I Spy Something Odd...

CoastersRZ

I snapped this picture at Kings Island tonight:

37933_790740582585_21403849_42234929_1093059_n.jpg

Any guesses to the ride that I snapped this from? Better yet, anyone have any guesses to what they are? I have a hunch, but will wait to see what others think. (There were a few other clues that I`ll refrain from sharing for now...)

It's pretty clear the picture was taken of Flight Deck, no other ride has that type and color (Or lack there of) support.

As to what those actually are, it's hard to tell. There's little in that picture to provide a size reference to them, but assuming those supports are the brake/transfer track supports, those look like they'd only be about waist high on a man, but it's difficult to say that with any certainty. Will have to see a better quality picture, or better yet, see it in person tomorrow.

Ok. Here is the other part of what I saw last night. There was a trailer parked near these items, which do look like man baskets. I also believe I saw some hose rolled up. I think it could be signs that Flight Deck is being painted. However, I too am cautiously optimistic for a few reasons. For one, the last time that the ride was painted, they started priming the ride before the end of the season. (As hard as it may be to believe, it was last painted for the 1999 season, so it could definitely use a fresh coat of paint. Secondly, with the coming winter months, the painting weather is not ideal (paint typically can`t be applied in sub freezing temperatures. Personally, I would love to see a completely new paint job on Flight Deck, one that looks similar to Nighthawk at Carowinds, would look wonderful on Flight Deck, in my opinion.

It would make sense to use suspended buckets instead of a typical lift because of the terrain around FD. These, plus a nearby trailer and hoses should mean she's ready for a good cleaning. Hopefully some new paint will go up shortly thereafter. If equipment was in place this weekend, I'd be shocked if they haven't started already.

Ok. Here is the other part of what I saw last night. There was a trailer parked near these items, which do look like man baskets. I also believe I saw some hose rolled up. I think it could be signs that Flight Deck is being painted. However, I too am cautiously optimistic for a few reasons. For one, the last time that the ride was painted, they started priming the ride before the end of the season. (As hard as it may be to believe, it was last painted for the 1999 season, so it could definitely use a fresh coat of paint. Secondly, with the coming winter months, the painting weather is not ideal (paint typically can`t be applied in sub freezing temperatures. Personally, I would love to see a completely new paint job on Flight Deck, one that looks similar to Nighthawk at Carowinds, would look wonderful on Flight Deck, in my opinion.

Saw in person today. As you say, in addition to the baskets, there is lots of hose, equipment, and the trailer. There was also at least one other personnel boom lift parked beyond the end of the lift hill.

In my opinion, even though the priming hadn't begun - I think the cleaning phase had begun (I'm wondering if there is more to it than just pressure washing). Might have to take some drives through the GWL parking lot this week!

After looking Nighthawk at Carowinds, I don't know if I would like to see Flight Deck in a bright yellow and blue color scheme. I would rather see it colored like Nighthawk was when it was Borg, black with maybe some green track. I could go for a bright blue track and black supports maybe. The important things is, if it does get a color scheme, it will look much better.

The color of wood? Why would they want to do that? That would be even duller than the current gray and silver color scheme that it is painted. And for the record, while there are some areas of rust showing through on the track, most of the light pink color is not in fact rust. It is just the faded red showing through the silver paint.