What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Every sentence of the post you replied to, except the first one (and only the first part of even it), was about what happens if it is decided not to refurbish Son of Beast. Again, I ask, why on earth would the park announce such a decision? If I were marketing the park, I wouldn't, until a replacement ride is announced. Then and only then I MIGHT mention it would be in the area formerly occupied by Son of Beast. I am not even sure I would do that....

Cedar Fair, with the purchase of Kings Island got a bad situation. There is no easy fix... And every positive fix has some very negative side effects, so to say.

In all honesty, I couldn't think of anything better than just leaving Son of Beast standing but not operating until the funds become available to do something lacking in negative effect. Yes, its putting the problem aside for later, but hopefully Cedar Fair will come out of its debt strong and ready to deal with such mess... Eventually...

Yes, Terpy, reading your post again, I see that you were talking about if demolition is the thing which needs to be done... If so, it's true that there isn't a reason to announce anything. But people are not stupid, and I think one of the main problems I personally have with Cedar Fair (and granted, they've done a lot of good) is this veil they put over everything they do - the customer; the park guest; the investor, is always the last to know.

Look at Intimidator 305. Something is happening to it. And not even a gesture on Twitter, or Facebook, or Youtube, where Busch Gardens or Disney or Six Flags would already be hinting at changes to come, and poking fun at the issues of last season in anticipation of something greater. The same can be said of the dead silence around Geauga Lake, or Son of Beast, or 5@5... How quickly do they think we forget about these things? How oblivious do they think we are? Rides simply disappearing from maps, track disassembled in the off-season, out-of-the-blue deletion of the 5@5 without so much as a reason, early-season closures, and not a single word, official or otherwise, spoken from the park. Not asking for a press-release or a big to-do. Just an update for those who care that "Yeah, we know this ride has sat motionless for two years... We don't have much news to share, but we're working on it." An admission that they recognize the ride's existence would calm many of us, no matter which side of the battle you're on.

Even a Twitter joke like "Things are gonna be a little less bumpy in 2012!" or "The son is setting early after that time change!" It's something Six Flags, Disney, and Universal do frequently (along with in-park scavenger hunts, giveaways, prizes, and viral marketing). Cedar Fair, in comparison, comes across as a bureaucracy that doesn't need, want, or care about connecting with visitors on a personal level. And maybe it is.

But one of the major things Cedar Fair has always been criticized for is its technology being in the dark ages, both in the park, and at home. Our website was all but obsolete until last spring, and many of our sister parks still are. The technology has hindered many here from accessing parks that they have paid to gain access to. Parking is handled by a haywire system that required me to pay to park at a certain Cedar Fair park, take my receipt to customer service, wait in line, get verified, and get my money back. While most every other chain has fingerprint readers, Cedar Fair park-goers get to sign tickets with a pen.

But the issue is that that continues out of the parks and into the home market. As we saw with 5@5, Cedar Fair does not see the internet as a way of connecting to or maintaining a fan base. We are as much a nuisance as anything else, with our con-flabbit in-depth, critical questioning. While most every other chain has fun videos of top-ranking park officials dropping hints about new rides with fun animation (see, Cheetah Hunt) or promotes their park to fans with in-park scavenger hunts and giveaways and concerts (Six Flags), Cedar Fair refuses to participate. And when they do get personal, or make a joke, or say something "off the record," it's immediately retracted.

And yes, it's coming from the insecurity at the top. So the top needs to change. Doubt many would disagree.

So, consider that mindset, if it be accurate, and think...what decision do you think that group of decision makers would reach on Son of Beast? When would they announce it? What would happen next? These are merely thought provoking questions. No inference as to any decision made or not made is meant to be made here...only questions to stimulate thought. And, one more. What would Q think?

But one of the major things Cedar Fair has always been criticized for is its technology being in the dark ages, both in the park, and at home. Our website was all but obsolete until last spring, and many of our sister parks still are. The technology has hindered many here from accessing parks that they have paid to gain access to.

But who is criticizing; enthusiasts or the once per year guest (aka general public)?

If the issues (and I do agree they are issues) affects enough guests, it would certainly be solved quickly. If it only affects only a handful of guests (those being season pass holders that have already paid their hard earned money) the issue is considered acceptable from the 50,000' view.

CF has to prioritize where money is being spent. I quickly learned this when I owned my business. At one point, I had enough money to fix one of two issues. Either spend the money on refurbishing the draft beer system or refurbishing the A/C system. Draft beer only affects a small handful of people whereas the A/C affects everyone. It was an easy decision, yet, the draft beer drinkers were not happy.

I think Kings Island just needs to do whatever it has to do to get the coaster up and running by the next operating season! Even if they have to re-appropriate money

from some other area (like Haunt) to do it, it needs to be reopened! It really does no good for it to sit there and look like a friggen statue or monument! It's a roller coaster,

and it just causes all kinds of questions like this thread and others elsewhere, like on FB the one about Save SOB to happen! If they are tired of people speculating and asking

about it, they need to do something about it! They need to get whoever they can find, like some wood coaster company to come out and do an evaluation of what needs to be

done and then get on it and do it! It's sat idle for almost 2 years, and we've been denied the opportunity to ride it. That's not right. As my band director in high school used to say

when you were doing something wrong, "Just Fix It!" Kings Island, JUST FIX IT!

And FUN is not going to divert money from a highly profitable and heavily attended Haunt to fix a roller coaster whose absence cannot be seen to have affected attendance one iota in the past couple of seasons...If Mr. Kinzel approved doing something that industrial strength dumb, Q would have all of his offices by the end of the year...not just attempt to separate the Chairman and CEO positions...

I think Kings Island just needs to do whatever it has to do to get the coaster up and running by the next operating season! Even if they have to re-appropriate money

from some other area (like Haunt) to do it, it needs to be reopened! It really does no good for it to sit there and look like a friggen statue or monument! It's a roller coaster,

and it just causes all kinds of questions like this thread and others elsewhere, like on FB the one about Save SOB to happen! If they are tired of people speculating and asking

about it, they need to do something about it! They need to get whoever they can find, like some wood coaster company to come out and do an evaluation of what needs to be

done and then get on it and do it! It's sat idle for almost 2 years, and we've been denied the opportunity to ride it. That's not right. As my band director in high school used to say

when you were doing something wrong, "Just Fix It!" Kings Island, JUST FIX IT!

They could be doing just that, or are counting their losses and coming up with a plan for removal. Just cause an announcement has not been made does not mean anything is not going on....

Maybe they are going to use WindSeeker contingency money or the next big install money to fund such a fix or demolition. It comes down to money.

And just to be clear, I am not saying that Son of Beast is going or staying. I AM saying that to divert money from Haunt for Son of Beast, whether for reconstruction or dismantling, would be the height of stupidity.

I agree, I think the funding sources I mentioned is more practical. I could be wrong!

Just realize that that ride has been reprofiled, braked, and was in the process of being retracked (yet again) when a portion of it caught fire near the end of the season. It is far from a comfortable ride, and many consider it virtually unrideable in any seat other than the front. And, unlike Son of Beast, it is visible from the Chairman and CEO's yard....

Just realize that that ride has been reprofiled, braked, and was in the process of being retracked (yet again) when a portion of it caught fire near the end of the season. It is far from a comfortable ride, and many consider it virtually unrideable in any seat other than the front. And, unlike Son of Beast, it is visible from the Chairman and CEO's yard....

I don't hear as much about it, but I have only ridden that ride once when I was 15 and I am 30 now. I can't say I remember the ride at all. I was not a coaster enthusiast then.

• 3 weeks later...

No, I'm sorry but just no.

Anyways, has this not been posted? (From Screamscape)

(11/24/10) Is there a glimmer of hope for Son of Beast? Well… not for 2011, but according to an anonymous source who was at IAAPA last week, they claim to have overhead a conversation between someone from Cedar Fair and the Rocky Mountain guys about possibly doing work on Son of Beast in the future. Of course this may be every coaster fanboys dream rumor being talked about as well... so take this with a grain of salt until we hear something more serious.

Texas Giant looks like fun though, right?

5220103484_65e9be35a9.jpg

From TPR. Many more pictures of the New Texas Giant is on that site.

No, I'm sorry but just no.

Anyways, has this not been posted? (From Screamscape)

(11/24/10) Is there a glimmer of hope for Son of Beast? Well… not for 2011, but according to an anonymous source who was at IAAPA last week, they claim to have overhead a conversation between someone from Cedar Fair and the Rocky Mountain guys about possibly doing work on Son of Beast in the future. Of course this may be every coaster fanboys dream rumor being talked about as well... so take this with a grain of salt until we hear something more serious.

Texas Giant looks like fun though, right?

5220103484_65e9be35a9.jpg

From TPR. Many more pictures of the New Texas Giant is on that site.

how would that look fun i am a true wooden person. if i whated to ride a steel i would ride a steel but if i what to ride a wooden then i will ride it! i look for that great feeling you can only get on a woodie and i would hate to see my favorite coaster being changed!!! why dont they just open it up again this year and close it when they what to change?

Welcome to KIC Son of Beast214

They aren't going to open it for 2011, just won't happen. I'm guessing a reason that they wouldn't open it then close it when they want to change it is because of the cost, liability, and many other factors. Not to mention, people would grumble even more, "The park opened SOB for 2011 and then they closed it the next year to do ___ to it." It wouldn't sit well with the public.

It is closed because the General Manager of KI is not satisfied witht he ride experience and has stated that SOB will not open until he is.

I don't care what the structure of a coaster is...they all offer unique ride experiences. Currently, a hybrid is at least tied for my favorite coaster.

With all due respect, how can the new Texas Giant not look fun?

3rdturn.jpg

sfot_11_4.jpg

• Like 1