What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

$8 million for a guaranteed grassy field, or $15 for a shot at a successful roller coaster."

With the millions already spent at the numerous other "shots" I am hard pressed to agree that another $15,000,000 is acceptable.

Given the history of money already spent (and using your numbers) $8,000,000 for deconstruction is cheap.

From what i've read, and the way i'm reading it, a few of us are just looking at an immediate fix for SoB. $8 million to raze it or $15 million to fix it. All theoretical numbers of course. My thought is what happens if the park spends the $15 million to "fix" it and then 2 years down the road something happens to close the ride for good. In that scenario the park would be spending $15 million for the fix and then another $8 million to raze it resulting in $23 million in work. I've never been a fan of SoB. Best ride i've ever had on it was after the loop was removed. As much as I would like to see SoB come back in a better form, I foresee it hitting the scrap heap before anything else.

-Steve "Just my 2 cents" S.

People speculating on Son of Beast need to realize that Cedar Fair is a business, one that does not solely rely on the business of the enthusiast community whose opinions do not reflect the company's best business interests.

Well said, and we are in total agreement here. In fact, that is exactly how I am looking at the situation. What would be the most cost efficient and long-term beneficial to the park as a whole? That is the answer to what is going to happen to SOB. I'm not so sure I would call myself a SOB enthusiast, it's probably just the opposite.

And to use a real number not pulled from anyone's ass, New Texas Giant cost approximately $10 million to complete, so that is a ballpark of how much this type of work costs.

The real "unknown" in the equation is how much money it would cost to demolish SOB. Whether this would be included/rolled over in the "purchase" of a new ride or not, the cost would still be there.

On the news today they were showing something about the jobs at Kings Island and in the video it had the SOB testing . I don't know if it was a recent video, but I just thought I'd share it.

And somewhere in the greater Cincy area, a KI exec sits back chuckling at the footage knowing that the rumors will be running rampant in the enthusiast online community.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to post on Facebook that SoB will now be open this summer due to the footage.

On the news today they were showing something about the jobs at Kings Island and in the video it had the SOB testing . I don't know if it was a recent video, but I just thought I'd share it.

And somewhere in the greater Cincy area, a KI exec sits back chuckling at the footage knowing that the rumors will be running rampant in the enthusiast online community.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to post on Facebook that SoB will now be open this summer due to the footage.

Giving that it's butt cold in Ohio, i don't see any coasters/rides testing at all due to either the cars being off track or getting worked on. So the video has to be old. The news stations keep videos of everything they shoot incase they use it for something. Unless the park comes out and says they are testing and will open SOB this year, i don't see it as true. You have to have common sense to know a coaster or ride won't test in the dead of winter. Lol. Besides, before it even tests, the state has to inspect the ride for everything. And i don't see the state or Kings Island walking the coaster this time of year.

why would it be better waiting?

Because you don't want to jump the gun and do something that wouldn't benefit the ride. It takes time to plan things and I don't think the answer will be coming anytime soon.

While I agree with you to a point, you have to remember we are approaching this ride being closed voluntarily for two years. (The ride was cleared after the last incident.) There is a point where we just want to know what is going to happen with it. It seems like they are taking more time to fix it then it took to construct this ride. (Which, in all honest, has to be a good thing... had the planning took more time, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation now.)

I just really want some answers. Not just another tweet that says "Son of Beast will not operate in 2011. That is all."

I was going to say something similar.

You're right...don't jump the gun, but if you can't make an educated decision in 2 years, you are incompetent. Just a "wild" guess, but I think it's safe to be confident that at some point in this season something will be said regarding the future of SOB.

Just a "wild" guess, but I think it's safe to be confident that at some point in this season something will be said regarding the future of SOB.

I assumed the same thing last off season, then last year during the summer, and now during this off season... I've given up hope on something being said.

I know this isn't much news... but the park has listed a set of rides to be open on Math and Science days, and Son of Beast isn't listed. I know it doesn't come as a great surprise...

A preliminary list of operating rides is as follows: WindSeeker, Diamondback, Firehawk, Delirium, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Racer, Beast, Flight of Fear, Viking Fury, Dodgems, Eiffel Tower, Vortex, Adventure Express, Carousel, The Crypt, Zephyr, Congo Falls (weather permitting) and Flight Deck. Due to the popularity of the roller coasters there will be longer lines so please do not assign only coaster activities to your students.

Source

Take that for what it's worth.

Has BLSC been open for past math and science days or has it always been closed?

Yes. Surprisingly, the Crypt has not been or would open later in the evenings while BLSC ran all day. Maybe they just forgot to put it on the list.

I bet they're opening the Crypt for the kids who would normally be in detention all day. "Yeah, you get to go to KI with the rest of the class, but you have to ride The Crypt." That kid won't act up anymore, no one wants to be punished with that.

I bet they're opening the Crypt for the kids who would normally be in detention all day. "Yeah, you get to go to KI with the rest of the class, but you have to ride The Crypt." That kid won't act up anymore, no one wants to be punished with that.

Literally made my laugh out loud. I appreciate that. :D