What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

I don't know about you, but I want my cancer surgeon to be 100 percent successful...same thing with an armed guard, and so on and so on. School standards have little to do with performance standards in the real world.

I read somewhere the other day a Med student with a 2.1 GPA is still called - Doctor! ohmy.gif

Might have a nick name of "Quack"

When I was in high school, an A was considered 93-100. My school district has since reworked the grading scale so that it is now 90-100 equates to an A. In college, I worked my butt off, which allowed me to get automatic acceptance into grad school, as well as a scholarship. In grad school, the standards were more stringent and as others said, there was no C grade. Anything less than a C was considered failing. And in my particular case, I had to maintain a B average to maintain my scholarship. (Not that I really had to worry since I graduated top in my class).

And on the subject of performance standards, would we really want something built at Kings Island that was within 60% of alignment when it was supposed to be 100%? I don`t think so. Tolerances in rides is measured in millimeters or less. There is little room for error. A few millimeters in the wrong direction, and certain components will not work. Its either 100% or 0% an nothing in between.

Jasper and I were waiting in line to ride Slingshot yesterday and overheard a patron having a conversation about SOB with a Kings Island employee. The employee stated that SOB was going to be torn down and in it's place, there was going to be an "enormous steel coaster" constructed for the 40th anniversary in 2012. I find that hard to believe with the given financial standing. Has anyone heard anything similar from a source a little more reliable than that guy???

Was this patron by any chance talking to a Dippin' Dots guy?

I wanted to do that joke. ( LOL.)

Even walking down the midway is statistically far, far more dangerous than riding the rides. So is getting in and out of the ride.

Reminds me of the time I stubbed my big toe getting onto Demon Drop. Ouch, that really hurt.

Over half the time they are reliable when they post something and I choose to believe them over wikipedia.

6 correct answers out of 10 is over half right.

Unfortunately, 60% is still failing.

Actually in a lot of schools today 60% is passing

What schools?

Classes that aren't curved at Ohio State, 60% is passing, 59% is failing. (Certain classes require a C- to move on to the next level though). Some classes raise the final grade by a certain percentage point total, which still would follow that 60% passing, 59% failing.

Over half the time they are reliable when they post something and I choose to believe them over wikipedia.

6 correct answers out of 10 is over half right.

Unfortunately, 60% is still failing.

Actually in a lot of schools today 60% is passing

What schools?

Any public school, secondary included.

59% and below is failing.

In my grade school, 69% was failing. In high school, I believe it was 64%. Of course, the letter associated with any given percentage isn't really even of any real significance unless you're talking about GPA (which is somewhat inconsequential in grade school & high school).

What schools?

Any public school, secondary included.

59% and below is failing.

any public school isn't correct, the school i go to if you have below a 67% you're failing; the lowest b is an 85% and the lowest a is a 93%.

So technically he is right 59% is failing, but in your school so is 60-67%.

When is the Texas Giant going to be completed with the new metal track? I wonder if it works out really good if SOB will get the same attention then? We will see in the future next year then I guess :huh:

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I will be quite frank. I really hope Kings Island doesn't do to SOB what is being done to Texas Giant. The Texas Giant will no longer be a wooden

coaster, rather a hybrid steel. Son of Beast is a WOODEN coaster, and it should remain a WOODEN coaster! There's things that can be done to that coaster and track to make it more

rideable. The only part that was not so good was the Rose Bowl, and it just pulls too many G's and goes the wrong direction there. The rest of the coaster is just great. Taking off the loop

was an extremely dumb idea of course. That was the best part of the ride. It's rotting away in Geauga Lake's junk yard, or last time I was there, I saw it. It may be history by now. I have to

believe they are going to consider some fixes for the coaster. I would think as long as it has sat there, if they were going to tear it down, it would be gone by now. They must be considering

a way to fix it. It would be a waste of money, wood, and time to tear it down. That would be in the top 5 of their worst mistakes ever to get rid of it.

The typical park guest couldn't care less whether the coaster that they either just loved or hated was/is steel, wood, paper or plastic. To them, it is either a worthwhile fun-filled experience, or it is not. And parks, for the most part, couldn't care less what enthusiasts think of their rides. There are some notable exceptions, like Holiday World and Knoebel's, but exceptions they are, and even they don't care nearly as much about what enthusiasts think as most enthusiasts seem to think they do ...

Understand, too, that prior management at Six Flags committed to the Texas Giant makeover. I highly doubt management there today would have done such a thing.

Certain people believe Son of Beast's revival would be a very poor decision. All of the money it would take... While Cedar Fair Entertainment Company is still deep in the red.

There are many more debt conscious ideas for new attractions. Some of which, *I* find more marketable than Son of Beast will ever be. See the WindSeekers... Or Planet Snoopy... (Edit: Both, close to the marketability of Son of Beast, but not quite there. Certain attractions in that very same price range would be even more marketable, at least by my observation.)

Do not forget there is a cost to reopen Son of Beast, but there is also a cost if it is not. If it is not, it must, at least eventually, be dismantled, and that cost will not be a trifle, to put it mildly...

There is even a cost to be borne when that decision, if that be the decision, is announced....if it is announced. Why would you announce such a thing, as opposed to just doing that which needed to be done?

Why would you announce such a thing, as opposed to just doing that which needed to be done?

Depends on what "needs" to be done.

The new, steel-tracked, inverting Son of Beast: Reborn provides for a marketing extravaganza. It would be insanity to re-track, re-profile, and re-outfit the track in steel, get new trains, re-break world records, and then simply open it as if nothing were different. Now, if there's just a little structural work and new trains (under which circumstances, I doubt that the ride would re-open), then sure, just open it as if nothing's different. But the more noticeable change that goes into it, the more marketing can (and arguably should) be done.