depending on the coaster) minimum in the morning, the ride may not open until it warms up.

Right, that's what they'd said at Busch Gardens Christmastown - basically, the park didn't open till 3:00 most days, so if it looked like it was going to hover around 40 - 45, they didn't even bother testing it, thus making it very very unlikely that it would open regardless of how the temperature might improve throughout the day. Especially because, as per the manufacturer's recommendations that they mentioned to me, it would be pretty silly to open the ride when it's 45 degrees if you don't think it can even be open for very long... I mean, if the ride can technically open at 41 degrees, I wouldn't expect it to open until it gets more near 50... And if it doesn't look like it'll get to fifty, they don't bother at all.

Of course, Christmasdown is a different animal, what with the late opening and most of the event happening in the dark (which, obviously, is quite a bit colder than the early afternoon anyway). Of course, last December was also a different animal from the usual Virginia weather.

^ No.

The poster asked about 50°, not a minimum temperature.

Thus the answer to his question(s) is still....

No.

^ No.

The poster asked about 50°, not a minimum temperature.

Thus the answer to his question(s) is still....

No.

Actually yes... again... When I worked on Top Gun in 2004, we always had to wait until it was 50 degrees prior to opening. There are different rules for wooden coasters and steel coasters. That same year we only had to wait until it was 45 to open Son of Beast. I remember quite a few mornings, waiting in the Top Gun drive box to get a call saying it was officially 50 degrees while the SOB was already running.

I believe we had to do the same thing when I worked on Vortex in 03. I'm trying to remember if Italian Job was the same way. I moved to TRTR in the fall of 05 so I never got to spend cold mornings at IJ. Gordon do you recall the minimum opening temp for Back Lot?

I'm trying to remember if Italian Job was the same way. I moved to TRTR in the fall of 05 so I never got to spend cold mornings at IJ. Gordon do you recall the minimum opening temp for Back Lot?

50 is the opening temperature too. I remember being ridiculed by a woman one morning because her younger daughter couldn't get on IJST right away. I explained the reason and she said I was lying because she claimed it had been open the previous week on time and it was colder than it was that particular morning.

AE was the same opening temperature too.

I'm trying to remember if Italian Job was the same way. I moved to TRTR in the fall of 05 so I never got to spend cold mornings at IJ. Gordon do you recall the minimum opening temp for Back Lot?

50 is the opening temperature too. I remember being ridiculed by a woman one morning because her younger daughter couldn't get on IJST right away. I explained the reason and she said I was lying because she claimed it had been open the previous week on time and it was colder than it was that particular morning.

AE was the same opening temperature too.

Don't you just love guests? XD

Perhaps some clarity is needed ...again.

The original poster mentioned the temperature dropping below 50, not starting the day's operation below 50. I have been present at the park numerous times at night where the temperature was well below 50 and the steel coasters operated.

Now, as was mentioned, if it is below 50 at the start of the day, the coaster would not operate until a temperature of 50 is reached.

Also, the temperature so far this year has not been an issue.

I've been to Cedar Point and ridden Millennium Force in the sleet. Many things closed through out that day, some things never opened... And I've been to Kings Island when the low for the night was 28º and the high was in the 30's.

Usually, as long as a ride has been running and is "warmed up" before the temp dropped, its good to go. That's why anyone waiting for the gates to open tonight would've seen Invertigo running empty over and over and over again.

I've been to Cedar Point and ridden Millennium Force in the sleet. Many things closed through out that day, some things never opened... And I've been to Kings Island when the low for the night was 28º and the high was in the 30's.

Usually, as long as a ride has been running and is "warmed up" before the temp dropped, its good to go. That's why anyone waiting for the gates to open tonight would've seen Invertigo running empty over and over and over again.

Somebody tell Dollywood! (Though the minimum operating temperature for Thunderhead had lowered over the years...first it was 40, then 38, then 36 and I believe I recently heard it was 34.....and yes, I have ridden Beast in snow...but that was long ago and with Paramount Parks...)

Don't you just love guests? XD

As one of our managers used to say...

"When guests come into the park, most of them check their brains at the front gate."

I hate to tell you this, but your manager was wrong. Having worked in Admissions for 10 years, I can assure you that many guests check their brains before getting to the front gate. My first year in Admissions (1995) we had Tolls too, and some guests had left them somewhere even before that point. :lol:

You assume that all of the guests even had one to start with. It is my theory that some of the people in the park and at the tolls and admissions plaza are just jerks everywhere they go...with Kings Island being no exception. I especially get furious with the obnoxious parents giving their poor children sheer terror demanding that "I paid Xty Ump Dollars and You WILL have fun or I am taking your rear end to the car and we will go home, understood?" And in a very threatening way is this said. I feel so sorry for the kids...and wonder if the parents, if they can even be called that, were treated the same way when they were kids.